AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
Amex has released a refreshed version of the popular American Express® Gold Card. Replacing the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, the American Express® Gold Card features compelling bonus categories focused on food and travel, a new dining credit to add to the existing airline credit, a fancy new metal card design, and an updated annual fee.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- Rates & Fees
- 4X Membership Rewards® points when you dine at restaurants worldwide.
- 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X)
- 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com
- 1X on other purchases
- Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
Amex Gold Welcome Offer
New Amex Gold cardholders can earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
While the Amex Gold is set to be a points-earning machine on dining and supermarket spend, when you compare the welcome offer to rewards cards competing in similar categories, even those with low or no annual fee, the offer leaves a bit to be desired.
Points Earning Potential and Category Bonuses
The revised bonus categories are where the new Amex Gold truly shines. The card features a monster 4x Membership Rewards points on dining worldwide and domestic supermarket purchases, making it one of the best cards for dining purchases.
The American Express® Gold Card earns:
- 4X points at restaurants worldwide
- 4X points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X)
- 3X points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com
- 1x on all other purchases
The caveat to the high return on supermarket spend is that only purchases within the U.S. qualify. If you travel internationally, you will get a better return swiping any card earning better than one point per dollar at supermarkets, provided the card doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees. For domestic supermarket purchases, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better return than on the Amex Gold.
Although the Amex Gold earns 3x on airfare if purchased directly from the airline or with amextravel.com, we still recommend swiping one of our top cards for travel purchases over the Amex Gold when purchasing airfare for a few reasons:
- We rate Ultimate Rewards as slightly more valuable than Membership Rewards, so 3x on the Chase Sapphire Reserve® or Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card provides a better return
- There is no need to purchase directly from the airline; you’ll receive bonus points on all airfare whether you purchase from the airline or through an OTA
Amex Gold Feature Benefits
$100 Annual Airline Fee Credit
Most folks will be familiar with Amex's airline incidentals credit. Cardholders select a qualifying airline from Amex's list. The $100 Amex airline credit covers incidental fees including airline change fees, lounge day passes & memberships, booking fees, and baggage fees.
$120 Annual Dining Credit
The Amex Gold provides a $10 monthly statement credit for purchases at select U.S. restaurants. The credit is limited to purchases from GrubHub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations. If you don't typically purchase food from these outlets, the $10 monthly credit will hold $0 value; however, if you can make use of them, you can add the additional $120 to the annual value the card returns.
Premium Roadside Assistance
No Foreign Transaction Fees
In addition to the standard ‘one bonus per product per lifetime’ language we know so well, Amex has added language to its card application T&Cs stating that they will also take into account the number of American Express cards you’ve opened and closed, plus other factors before determining your eligibility to receive the welcome offer.
“Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card or the Premier Rewards Gold Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.”
Keep in mind that the Amex Gold is a charge card, not a credit card, so it is not subject to the five-card cap placed on the number of Amex credit cards you can hold.
The redesigned category bonuses on the American Express® Gold Card place the card squarely in the ’daily use’ set of cards you pull out for both essential purchases like groceries, and when out and about dining with friends and family. Folks that previously held the Premier Rewards Gold Card won’t be eligible for the welcome bonus, but with the welcome offer being a bit ordinary, it’s not a huge loss when you factor in the value of the points you could accumulate on the card through regular spending.
If you can swallow the increased annual fee, we don’t see this as a card you acquire for the welcome bonus; rather, it’s a card you’ll keep for the long term.
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: American Express® Gold Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.