AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
A typically overlooked feature of AwardWallet is that we track loyalty programs beyond the travel niche; in fact, we track about 700 programs across the globe. The list includes fuel points, dining programs, and even shopping rewards. For example, AwardWallet tracks both Sephora points and elite status within the Beauty Insider program. Sephora is an easy merchant to quadruple dip (4x) with points when paired up with online shopping portals.
Sephora’s loyalty program consists of three different elite tiers (Insider, VIB, and VIB Rouge). The highest tier (VIB Rouge, achieved when you spend $1,000 in a calendar year on Sephora merchandise purchased online, at Sephora stores, at Sephora inside JCPenney stores or Sephora merchandise online at jcpenney.com) gives unlimited access to the Beauty Studio. This essentially means that a VIB Rouge member could receive full makeovers every day of the year. This service typically requires a minimum purchase of $50 per session. VIB Rouge members also enjoy unlimited free 2-day shipping on all orders along with early access to products and events, earning 1.5 points per dollar spent, and more (Beauty Insider Benefits).
How to Maximize Your Rewards Earning with Beauty Insider
Unfortunately, Sephora doesn’t fall into any traditional credit card bonus category, so when shopping at Sephora, you'll want to use a credit card that maximizes your everyday spending. Instead of only earning 1 point per dollar on a rewards earning credit card, follow these steps below to maximize your Sephora purchases across multiple loyalty programs. This quadruple dip will earn rewards across 4 different reward programs!
Before navigating to either Sephora or your favorite online shopping portal, make sure to download the United MileagePlus X app to your mobile device. This mobile app is completely separate from the United MileagePlus online shopping portal. It allows MileagePlus members to purchase virtual gift cards for various merchants. There is also a feature which searches for merchants closest to your location. You can use the gift cards for online purchases and within brick and mortar stores.
Note: Unlike other miles earning methods, these United miles immediately post to your account. In our experience, this is the fastest and easiest way to ensure your MileagePlus miles don't expire.
Step-by-step walkthrough of my latest online transaction:
- Log in to Sephora account
- Choose items and add them to cart. Total of $207.85
- Launch the United MileagePlus X mobile app which sells Sephora gift cards and earns 3 United miles per dollar spent
- Purchase a $210 gift card and immediately earn 630 United miles.
- Close Sephora browser tab
- Log into American Airlines shopping portal (offering 10 miles per dollar at the time of purchase)
- Search for Sephora through AA shopping portal and click to Sephora
- Complete checkout where previously selected items should be saved in the shopping cart
- Use the just purchased gift card as payment
Total rewards earned:
- 315 Chase Ultimate Rewards – Purchased $210 Sephora gift card through MileagePlus X earning 1.5 Ultimate Rewards/dollar with Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- 630 United MileagePlus miles – 3x earning through MileagePlus X app
- 1,920 American Airlines miles – $192 item purchase (pre-tax purchase amount)
- 288 Sephora points – 1.5 points per dollar (pre-tax amount) thanks to VIB Rouge status
Sephora is listed on most cash back, airline, and hotel shopping portals. My example used American Airlines because its online shopping portal was offering 10 miles per dollar spent at the time of purchase. The standard earn rate is 2 miles per dollar, but portals frequently offer mileage bonuses throughout the year. We've put together a post to help you figure out which portal is the most rewarding, be sure to verify the earn rates before you check out as they regularly change. The MileagePlus X app is a great way to easily stack-in another layer of rewards earning — just make sure you don't plan on returning merchandise, otherwise, you'll need to start tracking gift card balances.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.