AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express, The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express and Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
All information about Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card, Amex EveryDay® Credit Card, and Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card has been collected independently by AwardWallet
Using the best credit card for groceries can help you earn lots of extra points each year. Many of the top rewards cards earn extra points when you spend money with specific types of merchants. For many, groceries are one of the most useful of these “bonus categories”. In this post, we've assembled the contenders for the best grocery credit card.
If you're looking for information about whether you'll earn a bonus for purchases at a specific store, you can use our Merchant Lookup tool to see whether AwardWallet members have earned extra points on recent transactions.
- The Best Credit Cards for Groceries
- Top 12 Grocery Store Credit Cards
- Best Cards for Groceries in 2021
- Which Stores Earn a Grocery or Supermarket Bonus?
- Final Thoughts
The Best Credit Cards for Groceries
While the American Express® Gold Card is easily the best return in the short term, those looking to maximize returns for the long run will want a card with a permanent bonus on groceries. The ideal pick depends on your budget and whether you prefer points or cashback
Best Grocery Card for Families
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S., and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Satisfy your cravings and earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the American Express® Gold Card at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations. Enrollment required.
- Get a $100 experience credit with a minimum two-night stay when you book The Hotel Collection through American Express Travel. Experience credit varies by property.
- Choose the color that suits your style. Gold or Rose Gold.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 4X Membership Rewards® Points at restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S.
- 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X)
- 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com
- 1X on other purchases
- Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
If your grocery budget is $500 per month or more, there is a clear choice for the best grocery card. The American Express® Gold Card earns 4X Membership Rewards for every dollar spent at U.S. supermarkets—on up to $25,000 in spending per year, then 1X. While this card has a $250 annual fee (Rates & Fees), it comes with a great lineup of benefits that will justify the cost for many.
Check out our Amex Gold review for more details.
Best Grocery Credit Card for Modest Spending
- Sign-up bonus of $200 in cash back after you spend $1,500 on purchases in the first 6 months of account opening, issued as 20,000 ThankYou® Points
- 5% cash back in your top eligible spend category on up to $500 of purchses each billing cycle
- No rotating bonus categories to sign up for--the top earning category adjusts automatically each month to the eligible category in which you spend the most.
- Excellent intro APR offer on purchases and balance transfers
- No annual fee
- Earn 5% cash back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent
- 1% cash back thereafter, plus, you'll earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases
- No rotating bonus categories to sign up for – as your spending changes each billing cycle, your earn adjusts automatically when you spend in any of the eligible categories.
- Eligible spending categories are: Restaurants, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Select Travel, Select Transit, Select Streaming Services, Drugstores, Home Improvement Stores, Fitness Clubs and Live Entertainment.
A relative newcomer to the points and miles scene, the Citi Custom Cash® Card is a great fit for anyone that spends up to $500 per month on groceries. Unlike similar no-annual-fee cards in the same category, which typically feature rotating bonus categories, the Citi Custom Cash earns 5% cashback (issued as 5x ThankYou points) on the eligible category in which you spend the most each month, including grocery purchases.
If you spend ~$500 per month on groceries, you can earn 5X ThankYou points per $1 spent on up to $500 per month in grocery spending. If you also hold a Citi Premier® Card or Prestige card, you could transfer those points to any one of Citi's airline transfer partners, making this one of the best-earning rates available for grocery spending.
Even better, cardmembers can earn 50% more points when they use their card 30 or more times in a billing period. If you reach this goal, you'll earn a total of 4.5X MR per dollar at U.S. supermarkets. While this card is excellent for a modest grocery budget, purchases above the $6,000 annual cap will only earn one Membership Reward per dollar (or 1.5X if you earn the 50% bonus).
Best Grocery Cash Back Credit Card
- Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Buy Now, Pay Later: Enjoy $0 intro plan fees when you use Plan It® to split up large purchases into monthly installments. Pay $0 intro plan fees on plans created during the first 12 months from the date of account opening. Plans created after that will have a monthly plan fee up to 1.33% of each eligible purchase amount moved into a plan based on the plan duration, the APR that would otherwise apply to the purchase, and other factors.
- Low Intro APR: 0% on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months from the date of account opening. After that, your APR will be a variable APR of 19.24% - 29.99%. Variable APRs will not exceed 29.99%.
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%).
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations.
- 3% Cash Back on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more).
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- Get up to $120 in statement credits annually when you pay for an auto-renewing subscription to Equinox+ at equinoxplus.com with your Blue Cash Preferred® Card. That's $10 in statement credits each month. Enrollment required.
- Thinking about getting the Disney Bundle which can include Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+? Your decision made easy with $7/month back in the form of a statement credit after you spend $9.99 or more each month on an eligible subscription (subject to auto renewal) with your Blue Cash Preferred® Card. Enrollment required.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%)
- 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases
- Cash back is issued as a statement credit.
If you prefer cashback, the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is our top recommendation, earning 6% at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%). Cash back is issued as a statement credit..
This card's simplicity is its most attractive feature. Cashback gives you maximum flexibility, and unlike the Amex EveryDay Preferred, you won't have to worry about completing 30 transactions each statement cycle to maximize your earnings. On the other hand, Membership Rewards are one of the most valuable types of rewards, thanks to the impressive lineup of Amex transfer partners.
Best Grocery Store Credit Cards with No Annual Fee
It doesn't always make sense to choose a premium card that charges an annual fee. If your monthly budget is small, the best card for groceries may be one without a fee that cancels out some of the rewards you earn throughout the year. In addition to the Citi Custom Cash, top no-annual-fee cards for groceries include:
Amex EveryDay® Credit Card earns 2X Membership Rewards at U.S. supermarkets—up to $6,000 per year, then 1X. If you make 20 or more purchases in a billing period, you'll earn a 20% bonus, bringing your total to 2.4 MR per dollar.
As you may have noticed, both of these cards have a more expensive big brother that comes with a higher earning rate. Here's how to decide if you'd be better off with the no-annual-fee version of the cards:
- EveryDay cards – If you spend more than $2,484 a year on groceries (provided you reach the 20% and 50% spending thresholds each month), you’ll come out ahead paying the $95 annual fee on the Amex EveryDay Preferred over the Amex EveryDay.
- BlueCash cards – If you spend more than $3,176 a year on groceries, you’ll come out ahead paying the $95 annual fee on the Blue Cash Preferred (Rates & Fees) over the Blue Cash Everyday.
Top 12 Grocery Store Credit Cards
We think the cards highlighted above are the leaders in their respective categories. However, there are other grocery store credit cards you might want to consider. To make it into the grocery card comparison table below, candidates had to provide at least a 2% return. To help you decide if one of these deserves a place in your wallet, we also dusted off the calculator to run some concrete numbers. We based these calculations on the $6,000 annual spending cap on most of the Amex cards.
Best Cards for Groceries in 2021
|Credit Card||Points Earned on Groceries||Other Bonus Categories||Return on $6,000 Grocery Spend||Annual Fee|
|American Express® Gold Card||4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).||4X points at restaurants|
3X points on airfare on a scheduled flight charged directly with the airline or amextravel.com (charter flights/private jet flights excluded)
|$408 (based on 1.7¢ per MR point) - A potential annual return of $1,700 if you max out the $25K spending cap on groceries||$250 - Rates & Fees|
|Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card||3X points at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year (then 1X) + make 30 or more purchases in a billing period and earn 50% extra points||2X at U.S. gas stations||$459 (based on 1.7¢ per MR point)||$95|
|Citi Custom Cash® Card||Earn 5% cash back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent (categories include grocery spending)||Earn 5% cash back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent (other bonus categories include Restaurants, Gas Stations, Select Travel, Select Transit, Select Streaming Services, Drugstores, Home Improvement Stores, Fitness Clubs and Live Entertainment)||$300 if redeemed as cash back, or $510 (based on 1.7¢ per TY point)||$0|
|Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express||6% at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%). Cash back is issued as a statement credit.||6% back on select US streaming services|
3% back on transit, including trains, taxi cabs, rideshare services, ferries, tolls, parking, buses, and subways
3% cash back at U.S. gas stations. Cash back is issued as a statement credit.
|$360||$0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95. - Rates & Fees|
|Amex EveryDay® Credit Card||2X points at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year (then 1X) + make 20 or more purchases in a billing period and earn 20% extra points||N/A||$244.80 (based on 1.7¢ per MR point)||$0|
|Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express||3% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%.||• 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations, on up to $6,000 per year, then 1%.|
• 3% Cash Back with U.S. online retailers (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%)
|$180||$0 - Rates & Fees|
|Alliant Cashback Visa® Signature Credit Card||3% cash back in year one & 2.5% cash back after||N/A||$180 in year one & $150 thereafter||$59 annual fee, waived the first year|
|Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card||6X at U.S. supermarkets||12X at Hilton properties|
6X at U.S. gas stations
3X for all other eligible purchases
|$144 (based on 0.4¢ per HH point)||$95|
|Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card||2 Miles per dollar on every purchase, every day.||2 Miles per dollar on every purchase, every day. 5 Miles per dollar on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel.||$120 (minimum if redeemed at fixed-rate of 1¢ per point, potentially much higher if transferred to airline partners)||$95|
|Capital One Spark Miles for Business||Earn unlimited 2X miles per dollar on every purchase, everywhere, no limits or category restrictions, and miles won't expire for the life of the account. Unlimited 5X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel||N/A||$120 (minimum if redeemed at fixed-rate of 1¢ per point, potentially much higher if transferred to airline partners)||$0 intro for first year; $95 after that|
|Fidelity® Rewards Visa Signature® Card||2% cash back on every purchases||N/A||$120||$0|
|Savor Rewards from Capital One||3% at grocery stores||4% cash back on dining, entertainment, and popular streaming services. Plus, earn 8% cash back on tickets at Vivid Seats through January 2023.||$180||$95|
Which Stores Earn a Grocery or Supermarket Bonus?
One of the big challenges with all bonus categories is predicting whether a merchant will qualify before you swipe your card to make a purchase. You won't find an official list of Amex supermarkets or Chase grocery stores from either card issuer. However, you can type a local business name into our merchant lookup tool to see which rewards cards earned bonus points on recent transactions.
Our reverse lookup tool takes the opposite approach. Start with a card and choose a category and you'll see a list of merchants that should qualify for the bonus. The data for both tools is crowdsourced from AwardWallet members, so it isn't perfect. But, if you pick the Amex Gold and “Grocery Stores” in the reverse lookup, you'll get a much more detailed list of Amex supermarkets than you'll find on the American Express website.
Here are the specific exclusions noted by Amex and Chase:
- Amex: “… superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets…”
- Chase: “… not including Target® or Walmart® purchases…”
For new cardmembers, the American Express® Gold Card is offering the best return we've seen on groceries. If you are locked out of Chase cards due to Chase's 5/24 policy or looking for the best card to hold after the first 12 months, any of the top five Amex cards will return a handy sum of points or cashback on grocery spending.
Have a favorite credit card for grocery purchases we’ve left off the list? Let us know in the comments below.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: American Express® Gold Card (Rates & Fees), Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express (Rates & Fees), and Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.