AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
One of the best benefits of holding a Marriott Bonvoy credit card recently got even better. Marriott and Amex first introduced this benefit in April 2020, giving new cardholders up to 30 Marriott elite night credits for holding both a business and personal Marriott co-branded card.
Following the refresh of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card, cardholders can now receive up to 40 Marriott elite night credits per year if you hold Marriott's top tier personal card and the Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card!
Marriott Bonvoy Credit Cards
Over the years, Marriott has offered a dizzying array of co-branded cards. And its current portfolio can be a little tricky to figure out. Following Marriott's latest card update, there are now six Bonvoy credit cards available to new applicants:
- Earn 150,000 Marriott Bonvoy® bonus points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases on the Card within the first 3 months.
- Each Card renewal year, get up to $300 in statement credits per calendar year (up to $25 per month) for eligible purchases at restaurants worldwide.
- A Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite member will earn 50% more points on eligible purchases at participating hotels for each U.S. dollar or the currency equivalent that is incurred and paid for by the member.
- Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program. 3 points at Worldwide Restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- Marriott Brilliant Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Each calendar year after spending $60,000 on eligible purchases, Card Members are eligible to select an Earned Choice Award benefit. Benefit options include: Five (5) Suite Night Awards, 85K Free Night Award, and mattress and box spring $750 discount from Marriott Bonvoy Boutiques.
- $100 Luxury Property Credit: Enjoy your stay. Receive up to a $100 property credit for qualifying charges at The Ritz-Carlton® or St. Regis® when you book direct using a special rate for a two-night minimum stay using your Card.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®: Receive either a statement credit every 4 years after you apply for Global Entry ($100) or a statement credit every 4.5 years after you apply for a five-year membership through any Authorized Enrollment Provider for TSA PreCheck® (up to $85) when you pay the application fee with an eligible Card. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Each calendar year you can receive 25 Elite Night Credits toward the next level of Marriott Bonvoy Elite status. Limitations apply per Marriott Bonvoy member account. Benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express. Terms apply.
- Enroll in Priority Pass Select, which offers unlimited access to over 1,200 lounges in over 130 countries, regardless of which carrier or class you are flying. This allows you to relax before or between flights. You can enjoy snacks, drinks, and internet access in a quiet, comfortable location.
- Enjoy unlimited airport lounge visits when you enroll in Priority Pass™ Select membership.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on international purchases.
- Cell phone protection: You can be reimbursed for your costs to repair or replace your damaged or Stolen cell phone up to $800, subject to a $50 deductible, for 2 approved claims per 12-month period when your prior month's wireless bill was paid utilizing an Eligible Card Account. Terms and conditions apply. Coverage is provided by New Hampshire Insurance Company, an AIG Company.
- $650 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 6X points on purchases at Marriott Properties
- 3X points at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery
- 3X points on flights booked directly with airlines
- 2X points on all other eligible purchases
- Welcome Offer: Earn 75,000 Bonus Marriott Bonvoy Points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy® program.
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping.
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 7% discount off standard rates for reservations of standard guest rooms at hotels that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy program when you book directly. Terms and Conditions Apply.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy® points) at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy Complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite Status with your Card.
- Terms apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program
- 4x points for purchases made at restaurants worldwide, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
- 2x points on all other eligible purchases
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Pay no annual fee with the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card from Chase®!
- Earn up to 14X total points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy® with the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Card.
- 2X points for every $1 spent on other travel purchases (from airfare to taxis and trains).
- 1X point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Receive 15 Elite Night Credits annually, qualifying you for Silver Elite Status. Restrictions apply.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Earn unlimited Marriott Bonvoy® points and get Free Night Stays faster.
- 3X points for every $1 spent at over 7,000 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 2X points on other travel purchases (from airfare to taxis and trains)
- 1X point on all other purchases
- Earn 3 Free Night Awards (each night valued up to 50,000 points) after qualifying purchases.
- Earn 3X points per $1 on the first $6,000 spent in combined purchases each year on grocery stores, gas stations, and dining.
- Earn 1 Elite Night Credit towards Elite Status for every $5,000 you spend.
- 1 Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.
- Earn up to 17X total points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy® with the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Card.
- 2X points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Receive 15 Elite Night Credits annually, automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year, and path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each calendar year.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- 6X Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases
Plus the recently released Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful™ Card and Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express® Card
One of the main benefits of each of these cards is that—as the primary cardholder—you'll receive 15 elite night credits annually towards Marriott Bonvoy elite status (25 for the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card).
Historically, cardholders were limited to 15 nights a year—regardless of how many Bonvoy credit cards they held. But now, the policy is much better.
Marriott Bonvoy cardholders can now receive up to 40 Elite Nights per year depending on the cards you hold:
- 15 nights for having an entry-level or mid-tier consumer card
- 15 nights for having a business card
- and 25 for Marriott's top-tier Luxury card.
This distinction is important to note. You won't earn additional nights if you have two personal cards or two business cards.
Both Chase and Amex have updated their terms to reflect the new policy. You can see the updated policy appear under the terms and conditions on the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card or Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card cards:
“A maximum of 25 Elite Night Credits will be provided per Marriott Bonvoy Member Account, unless you have both an open Marriott Bonvoy Business Card account and an open Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card account; then, you will receive a combined maximum of 40 Elite Night Credits (25 Elite Night Credits as a benefit of an eligible Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card account plus 15 Elite Night Credits as a benefit of an eligible Marriott Bonvoy Business Card account). This benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express.”
And also the Bonvoy cards issued by Chase:
“A maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits will be awarded through this benefit per Marriott Bonvoy Member Account even if the Member has more than one credit card linked to their Marriott Bonvoy Member Account, unless you have both a small business Marriott Bonvoy credit card account and a consumer Marriott Bonvoy credit card account; then you may receive a combined maximum of 30 Elite Night Credits (15 per credit card account).”
Easier Elite Status
While complimentary Silver Elite status is…well…better than nothing, Bonvoy members don't really see significant value until they've reached the higher status levels—particularly Platinum Elite and Titanium Elite. With this updated policy, if you have both a personal and business Bonvoy credit card, you'll start the year with up to 40 Elite Night credits on your account.
Cardholders who currently have a personal and business Bonvoy credit card should see up to 40 elite nights post to their account early in the year. Since the Bonvoy status year typically runs through the end of February, you should see the changes around March 1 of each year. For example, AwardWallet's JT Genter starts each year just 20 nights shy of qualifying for Platinum Elite status. That's thanks to his Marriott Bonvoy Business Card and Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card cards:
Before you go rushing out to apply for multiple Bonvoy cards, there are a couple of things you may want to consider.
First, you can now receive complimentary Marriott Platinum status just by holding the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card. Second, you can now earn Gold Elite status from multiple Marriott cards.
So, if you can't see yourself staying the additional nights necessary for anything more than Gold Status, applying for the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Card, Marriott Bonvoy Business Card, or Amex Platinum could be a simpler means to that end.
Second, Chase and Amex have A LOT of restrictions on Marriott credit card welcome offers. The restrictions are so complex that we've published a dedicated post to help folks decipher them. Needless to say, before applying for a new Marriott credit card, be sure to confirm that you're eligible for the welcome offers.
Marriott has increased the maximum number of elite night credits members can receive from holding Bonvoy credit cards, giving new cardholders up to 40 nights per year just for holding a combo of rewards cards. This moves the annual starting point for Bonvoy members with one consumer card and one business card significantly.
Before this change, we relied on the other benefits and welcome offers to justify having more than one Bonvoy card. Now, for some people, the compounding benefit of elite nights could be reason enough alone. Now, you can get up to 40 nights' headstart, plus you'll potentially have 2 free night certificates from your credit cards to start your year off on the right foot.
Do you think it's worth holding multiple Bonvoy credit cards for Marriott elite status?
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card (Rates & Fees), and Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.