AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Do WestJet Rewards dollars expire? That's complicated! WestJet offers two types of rewards currencies: Base WestJet Dollars and Bonus WestJet Dollars. Each has different expiration policies. However, things are even more complicated since Bonus WestJet Dollars can have multiple expiration deadlines!
Base WestJet Rewards Dollars Expiration Policy
Base WestJet Rewards dollars do not expire! Travelers don't need to worry about these WestJet Dollars expiring. Per the WestJet Rewards terms and condition page:
“Base Rewards (as defined herein) will not expire due to the passage of time. WestJet dollars will be maintained in the member's account and may be redeemed at any time in accordance with these terms and conditions.”
Bonus WestJet Rewards Dollars Expiration Policy
When it comes to Bonus WestJet Rewards, things are a little different. These have two expiration policies as follows:
- The Bonus WestJet Rewards will expire per the deadline specified in the promotion/offer/competition they were earned from.
- If no deadline is mentioned, Bonus WestJet Rewards expire one year after the date issued. Per the WestJet terms and conditions page:
“Bonus Rewards (as defined herein) will expire on the individual date(s) specified in the terms or conditions of the promotion, contest or compensation initiative or, in the absence of such terms and conditions, then expiry will be one (1) year from date of issuance.”
Earning WestJet Dollars
With Base WestJet Rewards that don't expire, you can focus on earning and building up your balance toward your next redemption. You can earn WestJet Dollars in all of the following ways:
- WestJet flights: Earn WestJet Dollars for flying on WestJet-marketed flights.
- Partner airlines: Earn dollars for flying with partner airlines — including Delta, KLM, and Air France.
- Car rentals: Earn dollars for your next car rental with a wide range of partners including Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, and Budget.
- Vacation packages: Earn WestJet Dollars when you book your next vacation package.
- Hotel stays: Earn dollars for your next hotel stay and travel activity booked through WestJet and WestJet Vacations.
- Credit cards: Earn WestJet dollars for everyday spending on the following cobrand credit cards:
- The WestJet RBC® Mastercard
- The WestJet RBC® World Elite Mastercard
Using WestJet Dollars
With WestJet's complicated expiration policy, you need to stay on top of what is about to expire in your account.
Fortunately, it is easy to use your WestJet dollars since they are pegged at 1:1 to the Canadian dollar. Not only that, but you can make partial payments using your WestJet Dollars (a minimum of 15 dollars.) Therefore, if you fly somewhat regularly, there should be no reason for your Base WestJet Rewards dollars to expire since you can keep using them to partially pay for your fares!
One word of caution when it comes to using bonus WestJet rewards is that you need to read the fine print of the promotion/offer that generated them!
Quite often, using these WestJet Dollars for a partial payment negates the Base WestJet Rewards earned for the rest of the fare. For instance, using just 15 dollars as a partial payment on a C$1,000 flight could potentially prevent you from earning anything on the other C$985 of spending!
Although simple, WestJet Rewards can be tricky to use effectively for redemptions. However, if you are patient and keep an eye on your program regularly, you should be able to leverage your dollars for their maximum value and avoid any of them expiring!
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.