Southwest Airlines blocks AwardWallet

Southwest Airlines blocks AwardWallet

Seat availability, redemption opportunities, elite status, destinations, etc.

Re: Southwest Airlines blocks AwardWallet

Postby SiteAdmin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:05 am

Thanks, I've just upgraded your account.
SiteAdmin

Postby IndianGuru » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:03 pm

I too wrote to SouthWest Airlines and here's their vague reply -
We appreciate your taking the time to contact us about our Rapid Rewards program. Your feedback is very important to us, and we welcome the opportunity to respond.
Satish Talim
IndianGuru

Postby IndianGuru » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:53 pm

I just received another reply from SouthWest -
We regret that Southwest does not participate with third party companies who offer frequent flyer information on their web sites. Our reasoning lies in the fact that we can only safeguard a safe and secure program by keeping our Customers flight credits and Awards within our own internal system. While Award Wallet's intentions may be genuine, by allowing them to have access to Rapid Rewards Members' account information, we could potentially jeopardize not only our program's integrity, but our Members' personal information. Nonetheless, we understand your frustration in our decision; please know your concerns have been logged in our system.

Satish, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We appreciate your patronage.
Satish Talim
IndianGuru

Postby jerel2u » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Here is what I wrote to them:
I have a choice of the airlines I use, and by and large I have been very satisfied with Southwest. You've come a very long way since the days of old when flying on Southwest was characterised as being part of a herd of cattle. But your refusal to allow third-party software applications to access rewards information is both archaic and not in the best interest of your customers. Here is a quote from your standard reply:
"We regret that Southwest does not participate with third party companies who offer frequent flyer information on their web sites. Our reasoning lies in the fact that we can only safeguard a safe and secure program by keeping our Customers flight credits and Awards within our own internal system. While Award Wallet's intentions may be genuine, by allowing them to have access to Rapid Rewards Members' account information, we could potentially jeopardize not only our program's integrity, but our Members' personal information."
There are many such services, and it's my data, and it should be my choice to allow them access to my data, not yours. Award Wallet has been around for many years, and is very reputable. And there are many such examples with much more critical information than just reward miles and levels, such as financial and banking information. Your refusal to allow this access is superstitious and ill-informed, or else you totally lack faith in your computer systems and their ability to audit suspicious activity, which means you really shouldn't be online in the first place. All else being equal, I will book my flights on another airline that cares more about what works for me than for them.

I will post whatever reply I get from them here.
jerel2u

Postby SiteAdmin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:41 am

Thank you!
SiteAdmin

Postby brettpschultz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:07 am

Got my response from Southwest:

Dear Brett,

Thank you for your e-mail. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

We regret your disappointment that Southwest does not participate with third party companies who offer frequent flyer information on their web sites. Our reasoning lies in the fact that we can only safeguard our program by keeping our Customers' points and Awards within our own internal system. While the aggregator site's intentions may be genuine, by allowing them to have access to Rapid Rewards Members' account information, we could potentially jeopardize not only our program's integrity, but our Members' personal information. Nonetheless, we understand your frustration in our decision; please know your concerns included in our monthly summary, which is distributed among Senior Leadership.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you onboard one of our LUV jets again soon.

Sincerely,

Scott, Southwest Airlines

The file reference number for your e-mail is 22587927755.
brettpschultz

Postby lplitwin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:05 am

I sent this to Southwest in early August 2011:
I just signed up with AwardWallet to help me track my many rewards programs, for each of the 4 people in my family. I am extremely disappointed that Southwest is blocking electronic access to my Rapid Rewards information.

I've seen your standard response, and find it even more disappointing.

Every other major airline and countless financial institutions have been able to adequately address any security concerns. This sounds more like a failure by Southwest Rapid Rewards Information Technology to facilitate this extremely helpful service.

I have been very satisfied with many of the other aspects of Southwest Airlines and in many ways find it superior to other airlines’ products, but definitely NOT in this case. I sincerely hope you will reconsider your position.

And got this response 2 days later.
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We regret your disappointment that Southwest does not participate with third party companies who offer frequent flyer information on their web sites. Our reasoning lies in the fact that we can only safeguard a safe and secure program by keeping our Customers' points and Awards within our own internal system. While Award Wallet's intentions may be genuine, by allowing them to have access to Rapid Rewards Members' account information, we could potentially jeopardize not only our program's integrity, but our Members' personal information. Nonetheless, we understand your frustration in our decision; please know your concerns have been logged in our system.

Disappointing...
lplitwin

Postby SiteAdmin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:34 pm

thanks for writing!
SiteAdmin

Postby thomasneu » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:01 am

Here is what I wrote.. but I'm sure I'll get the same standard response as everyone else. But no harm in trying..

I am a loyal member of Southwest's Frequent Flyer program, but the fact that you don't allow third party companies such as Award Wallet to access MY account is not in the best interest of your customers. I've seen the standard replies that you've sent to others, but I truly hope that you will reconsider.
thomasneu

Postby SiteAdmin » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:23 pm

Thank you ;)
SiteAdmin

Postby btrang » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:27 am

I just sent this:

I have just signed up for your Rapid Rewards program and am disappointed to find out that I cannot access my Rapid Rewards information via AwardWallet.com, which is a website that I use to track all my Miles/Rewards across multiple programs. I request that you reconsider your policy to allow sites such as AwardWallet access to account information when the account holder permits it. It would be a great convenience.
btrang

Postby SiteAdmin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:39 am

Thank you!
SiteAdmin

Postby mattmikus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:55 am

Every person helps (or at least I'd like to believe)...

"I have been a Rapid Rewards member for quite a few years now, and I've been very happy with the level of customer service Southwest has provided. However, I'm also very disappointed that Southwest does not allow AwardWallet to access my Rapid Rewards data. I feel that I should be allowed to say who has access to my information. Please add me to the list of people who are disappointed with Southwest for not allowing sites like AwardWallet to access our information.

Matt
RR# ---------"
mattmikus

Postby mattmikus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:17 am

"Dear Matt,

Thanks for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We regret your disappointment that Southwest does not participate with third party companies who offer frequent flyer information on their web sites. Our reasoning lies in the fact that we can only safeguard a safe and secure program by keeping our Customers' points and Awards within our own internal system. While Award Wallet's intentions may be genuine, by allowing them to have access to Rapid Rewards Members' account information, we could potentially jeopardize not only our program's integrity, but our Members' personal information. Nonetheless, we understand your frustration in our decision; please know your concerns have been logged in our system.

Your support, patronage, and confidence are very important to us, and we look forward to seeing you onboard again soon; meanwhile, here's wishing you and yours a New Year of joy, togetherness, and LUV (SWA style, of course).

Sincerely,

Will, Southwest Airlines"
mattmikus

Postby paulxiaoma » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:31 am

Given the success of the AA plugin- can we expect some form of implementation for SW in the future?
paulxiaoma

Postby travellight » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:48 am

paulxiaoma wrote:Given the success of the AA plugin- can we expect some form of implementation for SW in the future?

This would be very helpful to me, too.
travellight

Postby SiteAdmin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Hehe, let us fight one major airline at a time ;)
SiteAdmin

Postby whttiger25 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks for contacting us with your Rapid Rewards inquiry. We welcome the opportunity to respond.

We regret your disappointment that Southwest does not participate with third party companies who offer frequent flyer information on their web sites. Our reasoning lies in the fact that we can only safeguard a safe and secure program by keeping our Customers' points and Awards within our own internal system. While Award Wallet's intentions may be genuine, by allowing them to have access to Rapid Rewards Members' account information, we could potentially jeopardize not only our program's integrity, but our Members' personal information. Nonetheless, we understand your frustration in our decision; please know your concerns have been logged in our system.

Once again, thank you for your suggestion. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon.

Sincerely,

Paula, Southwest Airlines

The file reference number for your e-mail is 26173376605.
whttiger25

Postby kingrussian1 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:23 am

Dear _______,

We regret your disappointment that Southwest does not participate with third party companies who offer frequent flyer information on their web sites. Our reasoning lies in the fact that we can only safeguard a secure program by keeping our Customers' points and Awards within our own internal system. While Award Wallet's intentions may be genuine, by allowing them to have access to Rapid Rewards Members' account information, we could potentially jeopardize not only our program's integrity, but our Members' personal information. Nonetheless, we understand your frustration in our decision; please know your concerns have been logged in our system.

Sincerely,

Jake, Southwest Airlines

The file reference number for your e-mail is 282*****126.
kingrussian1

Postby MilesChiGuy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:47 pm

My feedback to SouthWest.com for not letting me access my account via AwardWallet.

Why can't I access my account through AwardWallet.com? This is inconvenient for me but I don't think that was considered when the decision not to allow AW access. I thought SW was all about customer satisfaction?

Very disappointing.
MilesChiGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Award Programs