AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The Award Travel 101 podcast is back with more member questions, enhanced offers, and AwardWallet Editor-In-Chief, JT Genter. If you want us to air your question, send us an email or reach out to us in the Award Travel 101 Facebook Community.
Award Travel 101 Podcast Show Format
We break each show into six sections:
- Question of the Week — asked by members of the community
- News & Enhanced Offers
- What Bonuses Did We Get — which will tell you what credit cards we're working on and why
- Trip Updates
- Highlight Feature
- What You Didn't Know — a feature dedicated to a big or small tip that will help you better maximize the value you receive from your rewards.
How to Listen to the Award Travel 101 Podcast
You can find us anywhere you listen to other fine podcasts including:
- 001 — Meet Award Travel 101 Community Administrators Angie & Joe
- 002 — Booking a Dream (African Safari) Trip
- 003 — Creating Memories Through Big AND Small Trips
- 004 — 8 Steps to Better Award Travel
- 005 – Cruise (on Points), Racking and Stacking, and Keep or Kick it to the Curb
- 006 — Transfer Bonuses, Hyatt Bonus Journeys, and Benefits of AwardWallet
Award Travel 101 Podcast Episode 7 Show Notes
Miles & Points for the Win (from the Community)
Antarctica Trip Inga KC shares how she used miles/points for a last-minute cruise experience. You can find valuable information and great photos in the post. If you have a Miles/Points win to share whether big or small, don't forget to drop a post in the Award Travel 101 Facebook Community.
News & Enhanced Offers
- Complete Guide to American Airlines Status — JT long-time Executive Platinum, Joe Petrovic first-time Executive Platinum. Why might this be important for readers/listeners
- New Etihad Guest Award Chart — rates increased by up to 320% (e.g. domestic Flagship First Class 25k -> 80k Etihad Guest miles)
- Marriott drops the 10% transfer bonus to United, but replaces it with something better?
- Virgin ANA first class award chart no-notice changes — more to come?
- New Bilt earnings on Lyft — why earn 5x when you can earn 12x?
- Stacking LifeMiles offers to book Lufthansa business class for just 25k + $500 out-of-pocket — makes sense if you can't generate a lot of points
What Bonuses Did We Get?
- United℠ Business Card: I've really been burning through United miles lately and needed to replenish. Can you believe I've never transferred Chase Ultimate Rewards to United?
- Business checking: 60K completed, now I just wait on the points to post
- What's Next: American Express® Business Gold Card?
- 90,000 Ultimate Rewards — we're hearing the enhanced Ink offer is going away very soon. Have you picked up yours?
- 2023 Summary — earning 760K already through the first 2.5 months of 2023 that will purchase over $20K ($20,489) travel by my own personal valuations. Is it really worth that much?
- Business checking: 60K completed for Katie too
- Still working on a 75k bonus on The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express (offer I got: $15k spend in 12 months, but foreign transaction fees)
- Getting close to earning 80k on AAdvantage® Aviator® World Elite Business Mastercard® (offer I got: $2k spend in 90 days)
- Going to use tax payment to finish off 150k bonus on The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (offer I got: $15k spend in 3 months)
Highlight Feature: Meet AwardWallet Editor-In-Chief JT Genter
- How’d you get introduced to travel rewards/loyalty programs
- Travel style — what do you love?
- Some of your highlights
- Favorite programs
- What trips do you have booked now, and what are you most looking forward to?
What You Didn't Know: Seeing the Upcoming Solar Eclipse
Rob DeCamp shares: If you're interested in seeing the total eclipse on the afternoon of April 8, 2024, and you don't already live on the path, you might want to book your hotels shortly after they become available. The next total eclipse in the lower 48 states won't be until 2044!
This article from AwardWallet provides details on when chains open their schedules:
- Hyatt: 394 days — so you can start booking as of March 10, 2023
- Hilton: 365 days, booking opens April 8, 2023
- Marriott: 352 days, booking opens April 21, 2023
- IHG: 350 days, booking opens April 23, 2023
- Choice: 100 days, booking opens December 29, 2023
Where To Find Us
For questions, you can join us in the free 91,000+ member Award Travel 101 Community. If you want to dig into some of the less discussed strategies, our Award Travel 201 community is filled with those who want to dig into the weeds a little more. To book time with our team to discuss how to better your earning and burning strategies, check out Award Travel 1-on-1.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.