AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
American Express just launched another bonus for transferring Membership Rewards points to Marriott Bonvoy. Typically, points transfer from Amex to Marriott at a 1:1 rate. For this promotion, you'll get 1.3 Marriott points for every 1 Membership Rewards point after the 30% bonus.
As you'll see below, that's not the best deal, but this offer may still be worth taking advantage of.
Amex-Marriott Transfer Bonus Offer Terms
- Get 1,300 Marriott Bonvoy points per 1,000 Amex Membership Reward points transferred
- Offer valid until October 31, 2021
- Transfers must be made in increments of 1,000 Membership Rewards points
- Amex notes that transfers may take 5 days. However, AwardWallet points transfer tracking shows that a 1-day transfer time is typical.
- This transfer bonus only appears when users log in. So, it's possible that this transfer bonus is targeted.
Note that you will need to reenter your Marriott Bonvoy membership number into Amex if you have not transferred Membership Rewards points to Marriott since January 1, 2015.
Is This Marriott Transfer Bonus Worth It?
This Marriott transfer bonus doesn't provide a compelling opportunity for many travelers. Based on recent AwardWallet user redemptions, Marriott Bonvoy points are worth around 1 cents each. So, even after the transfer bonus, you're only getting 1.3 cents in value per Membership Rewards point. There are a lot of other uses for Membership Rewards points that provide a higher value.
However, transferring points can make sense depending on your situation. If you have an immediate need for Marriott points—or are using your Marriott points for very high value—it can make sense to take advantage of this promotion.
If you get about as far away from the U.S. as possible, you can use your Marriott Bonvoy points at one of six Marriott properties in the Maldives:
You'll need to transfer at least 39k Membership Rewards points (before the transfer bonus) per night to book the least expensive property. That's not bad for an overwater villa. However, you'll want to do the math to see if it makes more sense to book with cash or use points through Amex Travel instead.
Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points Through Credit Card Bonuses
If you need more Marriott Bonvoy points, there are plenty of ways to do so through credit cards. You can currently earn:
- 60,000 bonus points when signing up for the $0 annual fee Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
- 125,000 points and one Free Night Award (worth up to 50K points) bonus points when signing up for the $95 annual fee Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card
- 150,000 bonus points when signing up for the $450 annual fee Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (Rates & Fees)
We love American Express Membership Rewards for their value and versatility. But at a 1:1 base transfer rate, it rarely makes sense to transfer points to Marriott Bonvoy. And even with a 30% bonus, it still doesn't make sense for most cardmembers to transfer their valuable Membership Rewards points.
With that said, this promotion helps sweeten the pot if you need to top off your Marriott account for a redemption, and with travel starting to open up again, perhaps now is a good time to take advantage of this deal.
Will you utilize this Marriott transfer bonus?
For rates and fees of the cards mentioned in this post, please visit the following links: Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (Rates & Fees)
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.