AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Amex has unveiled some positive changes to the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, which is already one of the best cash-back cards on the market. The card receives new cash-back bonus categories for select streaming services and ground transportation, and takes on a fresh new look. The changes apply to both existing cardholders and new applicants.
- Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%).
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more).
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.99% to 23.99%.
- Plan It® gives the option to select purchases of $100 or more to split up into monthly payments with a fixed fee.
- Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- $95 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%)
- 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases
Updated Blue Cash Preferred Cash Back Bonus Categories
As of May 9, 2019, the Blue Cash Preferred now earns an unlimited 6% cash back on select U.S. streaming services (see the full list below), plus 3% cash back on select ground transportation. The new bonus categories layer on top of the existing Blue Cash Preferred earning categories, which now include:
- 6% back at U.S. supermarkets, on up to $6,000 per year; then 1%
- 6% back on select U.S. streaming services
- 3% back on transit, including trains, taxi cabs, rideshare services, ferries, tolls, parking, buses, and subways
- 3% back at U.S. gas stations
- 1% back on everything else
For existing cardholders, Amex is removing the 3% cash back at U.S. department stores category on July 1, 2019. The new bonus categories are a great addition to the Blue Cash Preferred, cementing it as one of the best cash-back cards available to U.S. consumers. The full list of streaming services added to the 6% category includes:
- Amazon Music
- Apple Music
- CBS All Access
- Direct TV Now
- Fubo TV
- HBO Now
- Kindle Unlimited
- NBA League Pass
- Prime Video Unlimited
- Sling TV
- SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite
- YouTube Music Premium
- YouTube Premium
- YouTube TV
The 3% back on transit purchases is restricted to ground transport, so airfare and airline purchases are not included. Amex gives the following examples of purchases that should qualify for this category:
- Taxi Cabs
- Rideshare services
Overall, these are positive changes to the Blue Cash Preferred. The card already ranked high on our list of best rewards cards for supermarkets and grocery spending and the best credit cards for gas and fuel, so the addition of 6% back on streaming services, plus 3% back on transit, cements the card's position as one of the best cash back cards on the market.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.