AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Virgin Atlantic is offering elite status holders of various airlines — see the entire list below — the opportunity to match their status to Virgin Atlantic and receive complimentary Flying Club Silver or Gold status.
Virgin Atlantic has offered status matches like this in the past. However, there are a few differences and important things to know about the offer this time around. Let's see what they are.
Eligible Airlines and Virgin Atlantic Status Match Process
You can match your status from any of the following airlines and respective tiers (which don't include any SkyTeam airlines):
|Airline Program||Match to Silver Tier||Match to Gold Tier|
|American Airlines AAdvantage||Platinum Pro||Executive Platinum|
|British Airways Executive Club||Silver||Gold|
|Cathay Pacific Marco Polo||Gold||Platinum|
|EL Al Matmid||Gold||Platinum|
|Hawaiian Airlines Pualani||Gold||Platinum|
|Hong Kong Airlines Fortune Wings||Silver||Platinum or Gold|
|Iberia Iberia Plus||Oro||Platino|
|Lufthansa Miles & More||Senator||Hon Circle|
|Pakistan International Airline||Sapphire||Diamond|
|Scandinavian Airlines SAS Eurobonus||Gold||Diamond|
|Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer||Silver||Gold|
|South African Voyager||Silver||Gold, Platinum|
|United Airlines MileagePlus||Premier Platinum||Premier 1k|
Once you have confirmed you are eligible, you'll need to submit a form, which you can access here. Along with that form, you'll need to provide proof of your other airline loyalty status, which can include a photo or screenshot of your membership.
The form is pretty straightforward and requires basic information. It shouldn't take too long or be a hassle to complete.
Additionally — and unlike previous promos — this status match requires that you have an upcoming Virgin Atlantic revenue flight. You'll need to include the booking reference number on your request form.
For Gold Elite status, the flight must be in Premium Economy or Upper Class. For Silver Elite status, you can book any Virgin Atlantic flight in any cabin class.
Virgin Atlantic Status Match Key Terms
- Match your status from select airlines to earn Silver or Gold Elite status
- You must take a qualifying (paid) flight to earn and retain the matched status:
- For Gold status, your qualifying Virgin Atlantic flight must be in premium economy or business (Upper Class).
- For Silver status, the qualifying flight can be in any cabin.
- Gold members must earn 1,000 tier points during their membership period to retain Gold status.
- Silver members will need to earn 400 tier points during their membership period in order to retain Silver status.
- The status will be upgraded 72 hours before the qualifying flight and is good for 12 months from the date your account is upgraded. You used to get the complimentary status 30 days after the match, which might be after your qualifying flight.
- You can fill out the Virgin status match form here.
- There's no known end date at this time. If they announce an end date, we'll add that here.
Note that the terms of this promotion leave the door open for Virgin Atlantic to take away status from anyone who participates in the status match and then cancels or doesn't take the required revenue flight.
What Does Virgin Atlantic Elite Status Get You?
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Silver status is the lower of the two elite status levels you can receive (Red status is the basic membership status that is automatically given when you signup for Flying Club).
Silver status comes with several benefits:
- 30% more Virgin Points on flights
- 1 extra piece of checked baggage
- Premium check-in
- Free seat assignment in Economy Light
- Earn and spend points with Virgin Red
- Maternity and paternity membership pause
- Gift companion and upgrade vouchers to your loved ones
Gold status is Virgin Atlantic's top-tier elite status and gives members the following benefits
- Access to Clubhouses and London Heathrow Revivals
- Upper Class check-in
- Extra luggage allowance regardless of cabin class
- Gold Reward Seats – turn any seat into a Reward Seat for double the usual points price
- Supplementary silver membership for a friend
- 2,000 bonus birthday points
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club is one of those not-so-secret, secret loyalty programs that can give you incredible value. Having elite status with the airline can make it all that much sweeter. And while this status match won't make sense for everyone, if you already have elite status with a qualifying program and plan on flying Virgin Atlantic in the next year, you may as well go for the match.
Note that on April 1, 2023, the number of points necessary to qualify for Virgin Elite tiers reverted to normal. Silver is once again 400 instead of 300, and Gold is back to 1,000 instead of 800. 1,000 points can easily be achieved with two returns and a one-way in Upper Class, 5 flexible Premium return flights, or 10 Economy Delight return flights.
Virgin Atlantic points don't expire, but tier points do. Virgin Atlantic Tier points only last for 12 months, so you will need to earn enough points each year to maintain your status or move up to the next tier.
To learn more about Virgin Atlantic and its incredible loyalty program, check out this article: Overlooking Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Can be Costly.
Will you be doing this status match with Virgin Atlantic?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.