AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The Award Travel 101 podcast is back with more Award Travel 101 member questions, what to do with a husband who cashed in all of a couple's points and which programs offer extreme value in building a Round-The-World flight. If you want us to air your question, send us an email or reach out to us in the Award Travel 101 Facebook Community.
Award Travel 101 Podcast Show Format
We break each show into six sections:
- Question/Win of the Week — asked or shared by members of the Award Travel 101 community
- News & Enhanced Offers
- What Bonuses Did We Get — which will tell you what credit cards we're working on and why
- Trip Updates
- Highlight Feature
- What You Didn't Know — a feature dedicated to a big or small tip that will help you better maximize the value you receive from your rewards.
How to Listen to the Award Travel 101 Podcast
You can find us anywhere you listen to other fine podcasts including:
Previous Episode Show Notes
- 1 — Meet Award Travel 101 Community Administrators Angie & Joe
- 2 — Booking a Dream (African Safari) Trip
- 3 — Creating Memories Through Big And Small Trips
- 4 — 8 Steps to Better Award Travel
- 5 — Cruise (on Points), Racking and Stacking, and Keep or Kick it to the Curb
- 6 — Transfer Bonuses, Hyatt Bonus Journeys, and Benefits of AwardWallet
- 7 — So Many Program Changes with AwardWallet’s JT Genter
- 8 — Hyatt Changes, AA Domestic First Class Routes, and Meet the Mods (Jackie Wisniewski)
- 9 — Sapphire Lounge Opening, New Bonuses, Meet the Mods (Jerod Morales), and Business Class for Six
- 10 — When to Part with Points and Angie's Safari Trip
- 11 — AvGeeks, Spreadsheets, & Cheatsheets – Meet the Mods (Mike Zaccheo)
- 12 — Status Matching for More Value
- 13 — How Often Do You Get a New Card
- 14 – Incredible Trip to New Zealand on Points, Plus a Trip to the Freddie Awards
- 15 — Best Card for Groceries & Award Travel Community Meetup
- 16 — Citi Product Change Rules and Meet the Team: Allison Caraway
Award Travel 101 Podcast Episode 17 Show Notes
Post of the Week (From the Award Travel 101 Group)
Reva Palmer Cook: “Anyone want to take my husband? This man cashed in all their UR to pay the bill!! What would you do if this happened to you, and is there any way to recover?”
News & Enhanced Offers
- Citi 25% transfer bonus to Flying Blue through 6/17
- United increases the cost of awards
- Purchase LifeMiles for 1.32 cents (which has since dropped to 1.25 cents) or Aeroplan miles for 1.24 cents each. Is it worth it?
- Angie — P2 (Player 2) has a reunion so we’ll be piggybacking a family trip onto that. Planning to use Southwest travel funds and Companion Pass to book the flights and AutoSlash for the rental car.
- Joe — it's been over 2 months since kid's passport applications were submitted. Hoping those come though. Looking to swap out the hotel in Split. The current property isn't a great value in points + I can earn a nice chunk of miles (and Loyalty Points) toward American status.
What Bonuses Did We Get?
- Angie — Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card (see Ink Unlimited review here) and Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® (read who's eligible for the AA Platinum Select here) — still working on both sign-up bonuses.
- Joe — Nothing new
Highlight Feature: Round-The-World Trips
Which award programs allow for around-the-world trips and what are some of the basics?
- Carriers to use:
- Brief overview of each program such as number of segments, main rules to watch out for, idiosyncrasies of each program
What You Didn't Know
If you have to cancel a trip and there’s a cancellation fee, see if there’s been a schedule change that gives you free cancellation now or can you actually change the ticket to a different date (with potentially a future schedule change) for less money. All carriers are different in terms of how much of a schedule change there needs to be and whether a change in your travel dates would be sufficient.
Where To Find the Award Travel 101 Community
For questions, you can join us in the free 94,000+ member Award Travel 101 Community.
- If you want to jump into more intermediate and advanced strategies, our Award Travel 201 community ($89.99 annually) is filled with those who want to dig into the weeds, looking for more outsized value.
- To book time with our team to discuss how to better your earning and burning strategies, check out Award Travel 1-on-1.
- You can also email us at email@example.com.
- Meetup sold out, but you can waitlist
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.