AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Etihad and Air Canada's Aeroplan have launched an exciting new partnership. Starting this week, you can earn Aeroplan miles while flying Etihad, earn Etihad miles while flying Air Canada, and—most importantly—redeem both types of miles for travel on the other. This opens the door to several exciting new redemption possibilities, including Etihad's iconic first-class ‘Apartment' product!
Redeem Aeroplan Miles on Etihad
Let's cut right to the chase. Perhaps the most exciting development to come from this newly-launched partnership is the ability to use Aeroplan miles to fly on Etihad, and the terms don't disappoint:
- Award flights on Etihad will be subject to Aeroplan's ‘Fixed Mileage Reward Chart‘.
- Aeroplan miles can be used to book award flights on all available routes, without region restrictions.
- Etihad flights can be combined with Air Canada and any other international partners (including other Star Alliance airlines) on the same itinerary.
- There will be no Carrier-Imposed Surcharges on Etihad redemptions.
- Redemptions on Etihad are bookable via Aeroplan.com or Aeroplan's Contact Centre.
Here is the Canada/U.S.-centric portion of the award chart:
A couple of the redemption rates include:
- The United States to South Africa for 75,000 miles in business class or 105,000 miles in first class
- Japan to the Middle East for 62,500 miles in business class or 87,500 miles in first class
Interestingly, this new partnership also opens the door to a couple of other, less straightforward redemptions due to Etihad's Abu Dhabi hub location. While we don't know whether Aeroplan's routing rules will allow it, you could now potentially redeem Aeroplan miles between the U.S. and:
- Europe via Abu Dhabi for 70,000 miles in first-class Apartments
- Australia via Abu Dhabi for 110,000 miles in first-class Apartments
- Asia 1 (China, South Korea, Japan, etc.) via Abu Dhabi for 105,000 miles in first-class Apartments
This could be an incredible deal for that product if it turns out to be bookable! Aeroplan doesn't appear to display itineraries like this online, but that doesn't mean they aren't bookable with a phone agent.
Redeem Etihad Guest Miles on Air Canada
While Etihad isn't part of any alliance, it has numerous one-off partners that you can book using Etihad miles.
- To book partner awards with Etihad Guest Miles, you have to call Etihad's Guest Service Centre.
- Partner awards must be booked at least 24 hours before the intended travel.
Etihad Guest has a separate award chart for each of its partners. Like most of Etihad's other partners, Aeroplan awards are subjected to a distance-based award chart. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be bursting with value.
These represent one-way prices. Round-trips are double the mileage requirement.
A couple of potential redemptions could be:
- Toronto (YYZ) to London (LHR) for 47,000 miles in economy or 94,000 miles in business class
- Vancouver (YVR) to Sydney (SYD) for 85,000 miles in economy or 170,000(!) miles in business class
It is worth noting that some very short hops could be potentially lucrative, as flights under 500 miles in distance only cost 5,000 or 10,000 miles in economy or business class, respectively. A couple of sample flights would be:
- New York LaGuardia (LGA) to Toronto (YYZ)
- Toronto (YYZ) to Montreal (YUL)
- Calgary (YYC) to Kelowna (YLW)
Earn Aeroplan Miles on Etihad Flights
Starting this week, Aeroplan loyalty members can earn Aeroplan miles for flying on Etihad. While the terms and conditions are relatively strait-forward, it's important to note that Aeroplan Miles earned on eligible Etihad Airways flights will not count towards Air Canada Altitude status.
Earn Etihad Guest Miles on Air Canada Flights
Starting today, Etihad Guest members can earn Etihad miles on Air Canada flights with a few important terms and conditions:
- Flights marketed by Air Canada and operated by a third-party carrier other than Air Canada Airlines or Etihad Airways will not be eligible for Etihad Guest miles accrual.
- Flights taken on Air Canada are not eligible to earn Etihad Guest Tier Miles and therefore, do not contribute to earning or maintaining your Etihad Guest Tier.
- Travelers can claim missing miles up to six months from the actual date of travel.
- The following booking classes are not eligible for mileage accrual: I, X, F, R.
Etihad bases the earn rate on the booking class and total distance flown. You can find the full-sized table here.
This is a fantastic new development for award travelers, especially when it comes to using Aeroplan miles for Etihad flights. Aeroplan's customer-friendly terms—including no carrier surcharges and a generous zone-based award chart—combined with the ability to transfer points from Amex Membership Rewards (1:1), Capital One Miles (2:1.5), and Marriott Bonvoy Points (3:1) could make it much easier to book yourself into one of Etihad's stellar premium-class products.
What are you going to do with Aeroplan and Etihad's new partnership?
H/T: One Mile At A Time
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.