AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
United just relaunched its Mile Play promotion. With the promotion, you can earn bonus United miles for completing individually tailored tasks. Typically, United sets the goals/tasks based on your flying history with United. With the reduced level of flying over the past two years, you may find your current offer quite generous as United tries to tempt you back into flying with them more regularly.
The Mile Play promotion is targeted. That means you will need to log into your United account to see what tasks United set for you. One thing to note is that this is not a universal promotion. Not all MileagePlus members will receive an offer every time the promotion is updated.
United Mile Play General Key Terms
- You need to register for the promotion by September 30, 2022.
- All promotion activities must be completed by September 30, 2022.
- Only activities booked after registration are eligible for the promotion.
- Allow six to eight weeks after the end of the promotion for the bonus miles to post to your account.
Example Mile Play Promotions
The goals for individual Mile Play promotions will vary by individual United MileagePlus accounts. Typically, you will receive something along the lines of “Book and take a trip X time(s) to get XX bonus award miles”. With each offer being tailored, yours will reflect your recent travel history with United.
So if you rarely fly United, you may get a bonus for a single flight — like this Mile Play promotion offer that I was targeted for:
If you fly United more often, you might get a more demanding offer. For example, this United Mile Play offer from a previous version required me to fly United twice — paying at least $150 each — to earn 5,900 bonus miles:
The specific terms and conditions are listed at the bottom of the offer. One example from this time around:
- Member must register for this promotion on or prior to September 30, 2022.
- Only transactions initiated after registration and completed on or prior to September 30, 2022 will qualify toward satisfaction of the offer requirements.
- All flight activity for applicable Trip must be complete on or prior to September 30, 2022.
- Each Trip must have a fare (as defined below) equal to or greater than $150.
For the purpose of these offers, a “trip” is defined by United as follows:
“Trip” is defined as each unique travel itinerary as documented by United with a confirmation number.
So, you can book a trip as two one-ways to get two qualifying trips for the sake of this promotion. Just make sure that you meet the minimum cost to make it a qualifying trip.
Related reading: The Ultimate Guide to United MileagePlus
United Mile Play Promotion Restrictions
Although the offer seems widely available, not all MileagePlus accounts will be targeted for the United Mile Play promotion. It is not entirely clear what exactly are the exclusion criteria. However, restrictions may be due to the geographical location of your United account, your mileage balance, or the age of your United account.
Other Ways of Earning United Miles
While the United Mile Play promotion is a great way to earn bonus United miles, it's far from the only way. Chase offers a full lineup of United credit cards that can turn your everyday purchases into miles.
- Earn up to 150,000 bonus miles. Earn 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, earn an additional 75,000 miles after you spend $20,000 total on purchases in the first 6 months your account is open.
- Receive a 5,000-mile "better together" bonus each anniversary when you have both the United℠ Business Card and a personal Chase United® credit card.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United® purchases, dining including eligible delivery services, at gas stations, office supply stores, and on local transit and commuting.
- Earn 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases. Plus, employee cards at no additional cost - miles earned from their purchases accrue in your account so you can earn rewards faster.
- Enjoy a free first checked bag - a savings of up to $140 per roundtrip (terms apply), 2 United Club℠ one-time passes per year, and priority boarding privileges.
- Get one-year complimentary DashPass, a membership for both DoorDash and Caviar that provides unlimited deliveries with $0 delivery fees and lower service fees on eligible orders. After that, you are automatically enrolled in DashPass at the current monthly rate. Activate by 12/31/24.
- $100 United® travel credit after 7 United® flight purchases of $100 or more each anniversary year.
- 2x on United® purchases
- 2x on local transit and commuting- including train tickets, taxicabs, mass transit, tolls and ride share services
- 2x at gas stations, restaurants and office supply stores
- 1x on all other purchases
Related: How to Earn United Miles
If you are just a few miles short of a specific redemption and don't hold a united cobranded credit card, you still have options to boost your mileage balance. You can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to United. Transfers are done at a ratio of 1:1 with a minimum transfer of 1,000 points. Typically transfers happen instantaneously.
If you are a United member, it only takes seconds to register and check your offer. On the one hand, your offer may be average. However, you may be nicely surprised to see that you have been given an attractive proposition. If that is the case and you typically fly with other airlines, you may find that switching one or two flights over to United to earn bonus miles is an easy win. Regular united fliers, on the other hand, may find their assigned task list more extensive and expensive.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.