AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
In the last few months, plenty of travelers have turned to road trips to get out of the house. I've seen this myself here in Southern California, with parking lots full of road-trippers sporting out-of-state license plates. Naturally, with that many people hitting the road, lots of people are buying a lot of gas.
With that in mind, Citi has introduced a new redemption opportunity for ThankYou Point collectors. Now, eligible customers can Shop with Points at the pump for discounted gas at select Shell, BP, and Amoco fuel stations.
Shell, BP, and Amoco Shop with Points Terms
- Eligible Citi cardholders can ‘Shop with Points‘ at participating Shell, BP, and Amoco fuel stations.
- Eligible cards include most Citi credit cards with available ThankYou Points (including Citi Prestige® Card, Citi Premier® Card, and Citi Rewards+℠ Card).
- Citi® Double Cash Card cardholders who have converted cash rewards to ThankYou Points are also eligible to use Shop with Points.
- Redeem your points for up to 50¢ off per gallon of gas, up to a maximum of 20 gallons total. This represents a maximum savings of $10 by redeeming 1,250 TYPs (0.8¢ per point).
- You can see how many points you redeemed on your receipt or on the ThankYou website.
- There is no enrollment or registration required.
- Authorized users on eligible Citi cards can also redeem ThankYou points at participating fuel stations.
To Shop with Points at an eligible fuel station:
- Swipe your eligible card at the pump.
- When the gas pump screen prompts you with an offer to redeem ThankYou Points, select ‘Yes'.
- Pump your gas like normal, and check your redemption rate on the printed receipt or on the ThankYou website.
It's great to see Citi attempting to re-align cardmember benefits with current spending trends. Moreover, it's a good thing when card-issuing banks add flexibility for redeeming points. However, I'm not sold on this new redemption option.
I typically value Citi ThankYou Points around 1.7¢ each. That's because they present several wonderful opportunities for sweet-spot award redemptions using unique transfer partners—including Turkish Airlines and Etihad. From that perspective, using them at a value of 0.8¢ per point is certainly less than ideal. However, if you're not planning to book any other kind of travel soon, perhaps this is worth it for you.
Ultimately, most ThankYou Point collectors will continue to get the best value when transferring points for partner redemptions. For more information on how to best use your Citi ThankYou Points, check out these posts:
- Turkish Allows Mixed Partners, Updates Award Chart
- The Best Points and Miles for Free Flights to Hawaii
- Avianca LifeMiles Program Overview and Sweet Spots
- Citi ThankYou Points Adds Emirates as 16th Airline Partner
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.