AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Update: The booking window for this Southwest promotion closed on September 28. If you booked your flights by this date, you can travel through March 6, 2024 to qualify for the 50% off promo code.
If you're planning to hit the skies this fall, you're going to want to book (or rebook) your Southwest flights this week. Southwest is offering 50% off flights — both paid fares and award redemptions — when you use the promo code WOW50 and book flights to eligible destinations by September 28, 2023. That means you need to act fast to take advantage of this offer!
Here's a look at the key details of this new Southwest promotion to get 50% off.
Key Terms of This Southwest Promotion
- Book a Southwest Airlines flight by September 28, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. Central Time.
- Travel must take place between October 24, 2023 and March 6, 2024.
- Use the Southwest promo code WOW50 to receive 50% off.
- Promo code only available on Southwest Wanna Get Away and Wanna Get Away Plus fares
- Travel is blacked out from:
- Continental U.S.: November 17-22 and 25-27, December 21-23 and 26-30, January 1-2 and 6-7, February 16, and February 19
- SNA (Orange County): October 24 to December 31, January 1-2 and 6-7, February 16, and February 19
- TO international destinations, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico: November 17-19, December 15 to January 8, January 11-13, and February 15-18
- FROM international destinations, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico: November 24-27, December 15 to January 8, January 15-16, and February 23-27
- Applies to both new cash and award tickets.
Southwest doesn't charge change or cancellation fees, so you can book your flights now even if you're uncertain about your trip. If something comes up, you can cancel or change your tickets later with no penalty.
This promotion only applies to new bookings with Southwest. If you have flights booked already, it could be worth canceling them and rebooking (assuming the price hasn't increased too much to negate the 50% off discount code).
Here are some examples of deals we are finding:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Las Vegas (LAS) for $30 or 1,123 Southwest points one-way
Atlanta (ATL) to Orlando (MCO) for $42 or 2,088 Southwest points one-way
Seattle–Tacoma (SEA) to San Jose (SJC) for $42 or 2,088 Southwest points each way
It's nice to see these deals offered by airlines — especially on a revenue-based frequent flyer program such as Southwest Rapid Rewards. If you need more Southwest points for a redemption, you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to Southwest at a 1:1 transfer ratio. AwardWallet testing shows that transfers are typically instantaneous. Alternatively, you can transfer several types of hotel points to Southwest — including Marriott Bonvoy points at a 3:1 transfer ratio:
While it won't help you with this promotion, you can stock up on Ultimate Rewards points by signing up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card — which is currently offering a 60,000-point bonus after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining, and 2x on all other travel purchases, and $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
- Member FDIC
- 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2025
- 5X points on travel purchased through Chase
- 3X points on dining at restaurants worldwide
- 3X points on eligible streaming services
- 3X points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart, and wholesale clubs)
- 2X points on all other travel
- 1X point per dollar spent on all other purchases
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.