AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Many hotel loyalty programs allow members to transfer points to select partner airlines. But most of those options provide awful value for your points. The one exception is Marriott Bonvoy.
So, it was music to the ears of points and miles fans when Marriott announced the airline transfer bonus was here to stay for the new Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program. In addition to maintaining the same value of points transfers to airline partners, Marriott has added more airlines to the list of transfer partners — which now includes more than 40 frequent flyer programs.
You can transfer Bonvoy points to these airlines at a 3:1 transfer ratio. Plus you'll receive a 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points transferred, giving you 25,000 miles in the frequent flyer program of your choice.
- The Fastest Way to Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points
- 5,000 Bonus Airline Miles When You Transfer 60,000 Bonvoy Points to Airline Partners
- Marriott Bonvoy Airline Transfer Partners
- The Best Marriott Airline Transfer Partners
- Final Thoughts
The Fastest Way to Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points
While there's plenty of ways to earn Marriott Bonvoy points, for most points enthusiasts the fastest way to earn points is via the co-brand Marriott credit cards. Marriott's co-brand card lineup has undergone a major revamp, with new cards added to the Marriott stable and a major shakeup of earning rates and benefits on existing cards. The lineup of cards earning Marriott Bonvoy points open to new applications includes:
Marriott Bonvoy Personal Cards
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
- Pay no annual fee with the Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card from Chase®!
- Earn up to 14X total Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy™.
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on other travel purchases (from airfare to taxis and trains).
- 1X point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Receive 15 Elite Night Credits annually, qualifying you for Silver Elite Status. Restrictions apply.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Earn unlimited Marriott Bonvoy points and get Free Night Stays faster.
- 3X points for every $1 spent at over 7,000 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 2X points on other travel purchases (from airfare to taxis and trains)
- 1X point on all other purchases
- Earn 3 Free Nights (each night valued up to 50,000 points) after qualifying purchases + 10X total points on eligible purchases in select categories.
- 1 Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.
- Earn up to 17X total Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy™.
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year. Path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each account year.
- 15 Elite Night Credits each calendar year.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Earn unlimited Marriott Bonvoy points and get Free Night Stays faster.
- 6X Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases
- Earn 75,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Plus, earn up to $200 in Statement Credits for eligible purchases at U.S. Restaurants within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
- Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy Hotels. 3 points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy Points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy unlimited airport lounge visits when you enroll in Priority Pass™ Select membership.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $450 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
Marriott Bonvoy Business Cards
- Welcome Offer: Earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 of eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 6x points at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- 4x points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping. 2x points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Plus, earn an additional Free Night Award after you spend $60K in purchases on your Card in a calendar year. Awards can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status with your Card. Plus, earn Gold Elite status after making $35,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
- Terms apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 6x points at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels
- 4x points at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers and on U.S. purchases for shipping
- 2x points on all other purchases
5,000 Bonus Airline Miles When You Transfer 60,000 Bonvoy Points to Airline Partners
When transferring Bonvoy points to airlines in multiples of 60,000, you receive 5,000 bonus airline miles from Marriott, credited to the airline partner to which you are transferring points. For instance, if we transfer 60k Bonvoy points to ANA Mileage Club, Marriott credits an extra 5k bonus miles to our ANA account at the time of transfer, for a total of 25,000 miles. This applies to 41 of the 44 transfer partners, we've outlined the exceptions below.
There are a few tricks, rules and tips that need to be followed to ensure transfers are trouble-free and you receive maximum value for your Rewards points.
- Marriott allows you to transfer a maximum of 240,000 points per day, so you can receive up to 20,000 bonus miles each day via airline partner transfers. Transfer 240,000 Bonvoy points, and you’ll receive 100,000 airline miles.
- The names must match on your Marriott Bonvoy and frequent flyer account.
- Minimum transfer requirement is 3,000 Bonvoy points
- Transfer times for Marriott points vary. Check AwardWallet's Mile Transfer Times page for the latest datapoints.
If you're waiting on a transfer to post, you can use Balance Watch to get an alert as soon as your balance changes. When an AwardWallet member tracks a transfer, we update our mile-transfer-times page, so you can see how long it takes on average for each program.
Marriott Bonvoy Airline Transfer Partners
The addition of new carriers to the airline transfer program places Marriott well ahead of other transferable points when it comes to the number of transfer partners, offering a total of 46 frequent flyer programs. Of the 46 partners, 43 get the 3:1 transfer ratio, while Air New Zealand is a staggering 200:1 and United gets a 10% bonus for a 3:1.1 ratio. Check out the full list of transfer partners below.
|FREQUENT FLYER PROGRAM||TRANSFER RATIO (REWARDS:MILES)|
|Aegean Airlines Miles+Bonus||3:1|
|Aer Lingus AerClub||3:1|
|Aeroflot Bonus Program||3:1|
|Aeromexico Club Premier||3:1|
|Air France/KLM Flying Blue||3:1|
|Air New Zealand Airpoints||200:1|
|Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan||3:1|
|All Nippon Airways (ANA) Mileage Club||3:1|
|American Airlines AAdvantage||3:1|
|Asiana Airlines Asiana Club||3:1|
|British Airways Executive Club||3:1|
|Cathay Pacific Asia Miles||3:1|
|Delta Air Lines SkyMiles||3:1|
|Frontier Airlines EarlyReturns||3:1|
|Hainan Airlines Fortune Wings Club||3:1|
|Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles||3:1|
|InterMiles (formerly Jet Airways JetPrivilege)||3:1|
|Japan Airlines (JAL) Mileage Bank||3:1|
|Korean Air SKYPASS||3:1|
|LATAM Airlines LATAM Pass||3:1|
|Qantas Frequent Flyer||3:1|
|Qatar Airways Privilege Club||3:1|
|Saudi Arabian Airlines Alfursan||3:1|
|Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer||3:1|
|South African Airways Voyager||3:1|
|Southwest Rapid Rewards||3:1|
|TAP Air Portugal Victoria||3:1|
|Thai Airways International Royal Orchid Plus||3:1|
|Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles||3:1|
|Virgin Atlantic Flying Club||3:1|
|Virgin Australia Velocity||3:1|
There are a few exceptions to the standard transfer rates:
- United MileagePlus members receive a 10% bonus on transferred points via Marriott RewardsPlus, so 60,000 points will transfer to 27,500 United miles.
- Points transfer to Air New Zealand at 200:1 with 25 Airpoints added as a bonus when you transfer 60K, so 60,000 points will transfer to 325 Airpoints (redeemable for $1 per point)
The Best Marriott Airline Transfer Partners
The five transfer partners at the top of our list are Japan Airlines Mileage Bank, Alaska MileagePlan, American AAdvantage, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, and British Airways Executive Club. Here's why:
British Airways Executive Club
On top of the excellent value flying transatlantic on oneworld® partner Iberia, British Airways still retains a distance-based program meaning short haul flights with Avios are a great way of redeeming Marriott points. Short-haul flights within North America price out at 7,500 Avios one-way, and non-stop economy flights from the West Coast to Hawaii will set you back only 12,500 points each way flying American or Alaska. Short hops between cities in popular destinations in Europe, Japan, and Australia cost just 4,500 points in coach, presenting top value when compared to the cash price of tickets.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
With Alaska Airlines not a member of any major alliances, it leaves them in the unique position of being able to pick and choose the airlines with whom they partner. Combined with low fees and the ability to add a stop-over when booking most one-way flights, something that typically requires a round-trip on most other airlines if it is allowed at all, Alaska offers some of the best redemption options of any frequent flyer program in the world.
The best options for Alaska are often aspirational redemptions such as first-class long-haul Cathay Pacific awards to Asia (with a stop-over in both directions possible on most itineraries) and Qantas first-class to Australia and New Zealand for 140k miles roundtrip. Award space can be elusive on Qantas but once secured, you are flying one of the best first-class products to one of the best destinations in the world.
Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
Unlike the other programs on this list, the most significant setback for Japan Airlines is that there is no easy way to accumulate miles other than transferring them from Marriott. Depending on the destination, however, JAL offers fantastic value as a distance-based program and allows multiple stopovers on awards.
While they raised the number of miles required for some business and first-class redemptions towards the end of last year, the rates are still competitive. The value in JAL is the ability to build itineraries with multiple stopovers and an open jaw in one award. You will pay hefty taxes and fees on some oneworld® partners, but LATAM, Qatar, and AA all have small fees for select flights. You can see all the taxes and fees on JAL's website, alongside the JAL award chart for partners. Additionally, outside of partners within Oneworld, JAL provides access to awards with Emirates at reasonable redemption rates.
American Airlines AAdvantage
Despite recent changes to the AAdvantage program, which had a massive impact on the cost of first-class awards (and to a lesser degree, business-class), AAdvantage is still the best transfer partner of the big three legacy carriers for Marriott points. Most changes to American's award chart were negative; however, award costs were reduced for business-class flights to Central America, Mexico, and the Caribbean (dropped 2,500 miles) and economy tickets to the Middle East/Indian Subcontinent (dropped 5,000 miles).
While the award costs rose on many first-class redemptions in the latest changes to AAdvantage, most of the changes to business-class just bought American into line with the other legacy carriers.
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Virgin partners with all four major transferrable rewards currencies, making it easy to accumulate enough miles for an award even if you have stray balances across different programs. Virgin cops a bad rap from a lot of folks due to exorbitant carrier-imposed surcharges, but the program also provides some outstanding sweet spots that provide killer value.
Try 17,500 miles one-way Transatlantic in Virgin’s Premium Economy seats. You’ll wear roughly $200 in fees, but the cost in miles is so low that the $200 still provides good value. Or, one of our all-time favorites, 120K miles in first or 95K miles in business to fly round-trip ANA from the East Coast to Japan.
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
Special mention at this point goes to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer which offers some of the most sought-after and aspirational redemptions in the award travel space. In fact, it could be argued they provide a better cent-per-point value in some instances than the options above, but when all factors come into play, the five programs listed offer the best mix of standout redemptions, value, flexibility, and award availability.
Marriott's transfer partners are a valuable part of the Bonvoy program. With the majority of airlines converting at 3:1, the additional 5,000 bonus miles received for every 60,000 points transferred, and the sheer number of transfer partners, Marriott Bonvoy cements itself as one of the big players in transferrable rewards.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (Rates & Fees), and Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.