AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for The Platinum Card® from American Express are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
Priority Pass Select members who have their membership through holding a US-issued American Express card are losing non-lounge access privileges from August 1, 2019. The move affects every membership associated with any Amex card offering Priority Pass membership like the The Platinum Card® from American Express, or the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card card. Priority Pass defines “non-lounge” as bars, cafes, and restaurants. The entire list of non-lounge facilities will be unavailable for Amex Priority Pass Cardholders, bar a select few.
Facilities That Will Remain Available
The cut is deep, and almost every participating Priority Pass restaurant and bar will no longer be accessible from August 1, 2019. There is a handful of facilities that are an exception, and these include:
- Minute Suites at Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International ATL- Concourse B & Concourse T
- Minute Suites at Charlotte Douglas International CTL- Atrium
- Minute Suites at Dallas / Fort Worth international DFW- Terminal A & Terminal D
- Minute Suites at Philadelphia International PHL- Terminal B
- Sleep’n’fly – the new airport sleep concept by YAWN at Dubai International DXB- Terminal 3, Concourse A
- The Grain Store at London Gatwick LGW- South Terminal
Amex Cards Affected
Currently, three American Express cards provide you with a complimentary Priority Pass Select membership. The devaluation of Priority Pass membership affects the following cards:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card
One thing to note is that the The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card and the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card card both provide you with 10 complimentary Priority Pass visits per year. It is not clear whether the restriction will apply to these cards as well.
One thing to remember is that this only affects Priority Pass Select memberships associated with Amex cards like the Amex Platinum. It does not affect memberships associated with Chase or any other financial institutions. That means Chase Sapphire Reserve® and Citi Prestige® Card Priority Pass cards should still have access to non-lounge facilities. So if you have multiple memberships, remember to take a Sharpie, and mark each Priority Pass card with the name of the credit card it is associated with.
This is bad news, and there is no way to sugarcoat it. Even though the Amex Platinum card comes with an impressive host of features and benefits, the devaluation of the Priority Pass membership is a hammer blow to the value of the card, and makes competitor cards like the Sapphire Reserve seem that much more attractive since they provide unrestricted Priority Pass membership. The major concern here is that other issuers will see this move as a clever cost-cutting measure and follow suit. If Chase or Citi pulls this benefit too, you can bet the other won't be far behind.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit. 3X points on dining at restaurants & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. $0 foreign transaction fees.
- Get 50% more value when you redeem your points for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Access to 1,000+ airport lounges worldwide after an easy, one-time enrollment in Priority Pass™ Select
- Up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✔®
- One Year Complimentary Lyft Pink ($199 minimum value). Complimentary DashPass subscription from DoorDash after activating by 12/31/21.
- 3X points on travel immediately after earning your $300 travel credit
- 3X points on dining at restaurants
- 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.