AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Step 1: Get an Account with AwardWallet (FREE)
If you're looking to keep track of your points, miles, and other loyalty currency, create an AwardWallet account. We track over 650 different programs!
Step 2: Check Your Credit Scores (FREE)
Step 3: Sign Up for Loyalty Programs (FREE)
It's free to sign up for airline or hotel loyalty programs. If you plan on accruing miles or points in any program, you will need to be a member. Sign up and then add the programs to your AwardWallet account for easy tracking. Here are the most popular ones we see in AwardWallet.
- American Airlines (AAdvantage)
- British Airways (Executive Club)
- JetBlue Airways (trueBlue)
- United MileagePlus
- Delta SkyMiles
Step 4: Apply for Rewarding Credit Cards
Once you know that your credit score is good to excellent, you can apply for travel credit cards that meet your travel needs.
Earning points that transfer to different travel programs is an excellent way to start. You can receive transferable points with the following rewards programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards, and Citi ThankYou Rewards. Below are credit cards that receive points in each program.
Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card – Earn 80,000 bonus points
- Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card – Earn 100,000 bonus points
American Express Membership Rewards®
- American Express® Gold Card – Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points
- American Express® Business Gold Card – Earn 70,000 Membership Rewards® points
- The Platinum Card® from American Express – Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express – Earn 100,000 Membership Reward® points
Citi ThankYou® Rewards
- Citi Premier® Card – Earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points
Step 5: Receive Miles & Points on Every Purchase
Use your rewards credit card responsibly to receive miles and points on every purchase you make. Many rewards cards will give you multiple points per $1 on certain categories. For example, the Sapphire Preferred earns 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide.
If you're shopping online, you can receive multiple points per $1 by going through online shopping portals.
Also, don't forget to sign up for dining programs, so you can double your earning for dining out. There's also usually a signup bonus for just joining and dining your first time at an in-network restaurant. You can sign up for the major dining programs below:
Step 6: Have a Plan & Know How to Redeem Your Miles
Follow the AwardWallet blog for the best tips and techniques on how to use your miles and points.