AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Activation for Chase Freedom® 5% bonus categories for Q1 2020 is now open. To receive your bonus, you need to activate it by March 14, 2020. The Q1 5% categories are gas stations, internet, cable and phone services, and select streaming services. With this offer, you will earn 5% cash back on the first $1,500 of purchases at participating merchants from January 1 through March 31, 2020.
- You need to activate your bonus by March 14, 2019.
- Earn 5% cash back on the first $1,500 of spending (max $75 cash back), earn 1% after that.
- This quarter the bonus categories are gas stations, internet, cable and phone services, and select streaming services.
- Purchases that post to your account between January 1, and March 31, 2020, are eligible for the bonus.
One thing to note is that as long as you activate your bonus by March 14, 2020, you will earn cash back for the whole promotion period, even purchases made prior to your activation date.
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- Earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - it's automatic
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 16.49 - 25.24%.
- 3% intro balance transfer fee when you transfer a balance during the first 60 days your account is open, with a minimum of $5.
- No annual fee
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open and there is no minimum to redeem for cash back.
- Free credit score, updated weekly with Credit Journey℠
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter.
- Unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
Internet Cable and Phone Services
The full list of eligible merchants is extensive. However, there are some exclusions. The main exclusions from the internet, cable, and phone services category are:
- Equipment purchases.
- Payment made in the merchant's store may not be eligible, since they may not be classified by the merchant in a qualifying category.
Select Streaming Services
The selection of streaming services this quarter is widespread and includes:
- Fubo TV
- Apple Music
Maximize Your Value By Pairing with a Premium Card
If you only hold the Freedom Card, you will only be able to leverage your cash back for a value of one cent per point. However, if you also hold a Chase premium card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, or Ink Business Preferred℠ Credit Card, you can leverage the points generated by your Freedom Card for a higher value.
By transferring your points to a premium card, you can redeem them for between 1.25 and 1.5 cents per point via the Chase travel portal, depending on which card you hold. Also, holding a premium card opens up the opportunity for you to transfer your points to one of Chase's many travel partners.
If you have the Freedom Card, there is no reason not to activate your 5% bonus as it's the primary motivation to hold the card. Depending on your spending patterns, maximizing your rewards this quarter may be a little difficult (although some people may find it easy to meet the $1,500 limit with gas purchases alone). Whether you can maximize your earnings this quarter or not, it is always worth registering for the bonus if you hold the Freedom Card.
Source: Frequent Miler
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.