AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
United just relaunched its Mile Play promotion. With the promotion, you can earn bonus United miles for completing individually tailored tasks. Typically, United sets the goals/tasks based on your flying history with United. If you haven't flown United much recently, you may find your current offer quite generous as United tries to tempt you back into flying with them more regularly.
The Mile Play promotion is targeted. That means you will need to log into your United account to see what tasks United set for you. One thing to note is that this is not a universal promotion. Some members will have great offers, some will have bad offers, and some members will see nothing; that's because the offers are targeted.
United Mile Play General Key Terms
- You need to register for the promotion by September 20, 2023.
- All promotion activities must be completed by September 20, 2023.
- Only activities booked after registration are eligible for the promotion.
- Allow six to eight weeks after the end of the promotion (September 20) for the bonus miles to post to your account.
Example Mile Play Promotions
The goals for individual Mile Play promotions will vary by individual United MileagePlus accounts. Typically, you will receive something along the lines of “Book and take a trip X time(s) to get XX bonus award miles”. With each offer being tailored, yours will reflect your recent travel history with United.
So if you rarely fly United, you may get a bonus for a single flight — like this Mile Play offer for 3,200 bonus miles after a single flight of $100 or more:
If you fly United occasionally, you might get a more demanding offer, such as two flights costing at least $175 each to earn 3,800 miles or two flights costing $225 each to earn 17,000 bonus miles:
And if you fly United even more often, you might have to fly three times to earn the Mile Play bonus, though you'll earn a paltry 5,000 miles:
However, you might get an offer for 26,000 miles after three flights of $200 each:
United Mile Play fine print
The specific terms and conditions are listed at the bottom of the offer. One example from this time around:
- Member must register for this promotion on or prior to September 20, 2023.
- Only transactions initiated after registration and completed on or prior to September 20, 2023 will qualify toward satisfaction of the offer requirements.
- Partial completion of required activities will not earn any bonus.
- Each trip must have a fare (as defined below) equal to or greater than $225 (other offers require flights of just $175).
For the purpose of these offers, a “trip” is defined by United as follows:
“Trip” is defined as each unique travel itinerary as documented by United with a confirmation number.
For this promotion, only dollars spent on the “fare” on eligible flights operated by United® and United Express® will qualify toward meeting spending milestones. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, will not be counted towards spending milestones. Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by Star Alliance™ member airline or a United MileagePlus® partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with “016”) will not qualify for this offer. The “fare” is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry standard exchange rate.
Thus, you can book a trip as two one-ways to get two qualifying trips for the sake of this promotion. Just make sure that you meet the minimum cost to make it a qualifying trip.
United Mile Play Promotion Restrictions
Although the offer seems widely available, not all MileagePlus accounts will be targeted for the United Mile Play promotion. It is not entirely clear what exactly are the exclusion criteria. However, restrictions may be due to the geographical location of your United account, your mileage balance, or the age of your United account.
Other Ways of Earning United Miles
United Mile Play promotion is a great way to earn bonus United miles. However, United offers several other ways to rack up miles. Chase offers a full lineup of United credit cards that can turn your everyday purchases into miles.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Receive a 5,000-mile "better together" bonus each anniversary when you have both the United℠ Business Card and a personal Chase United® credit card.
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on United® purchases, dining including eligible delivery services, at gas stations, office supply stores, and on local transit and commuting.
- Earn 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases. Plus, employee cards at no additional cost - miles earned from their purchases accrue in your account so you can earn rewards faster.
- Enjoy a free first checked bag - a savings of up to $140 per roundtrip (terms apply), 2 United Club℠ one-time passes per year, and priority boarding privileges.
- $100 United® travel credit after 7 United flight purchases of $100 or more each anniversary year.
- Member FDIC
- 2x on United® purchases
- 2x on local transit and commuting- including train tickets, taxicabs, mass transit, tolls and ride share services
- 2x at gas stations, restaurants and office supply stores
- 1x on all other purchases
Related: How To Earn United Miles
If you are just a few miles short of a specific redemption and don't hold a United cobranded credit card, you still have options for transferring points into your United account:
If you are a United member, it only takes seconds to register and check your offer for this round of Mile Play. And there's no downside to registering. Even if you don't plan on flying United in the next two months, your travel plans may change. It's worth registering to give yourself the option later.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.