AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Yesterday United announced an award sale to Europe offering a discount of 25% for round-trip economy class saver awards between the U.S. or Canada and Europe. Here is what you need to know about this sale:
- A 25% discount for all round-trip economy class saver awards between the U.S. (excluding Hawaii) or Canada and Europe.
- The sale is not valid for business class or first class travel.
- The sale is not valid for one-way awards.
- Awards must be booked by June 28, 2016.
- Travel must take place between August 23, 2016, and March 31, 2017. However, please note the following blackout dates: December 15, 2016, through January 8, 2017.
- The sale is only valid for United-operated flights (partner flights are ineligible for discount). Given that partner flights are not eligible for the discount, you will not receive sale pricing on any route requiring a connection in Europe as United doesn't operate any intra-European flights.
- United's roundtrip regular economy class award rate to Europe is 60,000 miles, so with the 25% discount, the rate goes down to 45,000 miles.
For all terms and conditions of sale visit United Saver Awards sale.
What if you have already booked an eligible United award itinerary?
In the past, I had managed to get United to provide a partial miles refund when I had already booked an award that has been subsequently eligible for an award discount. Therefore, if you have already booked a United round-trip economy class award to Europe for travel between August 23, 2016, and March 31, 2017 (and outside of the aforementioned blackout dates), give United a call and ask if they would be able to refund you the corresponding 15,000 miles. It never hurts to ask.
While this is probably not the type of award sale that you go out of your way to take advantage of, if you were already considering purchasing an economy class award to Europe for travel on discount-eligible dates, make sure you complete your booking on or before June 28, 2016, to save 15,000 miles per passenger.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.