AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
The Canadian-based AIR MILES program launched what could be a very lucrative promotion. The new offer allows you to earn up to 125 bonus Air Miles per stay booked through the Air Miles Hotels & Cars travel hub. Also, depending on the property, you can earn up to a whopping 1,000 bonus Air Miles for each night of your stay.
For those participating in Air Miles, this can be a very useful promotion as the bonus miles earned from it can be redeemable for double digits of value.
Bonus Air Miles Key Terms
- Earn bonus Air Miles when you book hotels through the Air Miles Travel Hub as follows:
- 75 bonus miles when you spend C$249 or less.
- 100 bonus miles when you spend between C$250 and C$399.
- 125 bonus miles when you spend over C$400.
- Booking with the promotion must be made by May 22, 2023 (originally April 20).
- The Air Miles Hotels promotion stay window is through December 31, 2023.
- Members can also receive up to 1,000 bonus points per night for unique hotel stays.
- The promotion can only be used for one booking.
- 100% of the cost of your stay must be paid for by a credit card.
- The promotion does not stack with any other promotions.
How This Air Miles Hotels Promotion Works
When making a booking and earning points, your total earning is made up of three earning bands. Take, for instance, the Deerfoot Inn and Casino in Calgary. A one-night stay costing C$239 will earn you 490 Air Miles; these break down as follows:
- 11 Air Miles for spending C$239 at a rate of 1 Air Mile for every CA420 spent.
- 75 Bonus Air Miles for making a booking under C$249.
- 404 Bonus Air Miles that are derived from the promotion to earn up to 1,000 bonus miles per night.
Looking at another couple of examples of stays in the Calgary area during the same time, you can see the number of bonus miles varies wildly.
One thing to remember with this promotion is that the biggest bonus is that earned from the “up to 1,000 points” section. However, finding properties offering the maximum reward was difficult; there are lots of options where you can earn several hundred bonus points per night.
What Are Air Miles Worth?
What your Air Miles are worth depends on the type of Air Miles you choose to collect. Generally speaking, you can collect Cash Miles, Dream Miles, or both. When you sign up for the program, you select the percentage of each type you want to earn using a slider bar. You can vary the ratios anytime you want. However, once earned, you cannot convert one type of miles to another.
The type of miles you want to earn depends on what kind of thing you want to redeem them on. More about that is below.
The clue with Cash Miles is in the name they can only be used for vouchers and online and in-store cash like rewards (rebates and vouchers etc.). You can not use Cash Miles to book flights and other similar awards. Cash Miles have a fixed value, and you redeem 95 Cash Miles for C$10 of cash value. That rate gives Cash Miles a value of 10.5¢ CAD per mile.
That means this promotion could be broken down as generating the following values:
- 75 Air Miles (worth C$7.85 in value) when you spend C$249 or less.
- 100 Air Miles (worth C$10.5 in value) when spending between C$250 and C$399.
- 125 Air Miles (worth C$13.12 in value) when you spend C$400 or more.
Taking a look at the previous example in the Deerfoot Inn and Casino in Calgary. You could redeem 475 Cash Miles (of the 490 earned) for C$50 in value. For a stay that cost C$239, that is an excellent return of nearly 21%!
Dream Miles are similar to what you would think of as an air mile and are redeemable for flights and other non-merchandise rewards like car rental, hotel stays, and experiences. Unfortunately, your mileage will vary when it comes to working out the per-mile value of Dream Miles. This is due to the large number of variables that go into the cost of an award.
Online data points about the value of Dream Miles vary. On average, you should be looking to get the same value as Cash Miles, if not more. This variability is what makes it important that you choose carefully which type of miles you want to earn.
How to Earn Air Miles
Although there are several ways to earn Air Miles, the accumulation rates are relatively slow. Typically, you earn 1 Air Mile per C$20 spent. Looking at the Cash Miles redemption rates, you would need to spend C$1,900 to earn 95 Cash Miles. Redeeming those 95 miles for C$10 would yield an abysmal return of 0.52%!
That being said, you can earn Air Miles in a variety of ways, including:
- Earn miles when making purchases online or in person at participating partners.
- When shopping online via the Air Miles eStore.
- Earn miles for spending with one of the several Air Miles Co-brand credit cards issued by BMO or American Express.
- You can earn miles by participating in one of the various promotions offered during the year.
If you are an Air Miles fan and have upcoming travel plans that dovetail nicely with this promotion, it can be a nice bonus. However, the returns can be less than stellar, so it is probably not worth your while to change your travel plans to earn a few bonus Air Miles.
That said, things are different if you can leverage your bookings to earn a large percentage of the 1,000 bonus Air Miles per night. That is a fabulous return and may be worth reorganizing some of your travel plans for.
Will you be taking part in this promotion? Let us know in the comments below.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.