AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Offers for the Chase Freedom® are not available through this site. All information has been independently collected by AwardWallet and has not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer. Some offers may have expired. Please see our card marketplace for available offers.
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ is the latest addition to the Ultimate Rewards family. It has no annual fee and combines some of the best features of the Chase Freedom® (which is now closed to new applicants) and the revamped Chase Freedom Unlimited®.
Like the Freedom Card, the Freedom Flex offers 5% cashback on select categories that change each quarter. However, this new card's earning potential is significantly higher thanks to several bonus categories that we haven't seen before on Freedom cards.
- Earn a $200 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate. Enjoy new 5% categories each quarter!
- 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, our premier rewards program that lets you redeem rewards for cash back, travel, gift cards and more
- 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- No minimum to redeem for cash back. You can choose to receive a statement credit or direct deposit into most U.S. checking and savings accounts. Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open!
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 14.99% - 23.74%.
- No annual fee - You won't have to pay an annual fee for all the great features that come with your Freedom FlexSM card
- Keep tabs on your credit health - Chase Credit Journey helps you monitor your credit with free access to your latest score, real-time alerts, and more.
- Earn 5% on up to $1,500 on combined purchases in bonus categories each quarter you activate
- Earn 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Earn 3% on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services
- Earn 3% on drugstore purchases
- Earn 1% on all other purchases
Chase Freedom Flex Sign-Up Bonus
Eligible new cardholders will earn $200 cashback after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
It's a great offer, but the sign-up bonus on the Freedom Flex is just one part of this card's appeal. This is a card you want for its ability to earn you more points over the long term—without costing anything to keep in your wallet.
Chase Freedom Flex Earning Potential
The Chase Freedom Flex℠ offers four bonus categories:
- 5% on up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter in a rotating quarterly category
- 5% on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- 3% on dining purchases — including dining in, takeout, and eligible delivery services
- 3% on drugstore purchases
- All other purchases earn an unlimited 1% cashback
That means that the Freedom Flex offers many of the same bonus categories as the now-discontinued Freedom Card and the improved Freedom Unlimited. Like the Freedom Card, the Freedom Flex offers a rotating 5% category. And, like the improved Chase Freedom Unlimited®, the Freedom Flex earns 5% on travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% on dining, and 3% on drugstore purchases.
The only way that the Freedom Flex lags the enhanced Freedom Unlimited is the return on general spending. The improved Freedom Unlimited still earns 1.5% cashback on non-bonus purchases, but the Freedom Flex only earns 1% cashback.
Combine with a Sapphire Card to Maximize Benefits
As with the existing Chase Freedom cards, the cashback earned through the Chase Freedom Flex can be combined with points from other Chase Ultimate Rewards cards. This is great news if you or your spouse/partner have the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
By combining your Chase points, you can transfer points to 13 Ultimate Rewards airline and hotel partners. Or, you can get a better value when you book travel through the Chase Travel Portal or Pay Yourself Back.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022
- 5X points on travel purchased through Chase
- 3X points on dining at restaurants worldwide
- 3X points on eligible streaming services
- 3X points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart, and wholesale clubs)
- 2X points on all other travel
- 1X point per dollar spent on all other purchases
Check out this post for more details on how to build a team strategy with a Freedom and Sapphire card.
Mastercard World Elite benefits
Despite being a $0 annual fee card, the Chase Freedom Flex is a World Elite Mastercard—which is Mastercard's premium product. That means cardholders enjoy the full suite of World Elite benefits, including:
- Cell phone insurance — pay your cell phone bill with your Freedom Flex to automatically get cell phone protection against theft or damage. Up to $800 per claim and $1,000 per year.
- Lyft — earn a $5 credit for completing three rides in a calendar month
- DoorDash — new members get three free months of DashPass membership; DashPass members get $5 off their first 2 orders per month
- HelloFresh — earn 5% back on every HelloFresh order for use on future purchases
- ShopRunner — get two-day shipping and free return shipping at over a hundred online retailers
- Mastercard ID Theft Protection — get complimentary credit monitoring and ID theft resolution services
This is an incredible set of benefits, particularly for a no-annual-fee card. World Elite credit cards generally include some of the most expensive travel rewards credit cards, such as the $495 annual fee Citi Prestige® Card.
Who's Eligible to Get the Chase Freedom Flex
The Chase Freedom Flex has the same eligibility criteria as Chase's existing Freedom cards. That means you need to have good to excellent credit to be approved for the card.
Also, that means that the Freedom Flex is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. In short, Chase won't approve you for a new card if you've opened five (or more) new credit cards in the past 24 months. If you're not sure how many you've opened, here's how to check your 5/24 status.
The Freedom Flex is especially nice for those who were wary about signing up for both the Freedom Card and the Freedom Unlimited. Rather than trying to learn and maximize two cards, you can get most of the benefits of both cards through the Freedom Flex. Plus, you'll get the World Elite benefits that neither current Freedom card offers.
What do you think about the new Chase Freedom Flex℠?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.