AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Wyndham, Best Western, and Choice Hotels have each launched promotions offering a free night—in one form or another—after completing as few as two paid nights. While each program has its own sets of rules to consider, these promotions are worth pursuing if they align with your travel plans.
Wyndham's promotion is called the Make Your Break Sale. The sale breaks down into two parts. The first of which consists of promotional pricing of “up to 15% off” at participating hotels.
In most of my preliminary searches, the promotional pricing was typically the same, or even slightly higher, than the Wyndham Rewards Member Rate. But, you need to be a member of Wyndham Rewards to register for this sale, so it seems like the sale portion of this promotion provides limited value.
Stay Twice, Earn a Free Night
The second part of Wyndham's Make Your Break Sale lets members earn enough points for a free night award after completing two qualifying stays. However, it's not as lucrative as it seems, and there are a few important terms and conditions to keep in mind:
- You must first register for the promotion here.
- Book two separate stays by April 26th, and complete (check-out of) these stays by May 21, 2020.
- After completing two qualifying stays, you will be awarded an additional 5,500 points.
- Since each stay will earn at least 1,000 base points, the total earnings will be at least 7,500 Wyndham Rewards Points (1,000 base points for stay #1 + 1,000 base points for stay #2 + 5,500 bonus points).
- Bonus points will post within 2-4 weeks after completion of the second stay.
- Stays must be booked directly with Wyndham—through their website, mobile app, or by calling Wyndham's reservation phone line.
- Stays completed before registering for the promotion will not qualify.
With over 9,000 hotels across 20 brands, Wyndham is currently the largest hotel loyalty program in the world by total properties. Properties are assigned to one of three award categories: 7,500 points, 15,000 points, or 30,000 points per night. After earning a minimum of 7,500 points through this promotion, you'll be able to book a free night at any of the hotels within the lowest tier.
Compared to Wyndham's promotion, Best Western's Rewards Rush Promotion is both simpler and more lucrative:
- Members must first register for the promotion here.
- After staying two nights now through April 20, 2020, members will receive a certificate good for one free night at any Best Western property in the U.S., Canada, or the Caribbean.
- Only stays at Best Western properties in the U.S., Canada, or the Caribbean will qualify.
- Best Western will issue the certificate via email within 2-3 weeks of completing the second qualifying night.
- The free night certificate will expire 70 days after fulfillment.
- Limit of one free night certificate per member.
- Members who reside anywhere worldwide are eligible to participate in the promotion.
- Check out Best Western's promotion page for other terms and conditions.
While the short shelf-life of the certificate can limit its use, it can still be valuable if you already have a stay in mind. It's especially valuable that you can redeem the free night at any Best Western property.
Choice Privileges regularly runs this promotion. Effectively, after two qualifying stays, Choice Privileges members will earn enough bonus points for their total earnings to be at least 8,000 points. This is enough for a reward night at over 1,000 Choice properties.
- Choice members must register for the promotion here before checking out of their first stay.
- Only stays between March 7 and April 26, 2020, will qualify.
- Choice Privileges will award between 5,000 – 8,000 bonus points for every two qualifying stays. The exact bonus will depend on the total base points earned from the stays.
- Bonus points are supposed to show up within 72 hours of an eligible checkout. However, in practice, some Choice properties can take more than a week to report a stay to Choice Privileges.
- Members have to make their bookings directly through Choice's website, mobile app, or by phone to be eligible.
- This promotion is only available for members based in the U.S. and Canada.
- The room rate must be at least $40 per night, so make sure to check the base rate before taxes if you're booking a cheap stay. Stays booked with Choice Privileges points won't count as an eligible stay.
- Hotels in the following countries are excluded from this promotion: Japan, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Lithuania, Estonia, and Latvia.
- Members can earn this promotional bonus multiple times.
- See Choice's T&C page for all other exclusions and conditions.
The fact that you can earn the bonus points multiple times makes this promotion particularly lucrative if you have a lot of travel planned during the qualifying period. While 8,000 points can get you a free night at many Choice Hotels, members have the flexibility to use these points at more-expensive properties. Choice points can be especially valuable when redeemed at some of the higher tier properties in Scandinavia.
Of the three, Best Western certainly has the most generous promotion—offering a free night certificate for just two qualifying nights. Meanwhile, both the Choice and Wyndham promotions are pretty similar. Both require two separate stays and will reward members with enough points to book a reward night at a lowest-tier hotel. If you have a lot of one-night stays, you'll want to focus on the Choice promotion, as it is the only one that lets members earn the bonus multiple times.
While I wouldn't go out of my way to book additional hotel stays specifically for these promotions, I would certainly see if there was a way to maximize my earnings if I already had travel planned. Even if you're not planning to complete a stay, it can't hurt to register for all three promotions now in case you end up booking a stay at one of the three.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.