AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the American Express® Green Card are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
A few days ago, we learned that the American Express® Gold Card will lose the $100 Airline Fee Credit in 2022. At the time, Amex wouldn't say what—if anything—would be added to replace this benefit. Now, Amex has announced a replacement: $10 per month Uber Cash credit.
Moreover, Amex will add a new benefit for The Platinum Card® from American Express, Amex Gold, and American Express® Green Card cardholders. Starting in 2021, these cardmembers will each receive a complimentary Uber Eats Pass, worth roughly $120.
Amex Gold Uber Cash Credit Terms
- The Amex Gold (full review) currently features an annual $100 Airline Fee Credit. This credit will expire after December 31, 2021.
- Starting on an undisclosed date in early 2021, Amex Gold cardholders will receive $10 in monthly Uber Cash credit good for Uber rides or Uber Eats. The total value of this benefit is $120 per year.
- This is in addition to the $10 monthly dining credit usable for Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, and participating Shake Shack locations.
The introduction of the new Uber Cash credit in 2021 creates a sweet spot for new applications in the next two months since these credits operate on a calendar year (not membership year) basis. Applicants who get the Amex Gold now through December 2020 can receive one Airline Fee Credit in 2020 and one in 2021 — while also receiving the new monthly Uber Cash credit starting in early 2021. When you add in the raised, 60,000-points welcome bonus, you're left with a very valuable card.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 4X Membership Rewards® points when you dine at restaurants worldwide.
- 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X)
- 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com
- 1X on other purchases
- Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
Uber Eats Pass Membership Terms
- This new benefit is available to current Amex Platinum, Amex Gold, and Green from Amex members (as well as new applicants).
- Now through December 2021, cardholders can activate a free, one-year membership for an Uber Eats Pass.
- The membership is good for 12-months after activation.
- Uber Eats Pass memberships typically cost $9.99/month ($119 value per year).
- An Uber Eats Pass membership offers $0 delivery fees and 5% discounts on restaurant orders over $15, and $0 delivery fees on grocery orders over $30 in eligible markets.
- The membership auto-renews at monthly rate 12 months after activation. So, set a reminder to cancel your membership if you don't want to pay for another year.
This move mirrors the free DoorDash DashPass membership Chase began offering Chase Sapphire Reserve® cardholders earlier this year.
Depending on your location and food habits, this new benefit is either incredibly valuable or a total dud. That is to say, if you live someplace beyond Uber's reach, you won't get much value out of this. On the other hand, if you order delivery a lot, this could be great.
Another thing worth noting is that none of these card products have (so far) announced an annual fee increase. So even if you don't order a ton of take-out, this only adds more to the card's value proposition.
The introduction of the Uber Eats Pass is an excellent addition to the value proposition of Amex's personal charge cards. For the same annual fee, you'll get up to $120 in more value? Yeah—sign me up.
Airline Fee Credit vs. Uber Cash
As far as the Amex Gold is concerned, I mentioned in my previous post that the Airline Fee Credit is a benefit that we love to hate. While everyone would prefer a flexible travel credit, it's easy to get nearly full value if you travel often. However, I think this change is great overall, and here's why:
First, the Uber Cash credit is potentially $20 more valuable than the Airline Fee Credit when maximized ($120 vs. $100). That's a win, but only if you use Uber (or Uber Eats) regularly.
Second, the Uber Cash credit is far better aligned with the card's updated benefits (when used for Uber Eats). Essentially, the Amex Gold is an optimized dining card. It already offers great earning rates for restaurant and grocery purchases and a $10 monthly dining credit at select merchants. In that regard, the Airline Fee Credit doesn't make nearly as much sense as a credit good for food delivery.
Up to $560 in Credits in the First Year
Lastly, the timing of these benefits allows 2021 cardmembers to get tons of value for one annual fee. If you get the Amex Gold in late 2020, you'll get:
- $100 Airline Fee Credit in 2020
- $100 Airline Fee Credit in 2021
- $120 in Uber Cash credit in 2021
- $119 Uber Eats Pass in 2020/2021
- $120 Dining Credit in 2020/2021 (Grubhub, Seamless, Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and select Shake Shacks)
That's nearly $560 in value for a $250 annual fee (Rates & Fees)—without even considering the 60,000-point welcome bonus and 4X point-earning ability. Therefore, if you've considered applying for the Amex Gold, now's a great time.
How do you feel about these new cardmember benefits?
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: American Express® Gold Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.