AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Aeromexico Rewards' frequent flyer program can be a touch harder to book than some of its partners in the SkyTeam alliance. But that doesn't mean you should shy away from booking an award!
With some patience, persistence, and time on the phone, Aeromexico Rewards members can extract top value from Aeromexico's program.
We've covered the sweet spots in Aeromexico Rewards in another post, so we won't detail them here. This post will focus on the process of booking an award flight on Aeromexico, or one of its partner airlines.
Does Aeromexico Rewards Add Surcharges or Fees on Award Tickets?
Yes, they do. Aeromexico Rewards adds additional surcharges to its own award tickets and to those ticketed on partner airlines. The charges aren’t over the top on most routes, although flying business New York—Paris round-trip on partner Air France will run you close to $1,000 in fuel surcharges.
Are You Allowed One-Way Award Flights with Aeromexico Rewards?
Yes. One-way awards are possible using half the miles of a round-trip award plus fees/charges. For example, flying business class one-way from the U.S. to Japan or South Korea will set you back 56,250 miles and about $130/150 in fees and charges.
Understanding the Aeromexico Rewards Award Chart
Aeromexico Rewards made some significant changes to its award chart in 2015, few of them positive. However, there are still valuable routes offering good value between the U.S. and Europe, to Northern Asia, and also for round-the-world flights.
Premier Points are valued differently to other rewards points, with American Express Membership Rewards transferring at a ratio of 1,000:1,600 points. To get a comparable value from the award rates shown in the Aeromexico Rewards award chart, divide the total points required by 1.6 to discover the number of Membership Rewards points an award will cost.
Can You Book Aeromexico Rewards Awards Online?
That depends if you can read Spanish…
Realistically, the answer is no. The award booking system used by Aeromexico Rewards is in Spanish, and if you don't have all the points in your account you can only calculate the points required, not the fees and taxes. Not much help if you intend transferring points from Amex.
The site also doesn't allow you to search for, or book, partner awards. This can only be achieved by calling the Aeromexico U.S. call center on (1) 855 412 2650.
Ironically, although this number appears in a pop-up window for U.S. members to call, when we called in to price awards to Asia we were greeted by a stream of Spanish, with the only understandable words for an English speaker being ‘por favor.’
One of the biggest pain points of booking awards with a foreign carrier can be the language barrier. Booking partner awards with Korean Air SKYPASS is now a breeze following the last update to Korean’s website. The entire process from award search to purchasing award tickets has become streamlined and painless.
The process with Aeromexico was not painless… at all.
How to Search and Book Award Tickets with Aeromexico Rewards
First, you need to find partner award availability using another SkyTeam award search engine such as Delta, Korean, or Air France. Be as specific as possible recording flight numbers, times, and connections if any.
To find an agent capable of searching, pricing, and booking return flights between New York (JFK) and Seoul (ICN) in business, at a rate matching the Aeromexico Rewards award chart, required four calls. This may not be everyone's experience, but from our end, it was hard going and frustrating work.
The first two reps we encountered both appeared knowledgeable when we could understand each other. The communication issues were bad enough we hung up and called back.
As we couldn’t understand the call center greeting, each time we called back was a few minutes of pushing 1’s and 0’s until we could get an operator on the line and then asking ‘Hablando inglés por favor’ in appalling Spanish.
The third agent spoke fantastic English, but had a very poor understanding of the award chart and could not find partner award space we had showing up across multiple Sky Team partner websites. When she finally found the availability, the rep had the award rate pegged at 371,000 Premier Points per person for round-trip flights in business class between the U.S. and South Korea (180K on the Aeromexico Rewards award chart) and wouldn't budge no matter how much we explained the situation.
Calling back again we finally got the rep we needed. She found the flights we were chasing immediately and had them priced up correctly at 180K Premier Points with accompanying fees and charges of US$276 (this includes an approx $25 booking fee), all within 10 minutes of getting on the phone.
Will Aeromexico Rewards Hold an Award Ticket?
Yes! After completing the booking process, the rep then offered to hold the award for up to six days while we transferred points to Aeromexico Rewards from Membership Rewards. Amex transfers to Aeromexico Rewards can take up to two weeks, but as long as you link your account with a small transfer first, can be as quick as a few days.
Best Cards for Building a Usable Balance of Premier Points
While Aeromexico offers three co-branded credit cards through US Bank, you can take advantage of better bonus categories and build your points balance faster using American Express Membership Rewards, which transfer to Aeromexico Rewards at a 1,000:1,600 ratio.
Points transfers are final once completed, so only transfer points when availability is confirmed. One of our favorite credit cards for earning Membership Rewards is:
- Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $8,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get up to $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®. The Hotel Collection requires a minimum two-night stay.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back in statement credits each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Disney+, a Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, The New York Times, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The Wall Street Journal. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership (subject to auto-renewal) with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card®. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Up Benefits are excluded.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Select one qualifying airline and then receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year when incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card®.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $300 back in statement credits per calendar year on an Equinox membership, or an Equinox club membership (subject to auto-renewal) when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required. Visit https://platinum.equinox.com/ to enroll.
- $189 CLEAR® Plus Credit: Breeze through security with CLEAR Plus at 100+ airports, stadiums, and entertainment venues nationwide and get up to $189 back per calendar year on your Membership (subject to auto-renewal) when you use your Platinum Card®. Learn more.
- $100 Global Entry Credit: Receive either a $100 statement credit every 4 years for a Global Entry application fee or a statement credit up to $85 every 4.5 years for a TSA PreCheck® (through a TSA official enrollment provider) application fee, when charged to your Platinum Card®. Card Members approved for Global Entry will also receive access to TSA PreCheck at no additional cost.
- Shop Saks with Platinum: Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases in Saks Fifth Avenue stores or at saks.com on your Platinum Card®. That's up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $300 SoulCycle At-Home Bike Credit: Get a $300 statement credit for the purchase of a SoulCycle at-home bike with your Platinum Card®. An Equinox+ subscription is required to purchase a SoulCycle at-home bike and access SoulCycle content. Must charge full price of bike in one transaction. Shipping available in the contiguous U.S. only. Enrollment Required.
- Unlock access to exclusive reservations and special dining experiences with Global Dining Access by Resy when you add your Platinum Card® to your Resy profile.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- Earn 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel (up to $500,000 in purchases per calendar year).
- Earn 5X points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
Booking an award flight with any foreign frequent flyer program that doesn't allow you to book online can be frustrating in the extreme. The total time on the phone added up to a little over an hour, and that was only trying to book for one person, on a fairly common award route, with a large partner airline.
Booking a round-the-world itinerary with multiple stopovers (one of the best sweet spots in the Aeromexico Rewards program) would be hard going if you get the wrong sales agent.
Our advice if you struggle to make them understand your request is to simply hang up and call back until you get a rep that speaks good English and has a thorough understanding of the award booking process.
Have any experience redeeming Aeromexico awards? We would love to hear it in the comments!
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: The Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.