AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
American Express is running a big increased offer on the American Express® Gold Card. The welcome bonus increased to 60,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 6 months. Not only is the new bonus a huge jump from the previous offer of 35,000 points, but you also have six months to complete the minimum spending requirement!
The American Express® Gold Card features compelling bonus categories focused on food and travel. Plus, cardmembers can take advantage of a bunch of annual travel and dining credits. If maximized, these credits can almost completely offset the annual fee year after year.
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Get up to 12 complimentary months of an Uber Eats Pass subscription when you enroll with your Gold Card by 12/31/21.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery.
- 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X)
- 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com
- 1X on other purchases
- Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
Increased Amex Gold 60,000 Point Welcome Offer
New Amex Gold cardmembers can earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 6 months. That's an incredible welcome bonus on a card that's already a points-earning machine.
Comparatively, the previous 35K welcome offer was lackluster at best. The increased 60,000-point offer almost doubles the initial value received when you sign up for this card. That makes it more competitive with cards with a similar annual fee.
60,000 Membership Rewards points can return a ton of value when transferred to one of Amex's airline transfer partners. For example, when transferred to Iberia, you could book round-trip business class flights to Spain for 68,000 points during off-peak dates. Or, transferred to Virgin Atlantic, you could book a one-way Delta One business-class award to Europe for just 50,000 points.
Points Earning Potential and Category Bonuses
The long-term earning potential is where the Amex Gold truly shines. The card features a monster 4X Membership Rewards points on dining, making it one of the best cards for dining purchases. You'll also get 4X at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X). These ensure a top return on your food spending.
The American Express® Gold Card earns:
- 4X points at restaurants
- 4X points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X)
- 3X points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com
- 1X on all other purchases
The caveat to the high return on supermarket spend is that only purchases within the U.S. qualify. If you're overseas or travel internationally, you'll earn just one point per dollar at supermarkets. So, it's worth finding another card that doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees and has a better return. But, for U.S. supermarket purchases, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better return than on the Amex Gold.
The Amex Gold earns 3X on airfare if purchased directly from the airline or via AmexTravel. However, you'll want to use one of our top cards for travel purchases instead of the Amex Gold when purchasing airfare from an online travel agency like Expedia or Priceline.
Amex Gold Feature Benefits
In February of 2020, the Amex Gold made some changes to several ongoing benefits. Here are the most valuable perks for new and current cardholders.
$120 Uber Cash Credits and Uber Eats Pass
Cardmembers will receive $10 in monthly Uber Cash credit good for Uber rides or Uber Eats. That's up to a value of $120 per year. This benefit started arriving in cardholders' Uber accounts in early February 2021. In addition, cardmembers will also get a complimentary Uber Eats Pass — which typically costs $9.99 per month. (You must enroll by 12/31/2021). After your complimentary first year, Uber Eats Pass will auto-bill bill at the normal subscription rate—starting 12 months after enrollment. So make sure to set a reminder to decide if you want to continue the service on a paid basis.
Amex Disclosure: Uber Eats Pass may be available on orders of $15 or more at eligible restaurants. Taxes and serivice fees may apply but they do not count towards the $15 order minimum. $119 annual savings estimate based on $9.99 monthly price. Enrollment required by 12/31/2021; after complimentary offer, Uber Eats Pass will bill at the the-current monthly rate. Please see full terms for more details.
Just how valuable these new Uber benefits are will vary by cardmember. But we see these additions firmly cementing the Amex Gold as one of the best cards for dining and food delivery (if not the best card). Check out our post on the Amex Gold Uber credit for more details.
To take advantage of the Uber Cash benefit, just add your Amex Gold as a payment method in your Uber account. Amex provides more details on its partnership with Uber and a link to enroll in the Uber Eats Pass offer here.
$120 Annual Dining Credit
The Amex Gold provides a $10 monthly statement credit for purchases at select U.S. restaurants. The credit is limited to purchases from GrubHub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, and participating Shake Shack locations.
While the individual restaurants may be hit-or-miss, GrubHub and Seemless allow you to order from dozens of local eateries and food trucks, so this benefit should be relatively easy to use if you order delivery at least once a month. That said, coverage may not be great in rural areas, so take a look at the options before you add this $120 in credits to your personal calculations.
Trip Delay Reimbursement
Following a major overhaul of Amex card benefits, the Amex Gold now offers trip delay reimbursement if your travel is delayed more than 12 hours due to a covered reason. You'll get up to $300 towards eligible expenses like food, toiletries, and accommodation. Cardmembers can make two claims every 12 months.
Purchase Protection Benefits
The Amex Gold also offers some handy purchase protection and extended warranty perks:
- Purchase protection: Coverage up to $10,000 per occurrence, and $50,000 per year. Protects eligible purchases that are accidentally lost, stolen, or damaged in the first 90 days from the purchase date.
- Extended Warranty: Adds an additional year to the original manufacturer's warranty where the warranty is five years or less.
No Foreign Transaction Fees
While not especially flashy, this is an essential card benefit for anyone who often ventures abroad. You'll pay no foreign transaction fees (Rates & Fees) for purchases made overseas on the Amex Gold. Foreign transaction fees can add as much as 3% to every purchase outside the U.S. if you use the wrong card, and those costs can add up fast.
Amex Gold vs. The Competition
Because of its $250 annual fee, the Amex Gold sits awkwardly in between mid-tier cards with annual fees around the $100 mark and ultra-premium travel cards with fees north of $450.
However, we see both the Chase Sapphire Reserve® and Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card as direct competitors to the Amex Gold. The Sapphire Preferred returns a smaller 2X points on travel and dining spend (and no bonus on supermarket spending), and currently offers a signup bonus of 100,000 points. Plus a much lower annual fee.
If you factor in the $300 travel credit offered on the Sapphire Reserve, it cuts the annual fee down to match the Amex Gold‘s $250 annual fee. But the Sapphire Reserve offers extra perks like a Priority Pass membership and Global Entry/TSA credit — perks that add extra value to the card over the long term.
The Citi Premier® Card is another great alternative. The card currently offers an increased bonus of 60,000 ThankYou points after meeting the minimum spending requirements and offers some excellent bonus categories.
- 60,000 point signup bonus worth $750 towards airfare through the ThankYou Travel Center, or potentially much more when transferred to airline partners
- 3X points per $1 on airfare and hotels and at gas stations, restaurants, and supermarkets
- Annual Hotel Benefit: Save $100 off a single hotel stay of $500 or more (excluding taxes and fees) when you book through ThankYou.com
- No foreign transaction fees
- $95 annual fee
- 3X points per $1 spent on airfare, hotels, and at gas stations
- 3X points per $1 spent on dining at restaurants, including cafes, bars and lounges
- 3X points per $1 spent at supermarkets
- 1X points per $1 spent on all other purchases
Cardmembers who opened their Citi Premier account before April 10, 2020 will also earn 2X points on entertainment and 3X points on a broader range of travel purchases through April 9, 2021.
American Express has a standard ‘one bonus per product per lifetime’ restriction. So, you won't be able to earn the welcome bonus on the Amex Gold if you have had this card or the Premier Rewards Gold Card in the past.
In addition, Amex has added language to its card application terms further restricting who can get the welcome bonus. Amex will also take into account the number of American Express cards you’ve opened and closed — plus “other factors” that aren't disclosed — in determining your eligibility to receive the welcome offer:
“Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card or the Premier Rewards Gold Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.”
Keep in mind that the Amex Gold is not a traditional credit card. That means that it isn't subject to the unwritten rule that Amex has in place about the number of Amex credit cards you can hold.
The Amex Gold is a powerhouse rewards card delivering long-term value for cardmembers, provided you can take advantage of the annual travel and dining credits to help offset the annual fee.
It features useful bonus categories that can help you earn a significant balance of Membership Rewards points with your everyday spending. Plus, the increased bonus can kickstart your rewards earning efforts over the first few months.
This card is a winner and one worth keeping for the long term if you have large food spending purchases and/or can maximize the credits to justify paying the $250 annual fee.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: American Express® Gold Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.