AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
It's getting harder and harder to keep track of all the new ways to earn Southwest points. The airline has offered promotions on top of promotions on top of promotions. And now, it's back with yet another one: Southwest's co-branded credit cardholders will earn 5X points on Southwest travel purchases through the end of March 2021.
- Register here by March 31, 2021 (only purchases made after registering will qualify)
- Qualifying Southwest purchases through March 31, 2021 (the promotional period) will earn 5X Rapid Rewards points on up to $2,000 spent per calendar month
- Cardholders will earn a total of 5X points. That's an additional 3X or 2X on top of the regular earning rates.
- Qualifying purchases include flights, inflight purchases, Southwest gift cards bought directly from Southwest, purchases from the Rapid Rewards Points Center, and Southwest Vacations packages
- Points earned WILL count towards Companion Pass qualification. However, points WILL NOT count towards earning A-List or A-List Preferred status
- Bonus offer applies only to the account of the primary Cardmember
- Allow up to eight weeks after the promotion period ends for bonus points to post to your account
Qualifying Southwest credit cards:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Business Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Employee Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Business Credit Card
Related Post: Southwest Companion Pass Strategy
At first glance, earning 5X points sounds great. If you were to maximize this promotion, you stand to earn 20,000 points for $4,000 in spend over two months. Since I value Southwest points at 1.4¢ each, that's roughly a 7% return. At the same time, it's important to recognize that this isn't so much a “5X” promotion as it is an “additional 2-or-3X” promotion. So, maximizing would actually only translate into an extra 8,000–12,000 points for the same spend, worth ~$104–$156 respectively.
Now through March 2021, Southwest co-branded cardmembers can earn 5X points on up to $2,000 in Southwest purchases per month. If you see yourself making any Southwest purchases soon, be sure to register. With all these promotions, Southwest is making it easy to build your stash of Rapid Rewards points. Hopefully, we can soon get back to spending them as fast as we're earning them!
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.