AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
This promotion has ended; please review current/active promotions.
Avianca LifeMiles has launched a new buy miles promotion that is valid through September 27, 2023. Until then, you can buy Avianca LifeMiles with up to a 135% bonus — or 140% bonus when registering through a special link. When maximized, you can utilize this offer to buy LifeMiles for as little as 1.38¢ per mile.
It's not the best LifeMiles promotion ever, but it could be worth it in some situations. Here are some times when buying LifeMiles at 1.38¢ could make sense — plus an offer you should watch for that might provide a better price.
Note on Buying Miles
We don't generally recommend buying miles without both a discount/bonus or a plan to use them. For most miles and points currencies, you're much better off building your stash for free through credit card earnings and transfer partners.
There are a couple of exceptions, though. When you can buy miles at a deep discount, it can make sense to do so if you can book a lucrative award redemption instead of paying for an expensive cash ticket. Moreover, if you only need a few more miles to complete that next, great redemption you're eyeing, purchasing miles can be the quickest, simplest way. Just make sure you do the math ahead of time to ensure you're achieving a value you're comfortable with.
It's also worth noting that Avianca recently completed a re-organizational bankruptcy. LifeMiles is a separate legal entity from Avianca. However, if Avianca were to get into financial trouble again, the value of LifeMiles could be significantly affected if Avianca were to cease operations and/or lose its Star Alliance partners.
Buy LifeMiles Key Terms
- LifeMiles promotion valid through September 27, 2023
- The highest tier in the publicly available promotion offers a 135% bonus — but you can get up to a 140% bonus by registering through this link for One Mile At A Time readers.
- Buy at least 1,000 LifeMiles to receive any bonus miles.
- Members can buy miles in increments of 1,000 LifeMiles.
- The maximum number of miles you can buy in a year is 200,000 miles. If you buy the maximum during this promotion, you will receive a total of 480,000 LifeMiles (200,000 purchases miles + 140% bonus).
The maximum number of miles you can purchase in one transaction to qualify for the 140% bonus is 200,000 miles. This will set you back $6,600 for a total of 480,000 LifeMiles. That's 1.38¢ per mile.
This is a tiered promotion. If you register through the OMAAT link, bonuses apply as follows:
- 1,000–20,000 miles: 135% bonus.
- 21,000–200,000 miles: 140% bonus.
Data points from AwardWallet users show that points purchases typically arrive within an hour.
60% discount on your next LifeMiles purchase via email (1.32¢ each)
When it rains, it pours! It seems as if LifeMiles has been feeling extra generous lately, offering a few overlapping deals these last few weeks. And if you're among the lucky, targeted members, that could potentially mean an additional 60% off your next LifeMiles purchase (1.32¢ per mile).
This offer is exclusive to LifeMiles members who have received this targeted email. This offer is valid for only seven days after receiving the promotion and for purchases made specifically through the link you receive in your email.
The total number of miles established in this targeted email will differ from member to member. Redardless of the maximum purchase amount, you'll get a 60% discount. Keep an eye out for the following deal in your inbox.
When Does Buying Avianca LifeMiles Make Sense?
Thanks to a reasonable award chart and minimal fees and surcharges, LifeMiles is among our favorite airline currencies for premium-class redemptions across the globe. As the currency of Avianca, Colombia's flag carrier, LifeMiles can be used for award bookings on any of the airline's Star Alliance and non-alliance partners. Great partners with fabulous premium products include Lufthansa, All Nippon Airways (ANA), and EVA.
Let's take a look at some of our favorite sweet spots of the program to demonstrate the kind of value possible when buying LifeMiles for 1.38¢ apiece.
Domestic flights on United
Perhaps one of the best uses of LifeMiles for many travelers is simply getting a decent mileage price on a domestic United flight. LifeMiles charges as few as 6,500 miles one-way for an economy award on United. By maximizing this sale, you can pay just over $95 (including taxes) to get enough miles to book one of these awards.
- Mileage rate: from 6,500 LifeMiles each way (+$5.60 taxes)
- One-way cost to purchase miles at 1.38¢ each: from $90 each way
- Round-trip cost for miles at 1.38¢ each: from $179 round trip
Washington D.C. — Tokyo in ANA Business Class
One of our favorite sweet spots is the Washington D.C. to Tokyo trip on ANA Business Class. Ever since the Los Angeles to Tokyo route was removed, we were on the lookout for prime candidates for our favorite ANA awards flights — and this one is certainly up there!
- Mileage rate: 90,000 LifeMiles each way ($26.70 taxes from IAD-HND, $66.05 taxes from HND-IAD)
- Typical cash price: $13,419 round-trip
- Redemption rate: 7.5¢ per mile (based on a round-trip booking, after taxes)
- One-way cost to purchase necessary miles at 1.38¢ each: $1,242 each way
- Round-trip cost to purchase miles at 1.38¢ each: $2,484 round-trip
Chicago — Zurich in Swiss Business Class
- Mileage rate: 63,000 LifeMiles each way ($26.70 taxes from ORD-ZRH, $53.21 taxes from ZRH-ORD)
- Typical cash price: $5,145 round-trip
- Redemption rate: 4¢ per mile (based on a round-trip booking)
- One-way cost to purchase necessary miles at 1.38¢ each: $869 each way
- Round-trip cost to purchase miles at 1.38¢ each: $1,739 round-trip
Washington D.C. — Dubai in Turkish Business Class
- Mileage rate: 78,000 LifeMiles each way ($12.91 taxes from IAD-DXB, $55.04 taxes from DXB-IAD)
- Typical cash price: $3,641 round-trip
- Redemption rate: 2.3¢ per mile (based on a round-trip booking)
- One-way cost to purchase necessary miles at 1.38¢ each: $1,076 each way
- Round-trip cost to purchase miles at 1.38¢ each: $2,153 round-trip
Maximize Your Purchase
Most programs sell points and miles through Points.com. LifeMiles is an exception, however, and sells its miles directly. Thus, these purchases should code as “travel” or “airline” on credit cards where these are bonus categories. Use these cards to maximize your purchase:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: Earn 5x Membership Rewards points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel — up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year, then 1x.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®: Earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points on anything that codes as travel after exhausting the $300 annual travel credit (which applies automatically to the first eligible purchases).
- Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card: Earn 3x Ultimate Rewards points on the first $150,000 of annual spending across bonus categories, one of which is travel; earn 1x after passing this spending limit.
- Citi Premier® Card: Earn 3x ThankYou Points on travel and transit purchases.
Other Ways to Earn Avianca LifeMiles
While cheap miles are great, an even cheaper way to grow your collection of LifeMiles is by converting flexible bank currencies. Avianca partners with multiple transferrable currencies:
Note that Marriott Bonvoy ended its longstanding 5,000-mile bonus for every 60,000 Bonvoy points transferred to LifeMiles.
Another way of accumulating LifeMiles is through Club LifeMiles. This subscription service lets LifeMiles members effectively buy LifeMiles monthly at a rate of as little as 1.41 cents per LifeMile — or even better if you have a LifeMiles credit card. Plus you'll get benefits like a 10% discount on Avianca award flights.
The best offer we've ever seen was to buy LifeMiles for just 1.2¢ each, so this current deal is not far off from that. It's easy to get more than 1.38¢ of value through LifeMiles' award chart. The question is whether you're willing to put up with the frustrations of the LifeMiles program and website to make it happen.
If you want to cash in on this promotion to buy Avianca LifeMiles at just 1.38¢ per mile, you have until September 27, 2023 to do so.
Are you going to buy Avianca LifeMiles with a 140% bonus?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.