Totals Don't Include Custom Account Balances

This section of our forum is now closed. Please use the "Contact Us" form to report any issues you may have with AwardWallet: https://awardwallet.com/contact.php
Forum rules
This section of our forum is now closed. Please use the "Contact Us" form to report any issues you may have with AwardWallet: https://awardwallet.com/contact.php

Postby rdraper » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:35 pm

Why does the total not include custom account balances?
rdraper

Re: Totals Don't Include Custom Account Balances

Postby SiteAdmin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:55 am

This is so that you can't spoof the total by just adding a custom program.
SiteAdmin

Postby rdraper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:21 am

SiteAdmin wrote:This is so that you can't spoof the total by just adding a custom program.

So what's the purpose of the total? Is it for the user's benefit to see the total balance in all their accounts? If so, I would think custom programs should be included. If someone wants to juice their total, they're only fooling themselves. What's the harm?

If the total is used for other purposes (such as determining type of wallet card), then I'd think there would be better ways of handling that. Can't that be an internal calculation? I'm not clear on why this should prevent someone from getting an accurate picture of their total balance.
rdraper

Postby SiteAdmin » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:36 pm

You are correct. The total could have two purposes: (1) For your own benefit, to do checksum validations, etc. (2) For status / bragging. This is so that you could post your totals to Facebook, or get a gold vs. silver AwardWallet OneCard. If we ditch the idea of status then I 100% agree with you that users should be able to spoof the totals as they would only be fooling themselves. If we try to keep and support the gold cards then we have to explain to users - "how come I got a silver card when my total is over 1 million? Please send me a new card." I don't want to have this problem. Or if we let users spoof the totals then the whole concept of gold vs. silver cards is meaningless and we invested thousands of dollars into those cards and into the process to print different cards. Hope that makes sense, I know this is not what you want to hear but at this point I don't see a resolution. Actually the only resolution i see is we need to be able to support all of the possible loyalty programs starting with AA and Southwest. I think if we supported AA and Southwest we would not be having this conversation.
SiteAdmin

Postby rdraper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:52 pm

SiteAdmin wrote:I think if we supported AA and Southwest we would not be having this conversation.

You're dead on with that one. :D

Thanks for the response.

Possibly the solution is a dual / alternate total? One for Award Wallet status qualification and one for personal use only? As an aside, if someone really wanted to, aren't there are other ways to spoof totals such as registering someone else's account (e.g. spouse) under your name?
rdraper

Postby SiteAdmin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Yes there are other ways to spoof the totals but if you have 300K total miles you are not going to be able (at least easily) show that you have 3 million. With a custom entry you could make it look like you have 3 trillion, by adding 6 more zeros. Having alternative total will make my life personally more difficult as I would have to answer more questions: why is there a difference and how do i get the bigger number to show up on the card, but just like with any other feature if enough people ask for it, we will implement it. I need to hear from others on this one.
SiteAdmin

Postby rdraper » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:04 am

Fair enough
rdraper

Postby crzn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:17 am

rdraper wrote:
SiteAdmin wrote:This is so that you can't spoof the total by just adding a custom program.

So what's the purpose of the total? Is it for the user's benefit to see the total balance in all their accounts? If so, I would think custom programs should be included. If someone wants to juice their total, they're only fooling themselves. What's the harm?

If the total is used for other purposes (such as determining type of wallet card), then I'd think there would be better ways of handling that. Can't that be an internal calculation? I'm not clear on why this should prevent someone from getting an accurate picture of their total balance.

+1
The only reason I have not renewed my "upgrade" at award wallet is this issue. I just want to see my point totals I think most members want to track their points and could care less about the color of an optional card. Punish me to save face regarding card color! Ridiculous.
crzn

Postby SiteAdmin » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:40 pm

The problem with having two totals is that users will ask why is there a difference between total on the main page and total on the card. We would be inconsistent. Thanks for your input though, we will correct the total on the main page and then deal with the questions about this inconsistency.
SiteAdmin

Postby crzn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:19 pm

"Thanks for your input though, we will correct the total on the main page....." Thank you, I will upgrade my account as soon as the totals are updated.

VERY COOL!!! :D
crzn

Postby SiteAdmin » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:37 pm

Yes, you win :) I was told it is implemented. If you see problems please let us know.
SiteAdmin

Postby crzn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:13 pm

SiteAdmin wrote:Yes, you win :) I was told it is implemented. If you see problems please let us know.

Thank you!! :P Upgrading now!
crzn

Postby rdraper » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:00 pm

I logged in and was pleasantly surprised to see my point total now reflective of all accounts. Thank you very much.
rdraper

Postby SiteAdmin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Sure thing!
SiteAdmin

Postby facula » Mon May 28, 2012 6:22 pm

Should the total include Southwest now, or just the custom accounts? I see if I add a custom account it adds it to the total, but my Southwest points don't seem to be included.
facula

Postby SiteAdmin » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Thanks, let us look into it.
SiteAdmin

Postby SiteAdmin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:52 pm

I was told this has been fixed.
SiteAdmin

Return to Technical Issues