AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card and Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
Last year, Hilton announced several positive changes for members in response to the Covid-19 worldwide pandemic. Initially, these changes were meant to expire in March of 2022. But, as the pandemic continues to rage on, Hilton is stepping up once again. Hilton is extending elite status and other benefits for another year.
- All elite statuses with Hilton Honors will be extended through March 2023 — even if you didn't requalify in 2020 or 2021
- Nights earned in 2021 will roll over to next year
- Points expiration pause is extended until December 31, 2022
- Requirements for status will continue to be lower
- Free Weekend Night Certificates can be used on any night of the week
- Continue to earn Milestone Bonuses faster
- Hilton Honors Bonus Points earned through eligible purchases will continue to count as Base Points through December 31, 2022
Breakdown of Hilton Elite Status and Benefit Extensions
Elite Status Requirements
In addition to extending elite status, Hilton Honors is reducing what you'll need to earn in 2022 to earn elite status. All requirements have been reduced by about 30% off the standard rates. This means that you can achieve the following status levels by completing the respective requirements:
- Silver: 7 nights, 3 stays, or 17,500 Base Points
- Gold: 28 nights, 14 stays, or 52,500 Base Points
- Diamond: 42 nights, 21 stays, or 84,000 Base Points
Those requirements are about 40% higher than the Hilton Honors elite status requirements for 2021:
For every night you stay at a Hilton in 2021, those elite nights will roll over toward 2022 elite status requirements. If you stayed 25 nights in 2021, you'll get a kickstart toward status and begin 2022 with 25 elite-qualifying nights.
Base points are what you need to achieve status with Hilton. Normally, you can only earn Base Points when you pay for a room and stay with Hilton. But, through at least 2022, you can earn Base Points when you spend on a co-branded American Express Hilton credit card.
Members can continue to earn Milestone bonuses at a faster rate. In 2022, after a member has stayed 30 nights, they can get a bonus of 10,000 Hilton points for every 10 nights stayed. Once a member hits 60 nights in a calendar year, an additional 30,000 Hilton points will be awarded.
That matches what Hilton is offering for 2021:
Free Weekend Night Certificates
As the name implies, Weekend Night Certificates normally can only be used on weekends. But for the remainder of 2021 and until December, 31 2022, these certificates be used on any night.
Expiration of Free Weekend Night Certificates also has been extended. For certificates set to expire by August 31, 2021, expiration has been extended through January 3, 2022. Free Weekend Night certificates issued in 2021 will not expire until December 31, 2022.
For further details, you can read the full announcement from Hilton here.
Hilton Credit Cards
Having a co-branded Hilton credit card is the best way to take advantage of and maximize these temporary benefits — over both the short-term and long-term. Here are the current welcome offers:
- Hilton Honors American Express Card: Earn 80,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the Hilton Honors American Express Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn an additional 50,000 bonus points after you spend a total of $5,000 in purchases in the first 6 months.
- Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card: Earn up to 180,000 bonus points. You'll receive 130,000 Bonus Points after you spend $2,000 in purchases on the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, you can earn an additional 50,000 Points after you spend a total of $10,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 6 months.
- Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card: Earn 150,000 Bonus Points after you use your new Card to make $4,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, enjoy a free Weekend Night Reward within your first year and every year after renewal.
Related Content: Hilton Honors Cards From American Express
Hilton has really stepped up during this time of uncertainty by giving customers plenty of flexibility while we all navigate through these uncertain times.
Now, it's your move, Hyatt and Marriott.
What do you think of these changes as Hilton Honors extends elite and benefits?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.