AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
When it comes to airline loyalty programs, avid award travelers have a love-hate relationship with British Airways. You'll find plenty of award availability on British Airways flights. But, that availability is often paired with ridiculous fuel surcharges and airport taxes that can erase much of the savings of using miles.
However, where British Airways shines is with discounted cash fares to Europe. Even better, these fares can be discounted even further by using the newly extended partnership with AARP and the Chase Visa 10% discount. If you're booking cash fares on British Airways and not taking advantage of either of these discounts, you're doing it wrong!
British Airways / AARP Discount
The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) is open for anyone to join, regardless of age or employment status. While AARP restricts some of the benefits based on your age, the discount on British Airways is open to everyone.
Membership only costs $16 per year. Considering it can save you up to $200 per person on just one trip, it's a no-brainer for anyone planning to book a British Airways ticket.
While this discount is not a guaranteed benefit, British Airways has continually extended it year after year. This year's version of the promotion is good for bookings made through January 31, 2024.
Here's how much you'll save:
- $65 off return economy Standard* fares (World Traveller)
- $65 off return premium economy fares (World Traveller Plus)
- $200 off return business fares (Club World)
- $200 off return first class fares (First). Although this isn't an advertised discount, the discount is currently applicable to First Class fares
*AARP discount does not apply to economy Basic fares.
Again this year, the discount is available to all cabins of service — including premium economy. While it's not quite as generous as it has been in the past, a $65 discount is still better than no discount at all — as it's been for the last couple of years.
|For flights booked by:||Economy|
(World Traveller Plus)
* Not available for Basic economy tickets
** Discount is unadvertised but available
Terms and Limitations
- Book by January 31, 2024 for travel through January 31, 2024.
- At least one person on the reservation must be a member of AARP
- You have to use British Airways' dedicated AARP link to book your ticket.
- Discounts are only valid on round-trip (excluding open-jaw) fares.
- Discounts only apply to the base fare.
- Both inbound and outbound travel must in the same cabin (Economy, Premium Economy, etc.).
- Only valid for U.S. residents paying U.S. Dollars for travel originating in the U.S.
10% Chase Visa Card Discount
One of the advertised benefits of the British Airways Visa Signature® Card is a 10% discount on the purchase of British Airways flights by using a promo code. However, this promo code also (somehow) works with any other Chase Visa credit card. Even better, it's stackable with the AARP discount!
- Receive 10% off your purchase of British Airways' flights.
- Use the promo code CHASEBA10
- Valid for round-trip or open-jaw itineraries departing from the U.S. on flights marketed and flown by British Airways
- Valid for any class of service, including economy (World Traveller), premium economy (World Traveller Plus), business class (Club World), and First Class
- Book up to eight friends and family members traveling on the same flight
There's good and bad here. The good news is that BA calculates the discount based on your ticket's total purchase price, including all of the taxes, fees, and carrier surcharges. The bad news is that all flights have to be on British Airways' aircraft, meaning that itineraries that include connections on AA or any other partner airline won't qualify.
How to Add the Promo Code
Unfortunately, adding the code isn't quite as self-explanatory as you might expect. BA doesn't make it obvious where you can add this code, so I'll show you here.
Start by navigating to British Airways' website and search for your trip. Once you've found your desired itinerary and selected your flights, the second screen — entitled ‘Review your flights’ — will display your choice. This is where you add the promo code. As you scroll down the screen, you'll see a small, light-blue link that reads “Use Promotion Code or EVoucher”.
Once you select this, you'll see the menu appear where you can enter the promo code. It will display the calculated discount once you've successfully added the code.
It's great that these discounts are still available. For anyone who finds themself booking British Airways revenue tickets, joining AARP is a no-brainer, even just for one booking. Additionally, if your itinerary meets the Chase Visa discount requirements, it's worth the 5 seconds it takes to add the promo code.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.