AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Now through October 31, 2022, Radisson is offering a 50% transfer bonus when converting Radisson Rewards points to United MileagePlus miles.
This is the latest in a string of hotel points to United transfer bonuses. Even with these bonuses, it's generally not a great deal to transfer hotel points to miles — with Marriott being the rare exception. However, whether or not it's worth taking advantage of depends on how you value your points and miles.
Which Hotel Points You Can Transfer to United Miles
There are 9 hotel loyalty programs you can transfer rewards points from to United MileagePlus miles:
- Accor Live Limitless (2:1 ratio)
- Choice Privileges (5:1 ratio)
- Hilton Honors (10:1 ratio)
- World of Hyatt (2.5:1 ratio, plus 5,000 bonus miles when you transfer 50,000 points)
- Marriott Bonvoy (3:1.1 ratio, plus 5,500 bonus miles when you transfer 60,000 points)
- Radisson Rewards (10:1 ratio)
- IHG Rewards (5:1 ratio)
- Wyndham Rewards (5:1 ratio)
- Shangri-La Golden Circle (1:1 ratio)
By combining these transfer rates and points valuations from recent AwardWallet user redemptions, it's generally not a good idea to transfer hotel points to United miles — even at an average redemption rate of 2.65 cents per United mile. Here's a list from best to worst:
- 10,000 Marriott points ($100) nets 3,667 miles ($97), and a better rate when transferring over 60,000
- 10,000 Choice points ($60) nets 2,000 miles ($53)
- 10,000 IHG points ($73) nets 2,000 miles ($53)
- 10,000 Radisson points ($43) nets 1,000 miles ($27)
- 10,000 Accor points ($200) nets 5,000 miles ($133)
- 10,000 Hilton points ($61) nets 1,000 miles ($27)
- 10,000 Hyatt points ($222) nets 4,000 miles ($106)
50% Transfer Bonus From Radisson to United Promotion
Through October 31, 2022, Radisson Rewards Americas members could transfer points to United with a 50% bonus. That means a 20 to 3 transfer ratio, instead of 10 to 1.
Those ratios can be hard to understand, so here's an example. Say you have 10,000 Radisson Rewards points. You can transfer those points to United to get 1,500 MileagePlus miles during this transfer bonus.
If you value Radisson Rewards points at 0.4 cents per point, you're giving up approximately $40 in value to get 1,500 United miles. That means you'll want to get at least 2.7 cents per United mile from a redemption for this transfer to make sense.
For most travelers, transferring Radisson points to United miles still doesn't make sense — even with a 50% bonus. However, this promotion is slightly better than the just-ended 30% hotel transfer bonus that United offered from all hotel partners.
[Expired] 30% Transfer Bonus From Hotel Points to United Promotion
During September 2022, United offered a 30% bonus when transferring hotel points to United miles. Note that you needed to register for the promotion first before transferring points. There's a limit of 25,000 bonus points you can earn.
Combining the transfer ratios to points values, plus the 30% bonus, transfers yielded (with values using AwardWallet redemption rates for reference):
- 10,000 Accor points ($200) yields 6,500 miles ($172)
- 10,000 Choice points ($60) yields 2,600 miles ($69)
- 10,000 Hilton points ($61) yields 1,300 miles ($34)
- 10,000 Hyatt points ($222) yields 5,200 miles ($138)
- 10,000 Marriott points ($100) yields 4,767 miles ($126)
- 10,000 Radisson points ($43) yields 1,300 miles ($34)
With the 30% bonus, Choice and Marriott transfers to United miles become reasonable. Accor, Hilton, and Hyatt are still bad deals — even with the bonus.
The best deal is for transfers to Marriott. For every 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points you transfer, you'll get:
- 22,000 base United miles (at the 3:1.1 ratio)
- plus 5,500 from Marriott's bonus of 5,000 miles per 60,000 points (including the 10% bonus on transfers to United)
- plus 8,250 bonus miles through this promotion
That's a total of 35,750 United miles for 60,000 Marriott points — better than a 2:1 ratio. If you value Marriott points at 1 cent each, you'll need to get just 1.68 cents of value per United mile from a redemption for this transfer to make sense. Just make sure to register for this promotion before transferring points.
[Expired] Choice to United 100% Transfer Bonus Promotion
Through August 31, 2022, Choice Privileges members could receive a 100% bonus when transferring points to United MileagePlus miles. That means you got a 2.5 to 1 transfer ratio, instead of 5 to 1. In other words, you received 2,000 United miles (instead of 1,000) for every 5,000 Choice Privilege points you transferred.
Depending on how you value United points, this might be a good deal. Based on recent redemptions, you'll get $470 worth of United miles for every $300 worth of Choice points you transfer. That's based on United miles valued at 2.65 cents each, and Choice points valued at 0.6 cents each. But, if you value United miles below 1.5 cents each, transferring Choice points to United miles doesn't make as much sense — even after this transfer bonus.
Due to poor standard transfer rates, we generally don't recommend transferring hotel points to airline miles. These transfer bonuses can help sweeten the transfer rate, but it's still generally best to redeem hotel points for hotel stays rather than transferring to airlines.
The only times it can make sense is if you really needed to top off your United miles or you don't have a use for the hotel points.
What do you think? Is it worth transferring your Radisson points to United miles with a 50% bonus?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.