AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
If you've already have been approved for The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, and have received your new card, congratulations! Now comes the job of calculating how best to take advantage of the perks and benefits, and strategizing a spending plan to claim its welcome bonus.
If you haven't applied for this card, and you own or operate a business of any kind, this card is a fantastic option to build a substantial balance of Membership Rewards points and offers some of the best perks of any rewards card on the market.
Buckle up while we break down the first steps after receiving your card, and how to make the most of one of the best business card offers available!
- Welcome Offer: Earn 120,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on eligible purchases with your Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, 0% Intro APR for 12 months from the date of the account opening on purchases eligible for Pay Over Time. After that, your APR will be 14.24% to 22.24% based on your credit worthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases in key business categories, as well as on purchases of $5,000 or more everywhere else. Cap applies.
- Unlock over $1,000 in value per year for statement credits on select purchases with your Card, including up to $400 with Dell Technologies, up to $360 with Indeed, up to $150 with Adobe and up to $120 on wireless telephone purchases. Enrollment required.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year toward baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- Access to more than 1,300 airport lounges across 140 countries and counting with The American Express Global Lounge Collection®. More lounge options than any other credit card on the market as of 8/2020.
- $595 Annual Fee ($695 if application is received on or after 01/13/2022).
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases of $5,000 or more.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases with U.S. construction material and hardware suppliers.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases with U.S. electronic goods retailers and software & cloud system providers.
- Earn 1.5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible purchases with U.S. shipping providers.
- 1.5X earning rates are subject to a cap of $2 million in purchases per calendar year.
Learn Which Purchases Credit for the $200 Amex Airline Credit
The Amex Airline Credit is not quite as generous as those offered by some of its premium rivals, with purchases restricted to the cardholder's nominated airline. That said, it's easy to use and can be valued at roughly face value.
Purchases that Amex will credit include airline change fees, airport lounge day passes & annual memberships, booking fees, checked baggage fees, in-flight fees, entertainment, and seat assignment fees. See our recent post on how to use the Amex Airline Travel Credit for details.
The Airline Fee Credit is based on the calendar year, not cardholder year. So cardholders can typically earn it twice within the first year, reducing the out-of-pocket expense for holding the card in the first year.
Get Up To Date With Lounge Access Rules & Locations
The Business Platinum Card gives cardholders access to over 1,000 airport lounges around the world. Access to The Centurion® lounge network, International American Express lounges and Airspace Lounge is complimentary and doesn’t require registration. Cardholders can bring a spouse and kids into the lounge for free, or any 2 other people.
Lounge access privileges include:
- Delta Sky Club when flying Delta
- Airspace Lounges, Plaza Premium Lounges, and one-off lounges like the Pontus In The Air lounge in Stockholm (ARN)
- Lufthansa Lounges in Munich and Frankfurt when traveling on Lufthansa, Swiss, and Austrian
- Eurostar Business Premier Lounges at St Pancras International, Paris Gare du Nord, Brussels Midi/Zuid, and Ebbsfleet International
- The Centurion Lounge. Current Centurion Lounge locations include Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW), Houston (IAH), Las Vegas (LAS), New York LaGuardia (LGA), Miami (MIA), Seattle-Tacoma (SEA) and San Francisco (SFO)
- International American Express Lounges locations including Delhi (DEL), Buenos Aires (EZE), Mexico City (MEX), Monterrey (MTY), Toluca (TLC), Sydney (SYD), Melbourne (MEL), and Hong Kong (HKG)
- Virgin Australia Lounges when flying Virgin
- Offers full Priority Pass Select membership
- Enrollment is required for select Amex benefits.
You also gain access to Delta Sky Club® lounges. However, complimentary access is limited to the cardholder, with up to 2 additional guests costing $29 each. Cardholders must enroll in Priority Pass™ Select online, and the card will take 10-14 business days to arrive. Complimentary access is limited to the enrolled card member + 2 guests, with additional guests costing $27 per head, charged directly to your Business Platinum Card.
For a full list of lounge locations, Amex has put together a dedicated website with a handy search function that allows you to search all four lounge networks via one search.
Enroll in Global Entry or TSA Pre✔™
Charge your Global Entry or TSA PreCheck to your Business Platinum Card and the fee will be refunded. Unless you are one of the roughly 60% of Americans that don’t hold a valid passport, and you do not plan on leaving the country anytime soon, we always recommend enrolling in Global Entry over TSA PreCheck.
Global Entry includes a TSA PreCheck membership but also gives you expedited security when returning to U.S. shores. Pretty handy at the end of a long international flight and a big timesaver if you travel regularly. You can find more info on both programs in our guide to getting expedited security for free. Enrollment is required for select Amex benefits.
Learn About Membership Rewards Travel & Transfer Partners
One of the features of the Membership Rewards program that makes it so rewarding is the ability to transfer points to an extensive list of travel and transfer partners. While not as broad as Marriott’s transfer partner list, a number of Amex transfer partners offer significant value. Learn five of our favorite transfer strategies!
Claim Your Hilton and Marriott Gold Elite Status
One of the biggest advantages the Business Platinum Card has over its rivals is the elite status provided with the card. Cardmembers can gain elite status in 7 different programs simply by being a cardholder.
To claim your Hilton Honors Gold Elite status, you can enroll via the link on the Business Platinum Card benefits page. To claim your Marriott Gold status, call the number on the back of your Business Platinum Card and speak to one of the reps. Enrollment is required for select Amex benefits.
Start Checking Amex Travel For Deals
Another benefit of the Business Platinum Card is 35% points back when using Membership Rewards® Pay with Points. You can redeem Membership Rewards points for first and business class travel booked through Amex Travel, and when booking economy with your registered airline.
This is one of the better perks of the Business Platinum Card. In fact, gaining 35% of your points back as a rebate is one of the better rewards card benefits on the market today.
The Business Platinum Card is one of the best premium travel rewards cards available with a seemingly endless list of perks and benefits. If you were sharp enough to get on board with this offer and you're now in ‘meet minimum spend’ mode, hopefully, the list above will help you on your way to a successful relationship with your new card. Don't know if you'll qualify for a business card? The reality is that almost anyone can get a business card if they know how to apply.
It’s also worth noting that applying for a business card like the Business Platinum Card doesn’t affect your new card count for applications with Chase. As a business card, it will not count towards Chase's 5/24 rule.
If you have any questions about the Business Platinum Card, let us know in the comments!
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: The Business Platinum Card® from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.