AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for The Platinum Card® from American Express are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Avianca LifeMiles has launched an award sale on select routes across the globe, offering up to 43% off regular award redemption rates. Now through December 9, 2019, book award travel on one of the specified routes to take advantage of this promotion. To find which routes are eligible, follow this link and then click on “Review here.”
The chart provided by Avianca displays a lot of information – almost too much at first glance. A whopping 14 airports in the United States and Canada are part of international routes included in this promotion, most of which have domestic flights included as well:
- Chicago – O’Hare (ORD)
- Houston – Intercontinental (IAH)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- Miami (MIA)
- Newark (EWR)
- New Orleans (MSY)
- New York (JFK)
- Orlando (MCO)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Seattle (SEA)
- Toronto – Pearson (YYZ)
- Washington D.C. – Dulles (IAD)
- Vancouver (YVR)
Discounts By Cabin
The discounted awards are anywhere from 6%* to 43% less than typical mileage costs. Discounts are also applicable to all classes of service, including six different routes in first class. Some global highlights from the promotion, organized by cabin of travel, include:
- Houston to/from Lima, Peru – 16,000 miles, 20% discount
- Newark to/from Boston – 4,500 miles, 31% discount
- Newark to/from Tel Aviv, Israel – 30,000 miles, 29% discount
- Orlando to/from Medellin, Colombia – 14,000 miles, 30% discount
- Miami to/from Panama City, Panama – 10,000 miles, 43% discount
- Bangkok, Thailand to/from Seoul, South Korea – 25,000 miles, 31% discount
- San Francisco to/from Seoul, South Korea – 56,500 miles, 25% discount
- Seattle to/from Taipei, Taiwan – 62,500 miles, 17% discount
- Newark to/from London, England – 48,000 miles, 24% discount (listed as 20%)
- New York to/from Zurich, Switzerland – 50,500 miles, 20% discount
- Miami to/from Panama City, Panama – 18,000 miles, 40% discount
- New York to/from Seoul, South Korea – 81,000 miles, 10% discount
- New York to/from Beijing, China – 81,000 miles, 10% discount
- Los Angeles to/from Beijing, China – 81,000 miles, 10% discount
- Washington D.C. to/from Beijing, China – 81,000 miles, 10% discount
- Los Angeles to/from Seoul, South Korea – 72,000 miles, 20% discount
- Los Angeles to Tokyo (Narita), Japan – 72,000 miles, 20% discount
* Note that the route from Taiwan (TPE) to Los Angeles (LAX) in economy is listed as a 1% discount, though this is only due to a typo in the promotional chart. The discounted amount of 33,000 miles one way is correct, but the original amount of 33,500 miles should really be 35,000.
It is worth noting that the fights on these routes do not have to be nonstop. For instance, many Star Alliance carriers fly from Newark to Europe, though only United flies direct to London. Still, you can route through other European cities to reach London and pay the discounted award price:
Considering the LifeMiles program does not collect any fuel or carrier surcharges, this could be a prime opportunity to redeem for travel on an airline like Lufthansa that is notorious for high fees.
By itself, this promotion presents fabulous opportunities to book discounted awards, even in first class. Coupled with the current 25% Citi transfer bonus (ends December 11, 2019), some fantastic redemptions around the globe can be had for even less.
Or, combine this opportunity with the Avianca buy miles promotion (ends December 3, 2019) to effectively pay cash for these award flights. If you use The Platinum Card® from American Express or the Citi Prestige® Card to buy Avianca LifeMiles, you’ll earn 5X miles on the purchase price of the miles. If you have a trip in mind that aligns with the discounted routes offered, think about taking advantage of this sale before December 9th!
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.