AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
American Airlines has announced a promotion where you can purchase miles with a discount of up to 35%. The promotion runs through September 30, 2018. The level of discount you receive will vary between 10% to 35% and depends on the number of miles you purchase.
- Promotion is valid on purchases through September 30, 2018, 11:59:59 PM CT
- The promotion is tiered; the more miles you purchase, the larger the discount
- You can buy a maximum of 150,000 miles per year
- There is a $35 transaction fee on the purchase of miles
- Only AA accounts older than 30 days are eligible to receive a discount
Your discount will depend on the number of miles you purchase and breaks down as follows:
- Purchase 10,000 to 19,000 miles and receive a discount of 10%
- Purchase 20,000 to 29,000 miles and receive a discount of 15%
- Purchase 30,000 to 49,000 miles and receive a discount of 20%
- Purchase 50,000 to 99,000 miles and receive a discount of 30%
- Purchase 100,000 to 150,000 miles and receive a discount of 35%
Purchasing the maximum number of miles (150,000) will set you back $3,126.97, which works out at 2.08 cents per mile.
Maximizing The Promotion
Fortunately, American Airlines processes its points purchase directly, so if you decide to go ahead with a purchase, it will code as spending with an airline. This means you can earn a bonus category for your purchase, and you are best using a credit card optimized for travel purchases to buy AA miles.
We have seen AA sell miles this year for less than 2 cents apiece, so you are better off waiting for American Airlines to introduce a better promotion. On the other hand, if you have a specific redemption in mind, and you can leverage the points you purchased for more than 2 cents apiece, then this promotion might be worth a closer look.
Source: One Mile At A Time
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.