AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
British Airways has announced a promotion awarding you double base Avios on flights through December 31, 2018. The promotion only applies to the first 10 flights you take, and you will earn double base Avios (those earned by a BA Executive Club Blue members) during the promotion.
- You need to register to earn double base Avios
- The promotion is valid on flights through December 31, 2018
- Members will earn double base Avios on the first 10 flights they take
- Bookings made before registration are ineligible for the promotion
- Promotion applies to all BA operated flights
- You can also earn double Avios on BA prefix transatlantic flights operated by American Airlines (AA), Iberia (IB) or Finnair (AY) between Europe and North America
- Flights booked as part of a BA Holiday Package do not count
- Promotion can not be combined with any other offer
The Fine Print
One thing that is unclear is how the promotion works if you hold the BA co-branded credit card. The card has a host of features and benefits including a 10% discount on BA flights. If you use your card to book a flight and receive the discount, will it make you ineligible to earn double bonus Avios? We don't know.
Remember with the promotion you will only earn double base Avios, excluding cabin class and tier bonuses. A flight from JFK to London Heathrow LHR, in low-tier business, will typically earn BA Blue member 5,187 Avios.
With the promotion, you will not earn 10,374 Avios since the 5,187 Avios includes a 50% class bonus. The base number of Avios is 3,458 which is 100% of miles flown. With the promotion, you will earn 8,645 Avios (5,187 + 3,458 double base Avios bonus).
This promotion is not the most generous that BA has come up with, but if you are thinking of taking any qualifying flights during the promotion period, then why not register for the promotion? It only takes two mouse clicks to register and then you can plan your travel at your own pace.
Source: One Mile At A Time
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.