AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Rather build your airline mileage balance than earn IHG points? You have the option to earn airline miles with one of dozens of airlines instead of points for your IHG stays. And now, you can earn 1,000 bonus United miles for opting to earn United MileagePlus miles and completing a stay now through September 30, 2021.
However, there are limitations to this bonus miles promotion that are important to keep in mind.
Earn 1,000 United MileagePlus Bonus Miles Promotion
IHG Rewards members can opt to earn airline miles instead of IHG Rewards points. If you choose United MileagePlus, you'll earn 2 United miles per $1 spent at IHG hotels. On top of that, IHG has launched a new promotion allowing members to earn 1,000 bonus United miles. Here's how to take advantage of this offer.
- First, sign in to your IHG Rewards account and select United Airlines MileagePlus as your earning preference.
- Book a stay for two or more consecutive nights at participating IHG properties at the “preferred rate” before September 30, 2021.
- Earn 1,000 United MileagePlus bonus miles for every completed IHG stay on top of the standard 2X earning rate.
- There is a limit of 15,000 bonus miles you can earn with this promotion.
Unfortunately, it seems that the “preferred rate” is the Best Flexible rate — which is the most expensive rate. However, I wasn't able to personally verify this fact. So if you're able to find this promotion with another rate, please leave a comment below.
Also, the promotion states that the promotion is only valid on stays of 2 or more nights. However, the terms and conditions state that an eligible stay is 1 or more consecutive nights (could have been a copy-and-paste error from an earlier IHG promotion).
Terms and Conditions
- United MileagePlus bonus miles will be awarded to your MileagePlus account within 4-6 weeks.
- This offer qualifies for IHG Rewards and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, discount, or promotion, and has no cash value.
- See the IHG website for further terms and conditions, including the full list of which hotels are participating in this offer.
Transferring IHG points to United miles
In addition to earning United miles from IHG stays, you can also transfer IHG Rewards points to United. The transfer rate is 10,000 IHG Rewards points => 2,000 United MileagePlus miles.
In recent redemptions, AwardWallet users have averaged 0.73 cents per IHG point and 2.66 cents per United mile. So, you'd be giving up around $73 worth of hotel stays for around $53 worth of flights. So, you should only transfer IHG points to United miles if you need a few more United miles to complete an award — or if you value IHG Rewards points at a lower rate.
This might be a good promotion if you're trying to rack up your United MileagePlus miles. However, it's likely not worth it if you have to book the Best Flexible rate. Then again, if you want that maximum flexibility for cancellations and would use the Best Flexible rate for your booking anyway, then perhaps you can take advantage of this.
Don't forget to check out the other active IHG promotions, such as getting a free night when joining or renewing as an InterContinental Ambassador, or the bonus for becoming a new IHG member.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.