AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
One of 12 ongoing American Express transfer bonuses is a transfer bonus for transferring Membership Rewards points to Marriott Bonvoy. Typically, points transfer from Amex to Marriott at a 1:1 rate. For this promotion, you'll get 1.2 Marriott points for every 1 Membership Rewards point after the 20% bonus.
As you'll see below, that's not the best deal, but this offer may still be worth taking advantage of in certain cases.
Amex-Marriott Transfer Bonus Offer Terms
- Get 1,200 Marriott Bonvoy points per 1,000 Amex Membership Reward points transferred
- Offer valid until October 31, 2022
- Transfers must be made in increments of 1,000 Membership Rewards points
- Amex notes that transfers may take 5 days. However, AwardWallet points transfer tracking shows that a 1-hour transfer time is now typical.
- This transfer bonus only appears when users log in. So, it's possible that this transfer bonus is targeted.
Note that you will need to reenter your Marriott Bonvoy membership number into Amex if you have not transferred Membership Rewards points to Marriott since January 1, 2015.
Is This Marriott Transfer Bonus Worth It?
This Marriott transfer bonus doesn't provide a compelling opportunity for many travelers. Based on recent AwardWallet user redemptions, Marriott Bonvoy points are worth around 1 cents each. So, even after the transfer bonus, you're only getting 1.2 cents in value per Membership Rewards point. There are a lot of other uses for Membership Rewards points that provide a higher value.
However, transferring points can make sense depending on your situation. If you have an immediate need for Marriott points—or are using your Marriott points for very high value—it can make sense to take advantage of this promotion. Just make sure to do the math to see if it makes more sense to book with cash or use points through Amex Travel instead.
Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points Through Credit Card Bonuses
If you need more Marriott Bonvoy points, there are plenty of ways to do so through credit cards. You can currently earn:
- 30,000 bonus points when applying for the $0 annual fee Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
- 3 Free Night Awards when applying for the $95 annual fee Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
- 150,000 bonus points when applying for the $650 annual fee Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card (Rates & Fees)
Other Transfer Bonuses Right Now
This is not the only transfer bonus happening right now. Here are the others:
- American Express to Aer Lingus — 25% transfer bonus until September 30, 2022
- American Express to Aeromexico — 20% transfer bonus until September 30, 2022
- American Express to Air Canada — 15% transfer bonus until September 30, 2022
- American Express to Air France/KLM — 15% transfer bonus until September 30, 2022
- American Express to Avianca LifeMiles — 15% transfer bonus until September 30, 2022
- American Express to British Airways — 25% transfer bonus until September 30, 2022
- American Express to Hawaiian Airlines — 20% transfer bonus until September 30, 2022
- American Express to Hilton — 30% transfer bonus until September 30, 2022
- American Express to Qantas — 20% transfer bonus until September 30, 2022
- American Express to Virgin Atlantic — 30% transfer bonus until September 30, 2022
- American Express to Choice Privileges — 25% transfer bonus until October 31, 2022
- Get a 30% Bonus When Transferring Hotel Points to United Miles
We love American Express Membership Rewards for their value and versatility. But at a 1:1 base transfer rate, it rarely makes sense to transfer points to Marriott Bonvoy. And even with a 20% bonus, it still doesn't make sense for most cardmembers to transfer their valuable Membership Rewards points to Marriott.
With that said, this promotion helps sweeten the pot if you need to top off your Marriott account for a redemption.
Will you utilize this Marriott transfer bonus?
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.