AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The Chase Freedom® 5% cash back categories for July to September, 2019 are gas stations and select streaming services. The deadline to activate these categories is September 14, 2019. Unlike some of its rotating-category competitors, the Freedom Card will give you retroactive credit for qualifying purchases made before you activate the bonus category—as long as you register before the deadline.
- Activate your 5% categories by September 14, 2019
- Eligible purchases that post to your account between July 1 and September 30, 2019, are eligible for the bonus
- Earn 5% cash back on the first $1,500 of spending (max $75 cash back), earn 1% after that.
- The promotion is valid at gas stations and select streaming services.
As mentioned above, as long as you make the September 14th deadline, you'll earn 5% cash back for all purchases for the entire quarter (up to $1,500), no matter when you activate. You can see the official Chase Freedom FAQ page for more details on activating and earning your cash back.
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases it s automatic
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 17.24-25.99%.
- 3% intro balance transfer fee when you transfer a balance during the first 60 days your account is open, with a minimum of $5.
- No annual fee
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
Select Streaming Services
Although the additional category isn't likely to make or break your quest to max out the $1,500 limit on 5% cash back, streaming services is a nice addition—especially with services that offer a discount when you pay annually. Chase lists the following merchants as eligible for the 5% bonus cash back:
- Fubo TV
- Apple Music
Activating Your Bonus
Fortunately, this part is incredibly easy; just enter your last name, zip code and the last 4 digits on your card on Chase's activation page.
With the recent gas-tax increase that took effect on July 1st in five different states, the current bonus category is well-timed. Summer is a great time for road trips, and now Chase Freedom® cardholders will get a significant return on their fuel purchases. One of our favorite things about gas stations is that they offer plentiful opportunities for bonus stacking—the art of earning rewards from multiple sources on a single purchase.
For folks that don't spend much on gas, this is still a great category because it is easy to find gift cards for other merchants you frequently shop with at your local station.
Although 5% cash back is great, 5X Ultimate Rewards is even better. If you have a premium Chase card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, or the Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card, you can move the points earned on the Freedom Card to one of these accounts and unlock the ability to transfer your Ultimate Rewards to travel partners.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.