AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Amex's partnership with Lufthansa lounges in Munich and Frankfurt is now permanent. Now cardmembers of The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, and Centurion® Card from American Express have access to select Lufthansa lounges in Frankfurt (FRA) and Munich (MUC).
How It Works
Access to the lounges is available to Amex Platinum- and Centurion-cardholders. Which lounge you can access will depend on your card and your class of travel.
- When flying economy, get access to the business class lounge.
- When flying in business class, get access to the Senator lounge.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- Earn 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel (up to $500,000 in purchases per calendar year).
- Earn 5X points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- New Cardmembers: Earn 10X points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
Amex Centurion Card holders have access to the first class, Senator, and business class lounges regardless of their class of travel.
To access the lounges travelers, have to show the following:
- A valid Amex Platinum or Centurion card.
- Government-issued photo ID.
- Same day Lufthansa Group (Lufthansa, SWISS or Austrian Airlines) boarding pass.
Participating Lufthansa Lounges
The access policy only applies to lounges at Munich and Frankfurt airports and not at other airports in Germany. Only the following Lufthansa lounges are part of this lounge access partnership:
- Frankfurt (FRA): Business class, Senator, and first-class lounges located in Terminal 1 Concourse B.
- Munich (MUC): Business class, Senator, and first-class lounges located in the satellite area of Terminal 2 (satellite).
Guest Access Policy
Unfortunately, the generous access policy does not apply to guests. So, you will be unable to bring a guest with you for free. However, Lufthansa does allow you to purchase access to its lounges in Frankfurt and Munich. Depending on the lounge and airport, prices vary between €25 to €50, with the welcome lounge in Frankfurt being the most expensive.
Since the launch of this partnership a few years back, it has been quite a saga. After an initial access period, access was only extended short extension by short extension — sometimes just a month at a time.
It always made sense for Amex to use Lufthansa lounges in Munich and Frankfurt rather than building its own — especially with reduced traveler numbers right now. The permanent tie-up is the perfect solution for Amex to offer lower-cost lounge access and for Lufthansa to generate more revenue from its lounges.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.