AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Update: Offers discussed in this episode are no longer available.
The Award Travel 101 podcast is back with new lounges, great new offer from Bask Bank, and how to avoid some of the issues we've made. If you want us to air your question, send us an email or reach out to us in the Award Travel 101 Facebook Community.
Shoutout to Thrifty Traveler Premium for partnering with this episode of the Award Travel 101 Podcast
Finding award space can be tough. Wouldn't it be amazing to get alerts when lie-flat business class space opens up? Thrifty Traveler Premium does just that.
Thrifty Traveler's army of flight deal analysts are searching 24/7 for flight deals so you don't have to. These deals are bookable with cash or points and miles flying in economy, business, and first class cabins. Never miss another incredible award deal by subscribing to Thrifty Traveler Premium.
Some recent examples include:
- New Zealand for 50K (went as low as 37K) round-trip in Economy
- Amsterdam/Paris for 33K one-way in Business
- London for 150K round-trip in First
Award Travel 101 Podcast Show Format
We break each show into six sections:
- Question/Win of the Week — asked or shared by members of the Award Travel 101 community
- News & Enhanced Offers
- What Bonuses Did We Get — which will tell you what credit cards we're working on and why
- Trip Updates
- Highlight Feature
- What You Didn't Know — a feature dedicated to a big or small tip that will help you better maximize the value you receive from your rewards.
How to Listen to the Award Travel 101 Podcast
Previous Episode Show Notes
- 1 — Meet Award Travel 101 Community Administrators Angie & Joe
- 2 — Booking a Dream (African Safari) Trip
- 3 — Creating Memories Through Big And Small Trips
- 4 — 8 Steps to Better Award Travel
- 5 — Cruise (on Points), Racking and Stacking, and Keep or Kick it to the Curb
- 6 — Transfer Bonuses, Hyatt Bonus Journeys, and Benefits of AwardWallet
- 7 — So Many Program Changes with AwardWallet’s JT Genter
- 8 — Hyatt Changes, AA Domestic First Class Routes, and Meet the Mods (Jackie Wisniewski)
- 9 — Sapphire Lounge Opening, New Bonuses, Meet the Mods (Jerod Morales), and Business Class for Six
- 10 — When to Part with Points and Angie's Safari Trip
- 11 — AvGeeks, Spreadsheets, & Cheatsheets – Meet the Mods (Mike Zaccheo)
- 12 — Status Matching for More Value
- 13 — How Often Do You Get a New Card
- 14 – Incredible Trip to New Zealand on Points, Plus a Trip to the Freddie Awards
- 15 — Best Card for Groceries & Award Travel Community Meetup
- 16 — Citi Product Change Rules and Meet the Team: Allison Caraway
- 17 — Husband Cashes in All Their Points AND Programs To Book Round The World Flights
- 18 — Gorgeous Pictures from Iran and Cards That Earn Status
- 19 — The Tools We Use
Award Travel 101 Podcast Episode 20 Show Notes
Post of the Week (From the Award Travel 101 Group)
Two posts this week about lounges. I picked these because I believe some of us have lost our excitement, whereas many wish they could do what we do.
- Angie — nothing new sadly!
- Joe —
- As this episode airs, I’ll be making my final flight home from Croatia, but as we record it, I’m getting ready to leave. Will I get the Emirates First upgrade on the A380? How I'll be flying Delta First for (two people) just 15K and $125.
- We have everything in place at a minimum, but…
- Still hoping for Lufthansa First, and I’ve seen some inside a 1-3 day window, but not for my dates
- Should I have canceled Punta Cana? Received 228K miles/points back (30K Frontier, 39K American, 80K United, 79K Hyatt, and $1,400 back between fees and one cash fare booked)
- Booked mom & daughter (end-of-summer trip) to Indian Shores (used AA miles down) while son and I do Las Vegas and NYC
Highlight Feature: Mistakes We've Made
- Buying (transfer) points from family
- Going crazy with apps/not understanding app rules
- Getting airline/program-specific awards before flexible currencies
- Late charges — not paying enough attention to due dates
- Booking without checking program flexibility
- Chasing status — how much does status cost (opportunity costs?)
What You Didn't Know
How many times can I change the companion name on my Southwest Companion Pass?
Where To Find the Award Travel 101 Community
For questions, you can join us in the free 95,000+ member Award Travel 101 Community.
- If you want to jump into more intermediate and advanced strategies, our Award Travel 201 community ($89.99 annually) is filled with those who want to dig into the weeds, looking for more outsized value.
- To book time with our team to discuss how to better your earning and burning strategies, check out Award Travel 1-on-1.
- You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Meetup sold out, but you can waitlist.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.