AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
We're a little late to the party on this one, but there is still time to book. United MileagePlus is currently offering economy award tickets from the U.S. to Tahiti with a 35-45% discount, depending on your elite status. This deal must be booked by midnight tomorrow, so act fast.
When & Where
Up to 45% off award flights isn't limited to one airport either. Non-stops depart from the West Coast, but itineraries from other cities can be booked for the same low price. However, tickets must be booked before 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on January 24, 2020, and discounted dates extend through March 12, 2020. Listed below are some examples from my home airport.
Checking out the value of your miles against the cash cost should help you determine if it's worthwhile or not. In the above example, my United miles are returning two cents each. This is a reasonable return, but it may not be ideal for those looking to fly in business or first class. Of course, using your United℠ Explorer Card will provide free checked bags for the cardholder and one other person along with Priority Zone 2 boarding. Should you choose to purchase food, beverage or Wifi, you also will receive 25% off any of those in-flight purchases.
Terms and Conditions:
- Discounted Award is only valid for travel in United Economy between the mainland U.S., Alaska, or Canada and Papeete (PPT), Tahiti.
- Tickets must be booked no later than 11:59 p.m. ET on January 24, 2020.
- Offer is valid for travel beginning on or after January 14 and completed on or before March 12, 2020.
- Blackout dates do not apply
- Discounted award is combinable with other award types as long as the itinerary is roundtrip (e.g., a member can book a Standard Award for the outbound portion of an itinerary and a Saver Award for the return portion or vice versa) but only the flight segments purchased with a qualifying Saver Award will be eligible for a discount.
- Discounted pricing will vary by itinerary and will vary among members based upon MileagePlus program status and whether or not members are United Chase cardholders. Please log in on united.com to see the offer pricing applicable to you.
We missed this offer when it initially came out, but this would be a great deal if you can put together a trip by tomorrow. Don't forget, United allows a 24-hour free cancellation window for award bookings—as long as you book at least 7 days in advance. If you think there's a chance you might want to follow through on the trip, consider booking something before the deadline, and use the day on Saturday to see if you can sort out the details.
Keep in mind that if you're transferring points from Chase, you won't be able to convert any miles back to Ultimate Rewards. If you end up canceling the trip, the miles will be refunded to your United account. If you need more time, it might be possible to use United's FareLock feature to give yourself up to seven days to decide. There could be some risk that United won't honor the discount due to the booking deadline, but if you can't decide for sure, it might be worth taking a chance.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.