AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Avios, the mileage currency for British Airways, Iberia, and Aer Lingus, has launched a promo with British Airways where you can pick up triple Avios on BA flights. You must register for the promotion before booking and take any eligible flights.
The promotion runs through March 31, 2017. One of the big positives around this promotion is its simplicity since you will earn triple Avios on any BA routes; there are no route or geographical restrictions. One note about the promotion is that the tripling only applies to the base Avios; status and fare class bonus Avios are not tripled.
Terms and Conditions
- The offer is valid for travel completed by March 31, 2017
- You must register for the promotion
- The promotion is only valid on travel booked during the promotion period after registration, pre-booked flights during the promotion period are ineligible
- The offer is valid on all BA routes as well as flights between Europe and North America aboard Finnair, Iberia, and American Airlines
- The promotion is only applicable to the first eight segments flown
- Bonus Avios should be credited to your BA Executive Club account within 48 hours from boarding the flight.
Is the Earing Significant?
Going through the British Airways Avios earning table below, you can see that flying the lowest economy fare yields Avios worth 25% of miles flown, lowest business class yields 150% split into 100% and a 50% fare class bonus, and full paying first yields 300% split as 100% base miles and 200% fare class bonus.
By using the BA Avios earning calculator for a sample flight from JFK to London, you end up with the following:
With some basic calculations, you would earn 2,594 instead of 865 Avios for the lowest economy fares, while for a full price first class ticket you would pick up 17,290 Avios instead of the usual 10,374.
Free points and miles are never to be shunned. A 3x bonus is generous, and if you have a few flights planned, this is an excellent opportunity to pick up some extra Avios. You need to keep in mind that you can only benefit from the promotion for eight flights. So, if you are flying regularly, you might consider maximizing your earnings on BA and then swap out your frequent flyer account number to another program to earn elsewhere.
Source: One Mile at a Time/Ben
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.