AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
Update: Booking window closed on June 24. If you booked your stay by this date, you can complete your stay through August 26, 2022.
IHG just announced a flash sale giving members a 20% discount off the cash portion of a Points & Cash booking. But, you will have to hurry to take advantage of this promotion since it is only valid for bookings made through June 24, 2022.
This promotion is valid for stays through August 26, 2022 and lets you effectively purchase IHG points for under 0.6 cents per point.
- The promotion is valid for bookings made through June 24, 2022.
- Receive a 20% discount on the cash portion of an IHG Points & Cash stay.
- The offer is valid for stays between June 20, 2022, and August 26, 2022
- Members must be logged into their IHG One Rewards account when making the booking.
- When a booking is canceled, the entire refund is made in points.
- The number of points refunded is determined by the points value of the stay.
Check if You are Targeted for this IHG Points & Cash Promotion
This promotion is targeted, so it is not available to all IHG members. However, it seems widespread. To check if you are targeted, look in your email folder from June 20, 2022 to see if you have received the offer.
Alternatively, you can log into your IHG One Rewards account and try to make a booking with Points & Cash. If you see that the initial cash amount has been struck through and there is a lower value below it, then you have been selected for the offer.
Example IHG Points & Cash Discounts
We looked at multiple IHG properties in the U.S., and it seems that IHG has applied a constant discount rate across the board.
The price per point will vary depending on how many points you purchase, with the highest of 0.62 cents per point applied to purchases of 5,000 points and the lowest 0.592 cents per point applied to purchases of 25,000 points.
The discount pattern we found is as follows:
- 5,000 points discount for $31 which would yield a cost of 0.62 cents per point.
- 10,000 points discount for $61 which would yield a cost of 0.61 cents per point.
- 15,000 points discount for $90 which would yield a cost of 0.6 cents per point.
- 20,000 points discount for $119 which would yield a cost of 0.595 cents per point.
- 25,000 points discount for $148 which would yield a cost of 0.592 cents per point.
As you can see, the purchase price goes down the more points you purchase. The lowest purchase rate that we can find through this promotion is 0.592 cents per point.
IHG Credit Card Holders
While this deal is not setting the IHG world alight, it can be excellent value if you hold the IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card. Typically IHG point purchases are procced by points.com, meaning you won't earn any credit card category bonuses. However, IHG Points & Cash purchases are processed by IHG directly. That opens up a host of earning opportunities.
If you charge the cash portion of the IHG Points & Cash purchase to your IHG Rewards Premier Card, you will earn an additional 10X points per dollar spent at IHG. When you factor in the additional points earned from the card, then the rates with the promotion are as follows.
- 5,000 points + 310 points from card spending for $31 = 0.584 cents per point.
- 10,000 points + 610 points for $61 = 0.575 cents per point.
- 15,000 points + 900 points for $90 = 0.566 cents per point.
- 20,000 points + 1,190 points for $119 = 0.562 cents per point.
- 25,000 points + 1,480 points for $148 = 0.559 cents per point.
Keep in mind that the IHG Rewards Premier Card typically entitles you to a 20% discount on points purchases. However, in the small print, this offer does not stack with any other promotions or deals — including this one.
Other Options to purchase IHG Points
If you are looking to purchase IHG point to top up your balance but can wait for a little while, then you have multiple other options open to you. IHG regularly runs point purchase promotions, offering between 80% and 100% bonuses.
If you opt to wait and purchase IHG points with an 80% bonus, you would be paying 0.56 cents per point. But, if you can cash in on a promotion offering a 100% bonus, then you would be effectively paying 0.5 cents per point.
Keep in mind that these point purchase promotions are not rare. IHG runs the offers several times per year. The last promotion — offering an 80% bonus — expired on June 10, 2022. Check out the table below for a history of IHG points purchase promotions:
|Promotion Ended||Max Bonus||Min Cents Per Mile|
This IHG Points & Cash promotion can be an excellent workaround if you are a few points short of a great redemption or want to quickly boost your points balance for a shortly upcoming award stay. However, it is not the absolute best deal on purchasing IHG points — especially if you don't hold an IHG co-branded credit card to use for the transaction.
If you can wait for a buy IHG points deal, we recommend doing so. Chances are there will be a better point purchase offer just around the corner. Otherwise, this promotion can work in a pinch to boost your points balance.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.