AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
If you've already have been approved for The Business Platinum® Card from American Express, and have received your new card, congratulations! Now comes the job of calculating how best to take advantage of the perks and benefits, and strategizing a spending plan to claim its welcome bonus.
If you haven't applied for this card, and you own or operate a business of any kind, this card is a fantastic option to build a substantial balance of Membership Rewards points and offers some of the best perks of any rewards card on the market.
Buckle up while we break down the first steps after receiving your card, and how to make the most of one of the best business credit card offers available!
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- Rates & Fees
Learn Which Purchases Credit for the $200 Amex Airline Credit
The Amex Airline Credit is not quite as generous as those offered by some of its premium rivals, with purchases restricted to the cardholders nominated airline. That said, it's easy to use and can be valued at roughly face value.
Purchases that Amex will credit include airline change fees, airport lounge day passes & annual memberships, booking fees, checked baggage fees, in-flight fees, entertainment, and seat assignment fees. See our recent post on how to use the Amex Airline Travel Credit for details.
The Airline Fee Credit is based on the calendar year, not cardholder year. So cardholders can typically earn it twice within the first year, effectively reducing the out of pocket expense to $50 for the first year.
Get Up To Date With Lounge Access Rules & Locations
The Business Platinum Card gives cardholders access to over 1,000 airport lounges around the world. Access to The Centurion® lounge network, International American Express lounges and Airspace Lounge is complimentary and doesn’t require registration. Cardholders can bring a spouse and kids into the lounge for free, or any 2 other people.
Lounge access privileges include:
- Delta Sky Club when flying Delta
- Airspace Lounges, Plaza Premium Lounges, and the American Express Lounge by Pontus at Arlanda (Stockholm)
- Lufthansa Lounges in Munich when traveling on Lufthansa, Swiss, and Austrian
- Eurostar Business Premier Lounges at St Pancras International, Paris Gare du Nord, Brussels Midi/Zuid, and Ebbsfleet International
- The Centurion Lounge. Current Centurion Lounge locations include Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Houston (IAH), Las Vegas (LAS), New York LaGuardia (LGA), Miami (MIA), Seattle-Tacoma (SEA) and San Francisco (SFO)
- International American Express Lounges locations including Delhi (DEL), Buenos Aires (EZE), Mexico City (MEX), Monterrey (MTY), Toluca (TLC), Sydney (SYD), Melbourne (MEL), and Hong Kong (HKG)
- Virgin Australia Lounges when flying Virgin
- Offers full Priority Pass Select membership
You also gain access to Delta Sky Club® lounges. However, complimentary access is limited to the cardholder, with up to 2 additional guests costing $29 each. Cardholders must enroll in Priority Pass™ Select online, and the card will take 10-14 business days to arrive. Complimentary access is limited to the enrolled card member + 2 guests, with additional guests costing $27 per head, charged directly to your Business Platinum Card.
For a full list of lounge locations, Amex has put together a dedicated website with a handy search function that allows you to search all four lounge networks via one search.
Enroll in Global Entry or TSA Pre✔™
Charge your Global Entry or TSA Pre✔™ to your Business Platinum Card and the fee will be refunded. Unless you are one of the roughly 60% of Americans that don’t hold a valid passport, and you do not plan on leaving the country anytime soon, we always recommend enrolling in Global Entry over TSA Pre✔™.
Global Entry includes a TSA Pre✔™ membership but also gives you expedited security when returning to U.S. shores. Pretty handy at the end of a long international flight and a big timesaver if you travel regularly. You can find more info on both programs in our guide to getting expedited security for free.
Learn About Membership Rewards Travel & Transfer Partners
One of the features of the Membership Rewards program that makes it so rewarding is the ability to transfer points to an extensive list of travel and transfer partners. While not as broad as Marriott’s transfer partner list, a number of Amex transfer partners offer significant value. Learn five of our favorite transfer strategies!
Claim Your Hilton and Marriott Gold Elite Status
One of the biggest advantages the Business Platinum Card has over its rivals is the elite status provided with the card. Cardmembers can gain elite status in 7 different programs simply by being a cardholder.
To claim your Hilton Honors Gold Elite status, you can enroll via the link on the Business Platinum Card’s benefits page. To claim your SPG/Marriott Gold status, call the number on the back of your Business Platinum Card and speak to one of the reps.
Register for Gogo® and Boingo Internet Access
Cardmembers gain access to over 1,000,000 hotspots worldwide, on up to 4 devices, after registering for Boingo internet access. In addition to Boingo, you get 10 free passes for Gogo® in-flight Wi-Fi. You can register on the pages below:
Start Checking Amex Travel For Deals
Another benefit of the Business Platinum Card is 35% points back when using Membership Rewards® Pay with Points. You can redeem Membership Rewards points for first and business class travel booked through Amex Travel, and when booking economy with your registered airline.
This is one of the better perks of the Business Platinum Card. In fact, gaining 35% of your points back as a rebate is one of the better rewards card benefits on the market today.
The Business Platinum Card is one of the best premium travel rewards cards available with a seemingly endless list of perks and benefits. If you were sharp enough to get on board with this offer and you're now in ‘meet minimum spend’ mode, hopefully, the list above will help you on your way to a successful relationship with your new card. Don't know if you'll qualify for a business card? The reality is that almost anyone can get a business credit card if they know how to apply.
It’s also worth noting that applying for a business card like the Business Platinum Card doesn’t affect your new card count for applications with Chase. As a business credit card, it will not count towards Chase's 5/24 rule.
If you have any questions about the Business Platinum Card, let us know in the comments!
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: The Business Platinum® Card from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.