AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Transfer bonuses have already been pretty exciting the past couple of months! Last month, you could get a 20% transfer bonus when transferring Capital One miles to LifeMiles. This month, LifeMiles is offering a 25% bonus for transfers from Citi ThankYou Points.
This means that for every 1,000 Citi ThankYou points you transfer, you'll end up with 1,250 Avianca LifeMiles.
However, you won't see this bonus on Citi's website. That's because this bonus is being offered by LifeMiles directly. In an email sent to LifeMiles members, we see that there is a 25% transfer bonus from Citi to LifeMiles running April 1-30, 2022. Thus, the bonus will be tacked on by LifeMiles when your points show up.
- Transfer Citi ThankYou Rewards to Avianca LifeMiles and receive a 25% bonus.
- This offer is available through April 30, 2022.
- You must transfer in increments of 1,000 ThankYou Points.
- No registration is necessary.
- Transfers are immediate.
- Bonus will be added on the LifeMiles side after qualifying transfers.
Is This Offer Worth Jumping On?
First and foremost, speculatively transferring your points is generally not recommended. With the nature of award travel, which is always changing, you run the risk of being stuck with “orphaned” currencies when you transfer your points with no specific redemptions in the making.
That being said, if you are planning on traveling in the near future and have a specific destination in mind, it's worth taking a look into Avianca LifeMiles.
One of my favorite LifeMiles redemptions is flights on Lufthansa from the mainland United States (ex: Chicago) to Europe (Frankfurt is Lufthansa's biggest hub). For a standard award ticket in business class, you'll pay 63,000 LifeMiles, which is already a pretty great deal. When you add in the current Citi transfer bonus, though, the deal gets even better. Instead of 63,000 ThankYou Points, you'll pay just 51,000 (you need 50,400 but must transfer in blocks of 1,000). Since Avianca does not tack on carrier-imposed fees, you'll only pay $5.60 on top of your miles, as well.
Other LifeMiles Sweet Spots
Avianca LifeMiles has a variety of sweet spots, including the following:
- 35,000 LifeMiles for economy class flights from the United States to Australia or New Zealand
- 22,500 LifeMiles in business class within North Asia
- 25,000 LifeMiles in business class transcontinental on United Airlines within the United States
- 78,000 LifeMiles in business class from the U.S. to the Middle East
- 87,000 LifeMiles in first class from the U.S. to Europe (Lufthansa with no fuel surcharges)
Related Content: Avianca LifeMiles Program Overview and Sweet Spots
Best Citi Credit Cards for Earning ThankYou Points
Citi has several cards which earn flexible miles that can be transferred to multiple travel partners such as LifeMiles.
- Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
- Citi Premier® Card
- Citi Rewards+® Card
- Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card
- Citi® Double Cash Card
Additionally, according to our AwardWallet transfer times database, transfers take place immediately. This is ideal, as you don't have to wait around for your miles to post and worry about availability disappearing.
Other Transfer Bonus Offers Currently Available
There are several other transfer bonuses running right now:
- Chase to Flying Blue: 25% transfer bonus until May 15, 2022
- American Express to British Airways: 40% transfer bonus until May 15, 2022
- American Express to Aer Lingus: 40% transfer bonus until May 15, 2022
- American Express to Marriott: 25% transfer bonus until May 31, 2022
This 25% transfer bonus from Citi to LifeMiles matches the highest transfer bonus rate we've seen with LifeMiles. If you're planning to book some flights with a Star Alliance partner (or even Avianca's non-alliance partners like GOL, Iberia, or Aeromexico), this is a great way to stretch your Citi ThankYou Rewards that much further. Just make sure to get your miles transferred over by April 30, 2022.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.