AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Every once in a blue moon, airlines try to do nice things for their customers. It isn't often as they most likely don't want customers to get used to it and have expectations. But, when it does happen, it always makes you feel a little warm and tingly inside.
American Airlines is currently doing its nice thing and sending out targeted offers to some AAdvantage members. And it's a pretty good one!
American Airlines Free Elite Status Offer
American Airlines is gifting eligible members free Gold or Platinum status for three months. Check your emails for the subject title “here's free AAdvantage [Gold/Platinum] status” to see if you have been targeted for one of these offers. You can also use this link and log into your account to see if you are eligible.
In addition to free elite status, AA is giving members 10x 500-mile upgrade certificates just for signing up. Plus, you can earn 10 more 500-mile upgrades after completing the following requirements detailed below.
Not sure what 500-mile upgrade certs are? You can read more about them here.
Lastly, as part of this offer, AA is offering a fast track to either keep or re-qualify for elite status.
Offer Key Details
- Registration is required and can be done via email or by visiting AA's promotions page
- Make sure to register by July 13, 2021 11:59PM CDT
- Your 3 months start within 24 hours of registering
- 500-mile upgrades will be deposited into your account within 72 hours
Elite Status Challenge Requirements
Once you accept your free elite status offer, you only get to keep it for 3 months. During those 3 months, you can meet certain criteria to keep that status through January 1, 2023. Or, you can upgrade your status by reaching higher thresholds.
As for the requirements, offers seem to vary from person to person. American Airlines sent this specific offer to one of our readers with the following requirements for retaining Platinum or for leveling up their elite status.
There are a few stipulations and exclusions when meeting the requirements for this offer to be aware of:
- Basic economy flights are not eligible for this challenge
- Eligible flights must be operated by American Airlines or marketed by the following: American Eagle, Alaska Airlines, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, JetBlue, or Qantas. All other airlines do not qualify.
- Qualifying eligible flights may be purchased in any fare that earns EQM, EQS, and EQD in the AAdvantage program
- Flights completed before registration do not count toward the requirements
- Flights completed 3 months after registration also do not count.
- Once you meet the requirements, your status will immediately be extended
Elite status with American Airlines can really make a difference in the travel experience. It comes with several unique benefits depending on your level and can include things like free upgrades, priority check-in, and a dedicated customer service phone line. Learn all about AA's elite status here.
Normally, the ability to reach elite status with an airline is out of reach for most. It's great to see American Airlines giving people the opportunity to try out free elite status and lowering the threshold to make it more achievable for the average traveler.
Were you targeted for one of the Gold or Platinum elite status offers?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.