AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Capital One and Brex are each offering their cardholders a new promotion when transferring their (respective) points to Avianca LifeMiles. Now through July 2, 2021, cardholders can earn a 25% transfer bonus when converting either Brex or Capital One points to Avianca LifeMiles. LifeMiles is already a valuable program packed with value. These transfer promotions just sweeten the deal that much more.
A note about speculatively converting points. Although this can be a fantastic deal, transferring your points to LifeMiles without a plan to use them in the near future is probably not the best idea. Miles can devalue at any time or lose substantial value if the airline ceases to operate (and Avianca is working through reorganizational bankruptcy proceedings now). So, holding onto airline miles is a higher risk than holding onto bank points. Fortunately, transfer bonuses to LifeMiles are frequent. So, you don't have to worry about feeling the FOMO.
Capital One-LifeMiles Transfer Bonus
Capital One recently made some big changes to its points program. Most notably, Capital One improved the transfer rate to many of its partners — including Avianca LifeMiles.
And now Capital One is offering a 25% LifeMiles bonus when converting Capital One points to Avianca LifeMiles.
Capital One Transfer Bonus Key Terms
- Valid from June 1, 2021 (12:00 AM GMT-6) to July 2nd, 2021 (11:59 PM GMT-6)
- Convert Capital One rewards to Avianca LifeMiles and receive a 25% bonus
- 1,000 Capital One points will give you 1,250 LifeMiles with this promo
- Must transfer in increments of 100 Capital One points with a minimum of 1,000
- No max on the number of points you can transfer
- Bonus LifeMiles are awarded at the time of transfer
- Based on AwardWallet tracking, transfers from Capital One to Avianca should be immediate
Earning Capital One Points
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card — Earn 100,000 Miles when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. Annual fee: $95
- Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card — Earn 20,000 Miles once you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening. Annual fee: $0
- Capital One Spark Miles for Business —Earn 50,000 Miles once you spend $4,500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening. Annual fee: $0 intro for first year; $95 after that
- Capital One Spark Miles Select for Business — 20,000 Miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. Annual fee: $0
Brex-LifeMiles Transfer Bonus
Brex is a newcomer to the transferable points party, and this LifeMiles promotion is the very first one they have offered. Because Brex is new for everyone, here are the instructions on how to transfer your Brex points to airlines.
It's important to note that you won't see the transfer bonus reflected on Brex's website when you transfer:
Instead, LifeMiles will add the 25% bonus once it arrives in your LifeMiles account. LifeMiles explains in the terms and conditions: “The bonus miles and the transferred miles will be reflected in the account statement in two different transactions.”
Brex Transfer Bonus Key Terms
- Valid from June 1, 2021 to July 2, 2021.
- Receive a 25% LifeMiles bonus when you transfer your points from Brex.
- This bonus will be added by LifeMiles after the transfer.
- Brex states points must be transferred in increments of 1,000 but this report states that this is not enforced.
- Transfers should be instant, but we don't currently have a confirmed data point on that yet.
Redeeming LifeMiles for Avianca Flights
Using your Avianca LifeMiles when flying with partners is where most of its sweet spots lie, but there is still some great value to be found using LifeMiles on Avianca's own metal.
A roundtrip business class flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Bogota (BOG) runs 66,000 LifeMiles total. By taking advantage of either of these offers, this flight would cost you around 52,800 points. And remember that you can transfer Capital One points in increments of 100 — instead of the more common option of 1,000.
Colombia is an amazing country full of art, history, and a rich culture with some of the most hospitable and friendly people. I highly recommend a visit and thanks to LifeMiles, it's cheap and easy.
You can hop a quick flight from Bogota to Medellin, Colombia (pictured in the photo) using just 2,250 LifeMiles — or just 1,800 transferred points during the 25% bonus promotion.
Redeeming LifeMiles on Partner Airlines
Avianca is part of the Star Alliance airline partnership which means that LifeMiles can be used to book flights on any of their 26 partners. And Avianca doesn't tack on carrier-imposed fees for their partner award bookings. So, using LifeMiles is a great way to save a lot of cash on notoriously expensive flights–expensive due to the crazy fees airlines add on.
One of my favorite Avianca partner sweet spots is for short-haul domestic flights on United Airlines. Flights run just 7,500 LifeMiles one way but can sometimes price even lower.
I lived in Colorado for years and flights from my small town of Grand Junction cost a small fortune but using LifeMiles can save a lot of cash. The flight runs just 6,500 LifeMiles — which requires just 5,200 LifeMiles when transferring from Brex or Capital One during the 25% transfer bonus.
A few other amazing sweet spots for Avianca include:
- Economy class flights from the US to Australia or New Zealand for 35,000 LifeMiles (28,000 with the 25% bonus) one-way.
- 22,500 miles in business class within North Asia
- 25,000 LifeMiles (20,000 with 25% promotion) in business class transcontinental within the U.S.
- 63,000 miles in business class to Europe
- 78,000 miles in business class to the Middle East
- 87,000 miles (69,600 points with the 25% transfer promo) in first-class to Europe (Lufthansa with no fuel surcharges)
Through July 2, 2021, Capital One or Brex cardholders can receive a 25% boost on their LifeMiles when converting points to Avianca LifeMiles.
Speculatively transferring your miles isn't recommended, and ultimately, not necessary as transfer bonuses are somewhat frequent. But, if you do have an upcoming trip, this could be an amazing way to get even better value out of an already valuable program.
Will you be taking advantage of this promo and converting your points to Avianca LifeMiles?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.