AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Chase Freedom Flex℠ are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
Back in December 2020, Chase and Air Canada announced a pending partnership. Very few details were given about the partnership, though. At least until now! Beginning today, August 3, 2021, you can now transfer your Chase Ultimate Rewards to Air Canada's loyalty program, Aeroplan.
But wait! There's more. Chase will also be launching a co-branded Air Canada credit card sometime later this year. Details on the card haven't been released, but we know for sure now that it's in the works and coming soon.
- Beginning August 3, 2021, you can transfer your Ultimate Rewards to Air Canada's Aeroplan
- The transfer rate is 1:1
- A new co-branded credit card launching later this year
- Air Canada is launching a waitlist to hear more info on the new Aeroplan credit card and to reserve a 10,000 point bonus (which will be in addition to a currently unknown welcome offer).
Aeroplan Sweet Spots
Aeroplan is a founding member of the Star Alliance — which is great and all. But, what really sets it apart from its alliance partners is the ability to still use open jaws and stopovers. Additionally, Aeroplan does not charge airline-imposed fees on partner airlines. Instead, you'll pay a flat C$39 ($29) fee for all partner awards. For flights on airlines like Lufthansa, this amounts to hundreds in savings each way.
Shorthaul Flights under 500 miles in North America
Aeroplan uses a hybrid of distance-based and region-based award charts. Longer flights will cost more miles, but how much more will also depend on the specific zone. Aeroplan has 4 regions: North America, Pacific, Atlantic, and South America.
For flights under 500 miles in the North American region, redemptions are as low as 500 miles. This flight from New York to Toronto's cash price is about $200 one way, or you could pay 6,000 miles and $29.
Business Class to Europe
Another great way to use Aeroplan points is for business class redemptions to Europe. A flight from Dallas, Texas to Frankfurt, Germany on Lufthansa in its aspirational business class cabin runs just 70,000 Aeroplan miles.
Other Reasons to Love Aeroplan
- Aeroplan points are redeemable for every seat on all Air Canada flights — although you may have to pay a premium
- Air Canada Aeroplan partners with 40 airlines
- Countless routing possibilities. Aeroplan gives you the ability to add a stopover for just 5,000 points.
- Aeroplan family miles pooling — families are given the ability to combine points together for no additional costs.
- Flexible options to use points to pay for all or a portion of your trip using Aeroplan’s Points Predictor Tool.
Best Ultimate Rewards Earning Cards
If this new transfer partnership has you looking at Chase Ultimate Rewards with new eyes, here are the top offers on Ultimate Rewards-earning cards:
- Chase Sapphire Reserve® — Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card — Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card — New Cardmember Offer! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $8,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
If you have an Ultimate Rewards-earning card already, you can boost your balance by earning “cash back” through these cards and then combining the points with your Ultimate Rewards card.
- Chase Freedom Flex℠ — Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Plus, earn 5% cash back on grocery store purchases (excluding Target® and Walmart®) on up to $12,000 spent in the first year (that's $600 cash back!).
- Chase Freedom Unlimited® — Earn an extra 1.5% on everything you buy (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year) - worth up to $300 cash back. That's 6.5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 4.5% on dining and drugstores, and 3% on all other purchases.
- Ink Business Cash® Credit Card — Earn $900 bonus cash back after you spend $6,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card — Earn $900 bonus cash back after you spend $6,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
Aeroplan joining the Chase transfer partner lineup is huge news and makes the already amazingly valuable Ultimate Rewards that much more valuable.
Are you excited about this new partnership?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.