AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Update: Flights must have been booked before September 17 for travel between September 15 and October 31, 2020.
If you're planning to head to the skies before the end of October, your Southwest Rapid Rewards points just got 25% more valuable. Southwest is offering 20% off award flights when you use the promo code SAVE20NOW and book flights by September 17. That means you need to act fast to take advantage of this offer.
Key Terms of This Southwest Promotion
- Book a flight with Southwest Airlines before midnight on September 17, 2020
- Travel must take place between September 15 and October 31, 2020
- Use the promo code SAVE20NOW with your Southwest Rapid Rewards points and receive 20% off
- Only valid on new award tickets
Southwest doesn't charge change or cancellation fees. So, you can book your flights now even if you're uncertain about your trip. If something comes up, you can cancel or change your tickets later with no penalty.
Unfortunately for travelers that already have travel booked before the end of October, this discount doesn't apply to changing existing award flights. While you can still change previously-purchased award tickets, the promo code can only be applied to newly-purchased awards. So, you may want to cancel your existing reservation and rebook it with the discount code.
Southwest Rapid Rewards points have a fairly fixed value. Award flights cost between 76 and 78 Southwest points per dollar of the base fare of a revenue flight. That means that when cash fares are cheap, award flights are too. That means this 20% discount just made every Southwest redemption 25% more valuable.
Here are some examples of deals we are finding:
Atlanta (ATL) to Denver (DEN) for 2,684 points one-way
Los Angeles (LAX) to San Francisco (SFO) for 2,372 points one-way
Chicago Midway (MDW) to Nashville (BNA) for 2,372 points one-way
New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Chicago Midway (MDW) for 4,244 points one-way
Travel is certainly up in the air these days. I consider myself a permanent traveler and I'm a firm believer in the basic human right of freedom of movement. So, it's nice to see these deals offered by airlines—especially on a revenue-based frequent flyer program such as Southwest Rapid Rewards.
Concurrently with this promotion, Southwest Airlines are blocking one-third of their seats until (at least) October 31. So, you'll have the comfort of getting some extra space. Of course, thanks to Southwest's open seat policy, you can still choose to sit next to a travel partner.
If you need more Southwest points for a redemption, you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to Southwest at a 1:1 transfer ratio. AwardWallet testing shows that transfers are typically instantaneous.
While it won't help you for this promotion, you can stock up on Ultimate Rewards points by signing up for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card—which is currently offering a 80,000-point bonus after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That's 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
- 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide
- 1X point per dollar spent on all other purchases
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.