AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
A few years ago we started the AwardWallet Blog as a means to share tips on travel, points, and miles with our members.
Additionally we're proud to add the Award Travel 101™ Facebook community to the AwardWallet family, providing you a new way to share and learn with other like-minded points and miles enthusiasts.
Founded in 2014, Award Travel 101™ is a community focused on a single goal: helping members achieve their travel dreams by maximizing reward programs. You ask, and we’re here to answer! No individual has all the answers; that’s what makes the community so helpful. Think you’ve run into a situation unlike anyone else? Ask away. With over 40,000 members, someone has the answer!
All About Award Travel 101
|How to Join Award Travel 101 - Free & Easy. Facebook Required.|
|What Makes Award Travel 101 Unique - Real people helping one another!|
|Weekly Featured Discussions - Scheduled chats, videos and topics we regularly cover.|
|In Person Events - Share and learn 1:1 with fellow community members!|
|How Award Travel 101 & AwardWallet are Connected - The perfect match! (we hope you agree)|
|The Story on Award Travel 101 - How it all got started.|
Joining Award Travel 101™ is Easy
- Head over to Facebook
- Make sure you’ve set a profile picture (so we know you’re not a robot)
- Join Award Travel 101™. There’s no cost to participate, and never will be.
Most importantly, our moderator team is here to ensure the information you’re getting is accurate and up to date. Have a question about the best way to use your points and miles, what strategy you should use to score an upgrade, or how to maximize the benefits of various credit card programs? Come to Award Travel 101™!
You know you're at the right place when you visit Award Travel 101™, and you see this picture of Richard (the founder of Award Travel 101™) with his son. Who do you think is more excited to be flying today?
What Makes Award Travel 101 Unique?
If you head over to Facebook and request to join, you’ll notice that the community is closed, which means only members can see the content. Every membership request is manually screened for approval. We keep spammers out, ensure no fake accounts get in, and keep unwanted solicitation from being a part of Award Travel 101™.
Our community is a friendly environment for people to share and learn about points and miles; there’s no room for spam, self-promotion, or grouches. Make sure you’ve got a profile picture (so we know you’re real), and if you’re new to Facebook, we’ll ask you to hold off a few months before joining the group so you can get your feet wet. There’s no cost to participate, and there never will be.
Here’s what you’ll see (on mobile or desktop) when looking to join Award Travel 101™:
In addition to questions submitted by community members, Award Travel 101™ has a weekly calendar of featured posts focused on different aspects of award travel. Our schedule looks like this:
- Monday – #DecisionMonday: Wondering which credit card should you get next or have specific questions about your card benefits? Credit cards are a massive part of points and miles accumulation; post your question, and we’ll make sure they all get answered.
- Tuesday – #AT101Live – Video with Richard at 9 PM US/Eastern: Richard (our community founder) picks a topic and runs with it; from the best redemption strategies for Hawaii to saving money on rental car insurance. Get answers to your questions live and in real time! We record each session so you can always access the video. If you’ve got something you’d like covered, share it in the comments!
- Wednesday – #WhereToGoWednesday: Wondering where to go next? What to do when you get there? Best restaurants, tour companies, or places to visit while you’re there? Ask all your questions that aren’t related to points and miles here! With 33,000+ members, you can be sure someone will have a recommendation for you.
- Thursday – #BourbonQA at 9 PM US/Eastern. Our rapid-fire, 1 hour non-stop Q&A on anything and everything. Bring your questions, and our moderators and group members answer in real time. It’s a fireside chat on steroids, and the moderator team typically has an adult beverage to help make it through the madness.
- Friday – #BragoftheWeek. If you haven’t already, this is your time to brag about a deal you got and how you did it! We highlight a member, and you post your wins in the comments! Sharing real examples is the best source of inspiration for everyone in the group.
Additionally, we host in-person events around the country! Get face to face advice on your travel goals, presentations on best uses of points and miles, and network with fellow community members and points and miles pros. Our last event was in New York City, and our next will be December 2nd near SFO. The full calendar is available only to group members, so if you’re interested, Join Award Travel 101™. Some pictures from our most recent event:
Award Travel 101™ joined the AwardWallet family in the Spring of 2017; we've been hard at work since then making sure we have a team to support the growing community.
Points and miles enthusiasts love AwardWallet almost as much as their points and miles (we hope), and we wanted to provide a place to share and learn from one another. Rather than build a community from scratch, we partnered up with the best community out there!
Award Travel 101™ was created in 2014 for a small group of friends to share ideas and strategies to help them achieve their travel goals using points and miles. Today, we have moderators around the globe keeping our community active, which includes over 33,000+ members and 1,000+ new members each month! There are hundreds of comments and ideas shared all day, every day!
Richard Kerr, the founder of Award Travel 101™, is a 9-year veteran naval officer, and Senior Points and Miles Contributor for The Points Guy. He’s one of the world’s foremost experts in the field, featured in Forbes, Money Magazine, Kiplinger Personal Finance and presented at #SXSW 2017.
Richard has flown 12 different international first-class products, visited over 45 countries, and spends his spare time dissecting loyalty program award charts to maximize the value of points and miles.
Join the Community, or post them as a comment here on the blog. We're here to answer!
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.