AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
The Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® (See Terms) offers something very few cards offer: the ability to earn 2X miles per dollar spent on all purchases. Miles that can be redeemed as a statement credit against almost any conceivable travel expense including airfare, hotels, vacation rentals, trains, buses, car rental, campgrounds, ski lodges, and much more.
While its earning potential is arguably the top benefit, there are numerous reasons why this card is worth keeping. This extensive review includes details on how to get the most out of this card and its benefits, with the goal of helping you understand how best to use the Arrival Plus.
What Are Barclaycard Arrival Miles?
Barclaycard refers to the rewards earned on the Arrival Plus as miles. This approach is similar to how Capital One categorized the rewards on its travel cards.
These miles aren't the same as American Airlines miles or Delta SkyMiles, nor can they be transferred from your Barclaycard account to any partner airlines like flexible rewards. However, Arrival Plus miles are not subject to award availability limits or blackout dates.
Rather, they can be redeemed for travel on any airline at a rate of one cent per mile. Additionally, miles earned on the Arrival Plus can be redeemed for all travel related expenses categorized as such by MasterCard as well as merchandise and gift cards (more on this below).
The Welcome Bonus on the Barclaycard Arrival Plus
70,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days.
How Many Miles Do I Earn on Purchases?
The Arrival Plus earns 2X miles per dollar on all purchases, regardless of category. When making your purchases, you don't need to worry if you're earning 1x or 2x miles at any given merchant as you're always earning 2X miles.
If you spend $10,000 on your Arrival Plus in a year, you'll earn 20,000 miles from those purchases; with a redemption value of a penny per point, that'll net you $200 in travel statement credits. If you spend $50,000 a year, you will earn 1000,000 miles from those purchases, providing you a net $1,000 in travel statement credits.
Arrival Plus miles do not expire as long as your account is open, active, and in good standing.
What Barclaycard Arrival Plus Miles Worth?
Arrival Plus miles are worth one cent towards travel. This value is fixed, which means you'll always get this value regardless of your travel redemption. 100,000 miles will always be worth $1,000 towards travel, while 50,000 miles will always be worth $500 towards travel.
An important factor to consider when it comes to redemptions is that you do not need to worry about airline award availability or other potential restrictions that can happen with airline award bookings. When booking your travel, you can book your flights on any website as long as the charge comes through as travel related.
What Can Barclaycard Arrival Plus Miles Be Redeemed For?
Arrival Plus miles can be redeemed for travel, cash back statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise. While the redemption rate for travel-related purchases is one cent per mile, the redemption rate for gift cards and merchandise is half of that (0.5 cents). The same 100,000 miles you can redeem for $1,000 in travel credits would only net $500 when redeemed for gift cards and merchandise.
Our recommendation is only to redeem miles earned with your Arrival Plus for statement credits on travel purchases to maximize the value of your rewards.
What Does Barclaycard Consider a Travel Redemption?
According to the FAQ section of the Arrival Plus application, a travel redemption is defined as:
Airlines, hotels, motels, timeshares, campgrounds, car rental agencies, cruise lines, purchase and travel agencies, discount travel sites, trains, buses, taxis, limousines, and ferries as defined by the merchant category code.
Purchases made at merchants that do not process transactions under these terms or that use incorrect merchant category codes will not qualify. Consequently, as long as the merchant category codes correctly, you can redeem Arrival Plus miles for statement credits in connection with any travel purchase that falls within the categories mentioned.
Remember, as the Arrival Plus card earns 2X miles on all purchases, you don't need to worry about how a merchant is coded when you're looking to earn rewards. On the redemption side, you should always know beforehand whether a purchase can be considered for a travel redemption.
Are There Restrictions on Barclaycard Arrival Plus Redemptions?
Travel statement credit redemptions start at 10,000 miles for $100, toward a qualifying travel purchase of $100 or more made within the last 120 days. Cashback statement credits and gift card redemptions start at 5,000 miles for $25.
There is no limit to the total miles you can redeem, so for big spenders, the ability to spend as much as needed without any limits on the miles you can earn is an exceptional benefit. If you spend $1,000,000 on the Arrival Plus in a given year, you will earn 2,000,000 miles, which you could redeem for $20,000 in travel statement credits.
Earn a 5% Bonus on Each Redemption
All redemptions with the Arrival Plus card receive a 5% rebate/bonus. For example, if you redeem 100,000 miles, you'll receive a 5,000-mile rebate into your rewards account for future use.
The 5% rebate is deposited to your account within one business day after your redemption is processed. As a result of this benefit, you are effectively earning 2.1X miles on all purchases.
How Do You Redeem Barclaycard Arrival Miles for Travel?
The process for redeeming is simple: Make your purchase of $100 or more and then apply your miles against the posted charge as a statement credit. You'll do all of this through your account at barclaycardus.com.
Earn Miles and Elite Status Credit with Arrival Plus
To redeem the miles earned on your Arrival Plus you first have to purchase the travel with your card. As such, you will be earning miles and elite status credit with the corresponding travel provider. With traditional frequent flyer programs, when you redeem your airline miles, you typically do not earn miles or elite status credit. The miles and elite credit earned on Arrival Plus redemptions can be seen as a bonus.
What is the Annual Fee of the Barclaycard Arrival Plus?
The Arrival Plus has an annual fee of $89 (waived first year).
The Arrival Plus has No Foreign Transaction Fees
The Arrival Plus imposes no foreign transaction fees. This card is ideal to take with you whenever traveling internationally. And, as a MasterCard, it is widely accepted in foreign countries.
0% Introductory APR for 12 Months for Each Balance Transfer
Enjoy a 0% introductory APR for the first 12 billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening. After that, you'll receive a rate of 18.24%, 22.24% or 25.24% variable based on your creditworthiness. Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater is the fee for balance transfers.
If you take advantage of this balance transfer offer, you can transfer, for example, $5,000 from another account, pay a fee of $150, but not have to pay interest on the $5,000 for an entire year. The only payments required during this time will be the minimum monthly payments. While we're not fans of balance transfer offers with associated fees, seeing this offer with a travel rewards credit card is a rare occurrence.
The Arrival Plus Supports Chip and PIN Technology
The Arrival Plus supports Chip + PIN technology. Barclaycard is the only major credit card issuer in the U.S. to offer chip and PIN technology, which is particularly popular outside the U.S. Other major issuers only offer chip technology supported with a signature.
Complimentary Online TransUnion FICO Score
The Arrival Plus provides a complimentary monthly TransUnion FICO Credit Score. If you're paying for your credit score, you should look at the benefits available with your credit card — it might be complimentary simply for being a cardmember.
Card Issued by Barclays Bank Delaware
The vast majority of the most highly thought of credit cards are offered by three banks: American Express, Chase, and Citibank. A great advantage of the Arrival Plus is that you can diversify your credit portfolio through a relationship with a different financial institution while receiving a highly valued card product.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite Benefits and Privileges
The Arrival Plus carries a World Elite Mastercard logo. These benefits are often overlooked but can provide significant value simply be being a cardmember. A full list of benefits can be found in the Barclaycard Arrival Plus Guide to Benefits, however here are some that are noteworthy:
- Concierge Service and Professional 24/7 Travel Services – Whether you need assistance arranging travel or other plans, there is always someone at ready and willing to assist you. Never underestimate the value of a concierge service for a good recommendation.
- World Elite Hotels & Resorts Portfolio – Receive VIP treatment at fine properties around the world with leading partners including Mandarin Oriental, InterContinental, Rocco Forte, Shangri-La, Taj, Fairmont, Raffles, Swissotel, Hyatt and much more. You will enjoy a unique suite of preferred amenities including Room upgrade (subject to availability); early check-in (subject to availability); late check-out (subject to availability); complimentary breakfast daily for up to two people; and a World Elite Amenity that varies by property.
- World Elite Air Program – Receive significant discounts for upgrades, business class companion fares and business class travel on participating airlines such as Aer Lingus, Aeromexico, Austrian, Etihad, LAN, Lufthansa and Virgin Atlantic.
- World Elite Private Jet Program – MasterCard partners with private jet providers such as Sentient, ACS, and Lufthansa Private Jet, to provide select discounts and benefits ranging from a $500 off discount on your next Sentient charter flight to a 5% discount on your next off your next Lufthansa Private Jet charter flight. When you fly with Air Charter Services (ACS), you have a choice of savings up to $750 or complimentary in-flight meals, beverages and services or chauffeur-driven transportation upon arrival within 50 miles.
- World Elite Cruise Program – Receive VIP treatment and benefits when you cruise with Avalon, Azamara, Crystal, Cunard, NCL, Oceania, Paul Gauguin, Regent, Royal Caribbean, Sea Cloud, SeaDream, Silversea, Uniworld and Un-Cruise Adventures, among other cruise lines. Exact benefits vary by cruise line and sailing but can include shipboard credits of up to $500 per cabin.
- World Elite Tours & Vacations Program – Receive up to $500 in savings you book travel with tour providers such as Abercrombie & Kent, Absolute Travel, Avanti Destinations, Globus, Journey Mexico, Kensington Tours, Key Tours, Monograms, Classic Vacations, Ski.com, Butterfield & Robinson, Swain Tours, Big Five, Ker & Downey, Perry Golf, South African Airways Vacations and Trafalgar, among others.
- World Elite Car Rental Program – Receive a minimum of 15% and up to 25% savings off every car rental with National, Avis or Sixt. Also, enjoy the following complimentary elite membership status with each provider: Avis Preferred Plus, National Emerald Club Executive, and Sixt Platinum.
- World Elite Chauffeured Car Service – Save 15% on chauffeured cars and enjoy a $50 voucher toward your next chauffeured service (with select providers). Participating partners include Sixt Limousine Service, International Limousine Service, Vitesse and Avis Chauffeured Car.
- MasterCard Airport Concierge – Enjoy 15% savings on Airport Meet and Greet services whereby you can arrange for a personal, dedicated Meet and Greet agent to escort you through the airport on departure, arrival or any connecting flights at over 450 destinations worldwide 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. There are also certain airports where you can be expedited through the security and the immigration process.
- MasterCard Global Service Premium – If your World Elite MasterCard card is ever lost or stolen, MasterCard will attempt to notify your financial institution within five minutes of being reported. In most instances, MasterCard can provide an emergency cash advance within an hour and will send you a replacement card in one day in the top 75 delivery destinations worldwide. This service is available seven days a week in 75 markets.
- Price Protection Coverage – If you buy an eligible item with your card in the United States and see an online or printed advertisement of it for less at any retail store within one hundred and twenty (120) days of the original purchase date, simply file a valid claim and MasterCard will refund the difference up to $250.00 per item. This benefit is limited to $1,000.00 a year per cardmember’s eligible account.
- Purchase Security – Within the first ninety (90) days of the date of purchase, Purchase Security will, at the Benefit Administrator's discretion, replace, repair, or reimburse you for eligible items of personal property purchased entirely with your eligible card up to a maximum of $1,000 per claim and $50,000 per cardmember, in the event of theft, damage due to fire, vandalism, accidentally discharged water or certain weather conditions.
- Return Protection – Return Protection is coverage that will reimburse you for the cost of an eligible item of personal property within ninety (90) days of the date it was purchased entirely with your eligible card if you are not satisfied with it and the retailer won’t allow it to be returned, up to $500 per claim, and 2 claims per year.
- Extended Protection – The Extended Protection Benefit automatically doubles the period under the original manufacturer’s written U.S. warranty up to 24 months on eligible warranties of 24 months or less when an item is purchased entirely with your eligible card.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver – The Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver benefit provides reimbursement for damage due to collision or theft up to the actual cash value of most rental vehicles. In your country of residence, this benefit is supplemental to, and excess of, any valid and collectible insurance from any other source. MasterCard will reimburse only for that damage or theft not payable by any other party. Coverage provided is secondary for rentals within the U.S., which means that the coverage applies to losses or expenses that are not covered by other insurance or reimbursement already in place. For international rentals, the coverage is primary, which means that the credit card provided insurance kicks in regardless of any potential personal insurance policy that might exist.
- Travel Accident Insurance – You, your spouse or domestic partner and unmarried dependent children will be automatically insured against accidental loss of life, limb, sight, speech or hearing while riding as a passenger in, entering or exiting any licensed common carrier, provided the entire cost of a passenger fare(s), less redeemable certificates, vouchers or coupons, has been charged to your Barclaycard World Elite MasterCard account.
- Baggage Delay Insurance – The Insured Person will be reimbursed up to the Daily Benefit Amount of $100 per day for 3 days in the event of a Baggage Delay. This payment is limited to expenses incurred for the emergency purchase of essential items needed by the Insured Person while on a covered trip and at a destination other than the Insured Person’s primary residence.
- Trip Delay Insurance – If you're delayed more than six hours by inclement weather, equipment failure of a common carrier, or lost or stolen passport or travel documents, you can claim up to $300 per trip, up to two trips per 12 month period, for travel expenses as a result of the delay. There is no coverage if the common carrier cancels within six hours of your scheduled departure time. Entire trip must be paid for with your covered card or, for award flights, the taxes, and fees.
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance – In the event of the Insured Person’s Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption, MasterCard will pay up to the Trip Cancellation/ Trip Interruption Benefit Amount of $5,000. This payment will not exceed either: 1) the actual Non−Refundable amount paid by the Insured Person for a Common Carrier passenger fare(s); or 2) $5,000. The Insured Person will relinquish any unused vouchers, tickets, coupons or travel privileges for which MasterCard has reimbursed the Insured Person.
Bottom Line on the Barclaycard Arrival Plus
If you value cash-back style points that can be redeemed for all travel purchases, including airfare, without award availability related restrictions the Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® deserves some attention. Flexibility provides you options, and the benefits and versatility of this card make it an exceptional value.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard® (See Terms)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.