AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Citi has announced another round of promotional category bonuses for its premium credit card, the Citi Prestige® Card. Through the end of the year, Prestige Card cardholders can earn 5X points on online, cable, and streaming purchases.
However, like Citi's last promotional category bonus, this one comes with limitations. Namely, you can only earn a maximum of 7,500 bonus through this promotion.
Promotional Bonus Category Key Terms
- Prestige Card cardholders can earn 5X ThankYou Points per dollar spent on online, cable, and streaming purchases.
- This promotional bonus category is available now through December 31, 2020.
- There's no need to register for this promotion.
- There is no landing page for this promotion. Prestige Card cardholders should have received an email with the promotion.
- Earn up to a maximum of 7,500 bonus ThankYou points under this promotion.
- Eligible streaming services include: Amazon Music, Amazon Prime Video, Apple Music, CBS All Access, AT&T TV Now, Disney+, ESPN+, fuboTV, HBO NOW, MLB.TV, NBA League Pass, Netflix, Pandora, Showtime, SiriusXM, Sling TV, Spotify, Starz, Vudu, YouTube Premium, YouTube TV.
As this is the second time Citi has offered a promotion like this, we better understand how the bonus limitation works. On the surface, earning 5X for up to 7,500 points would make you assume that the spending cap is $1,500. However, it's only the extra 4X bonus points (on top of the 1X you'd normally earn) that Citi limits to 7,500. Therefore, the actual spending cap is $1,875 in eligible purchases.
The easiest way to maximize this bonus is through online purchases. This is thanks, in part, to Citi's broad definition of an ‘online purchase'. Like the ‘travel' bonus category with the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (review), almost everything you could consider an online purchase qualifies for the bonus. And with the holidays quickly approaching, ‘online purchases' will be a very popular spending category.
This 5X bonus category is in addition to the 5X the Prestige Card already earns on airfare and dining.
More and more people have turned to online purchases for everyday purchases and home entertainment. In this way, Citi has done a pretty good job of expanding cardmember benefits to suit the changing financial landscape. Good thing, too. As a premium travel credit card at a time when people aren't traveling, the Prestige Card needed a new way to provide value.
How valuable is earning 5X points on online purchases to you?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.