AwardWallet receives compensation from advertising partners for links on the blog. Terms Apply to the offers listed on this page. The opinions expressed here are our own and have not been reviewed, provided, or approved by any bank advertiser. Here's our complete list of Advertisers.
Back in mid-September, Hyatt announced a new round of elite status matches/challenges for American Airlines AAdvantage elites. This time around, AAdvantage elite members have the opportunity to match to get Explorist elite status in the World of Hyatt program. Then, you can extend that status through February 2025 by completing just ten nights in the first 90 days after registering.
Even better, AAdvantage Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elites can elevate to top-tier Hyatt Globalist elite status by staying 20 elite nights in the 90-day challenge period.
However, the deadline to register for this year's offer is November 30, 2023. So, this is your last call to take advantage of this year's World of Hyatt elite status match offer for AAdvantage elites.
World of Hyatt-American Airlines AAdvantage Partnership Overview
Hyatt and American Airlines announced their partnership in April 2019. The two-way partnership is designed to mutually benefit elite members of both loyalty programs with several reciprocal perks and offerings. Generally, the partnership consists of:
- World of Hyatt elite members earn 1x bonus World of Hyatt points on qualifying American Airlines flights.
- AAdvantage elite members earn 1x bonus AAdvantage mile at qualifying Hyatt properties.
- Elite members of both programs will get the chance to participate in special status matches/challenges.
- American Airlines Concierge Key members — AA's special invitation-only elite status — receive complimentary top-tier Hyatt Globalist status.
World of Hyatt Status Challenge for American Airlines Elites
American Airlines AAdvantage elites can register to immediately get Explorist status for 90 days. Then, you can challenge for either Hyatt Explorist or Hyatt Globalist depending on your AAdvantage elite status tier.
- You must register for this challenge by November 30, 2023.
- You will have 90 days after registration to complete the challenge.
- Hyatt status earned via challenge will be valid through February 2025.
- All AAdvantage elites can earn Hyatt Explorist by completing 10 elite-qualifying nights during the challenge period.
- Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elites can earn Hyatt Globalist by completing 20 elite-qualifying nights.
Both of these challenges will let you earn Hyatt elite status in one-third of the number of nights typically required. However, you're only given one-fourth of the year to complete the challenge. Still, the ability for AAdvantage Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum elites to earn top-tier Globalist for just 20 nights is particularly lucrative.
The terms and conditions also mention that eligible rates and award nights will qualify. However, elite-qualifying nights earned through spending on the The World of Hyatt Credit Card will likely not count for this challenge.
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening. Plus, up to 30,000 More Bonus Points by earning 2 Bonus Points total per $1 spent in the first 6 months from account opening on purchases that normally earn 1 Bonus Point, on up to $15,000 spent.
- Enjoy complimentary World of Hyatt Discoverist status for as long as your account is open.
- Get 1 free night each year after your Cardmember anniversary at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel or resort
- Receive 5 tier qualifying night credits towards status after account opening, and each year after that for as long as your account is open
- Earn an extra free night at any Category 1-4 Hyatt hotel if you spend $15,000 in a calendar year
- Earn 2 qualifying night credits towards tier status every time you spend $5,000 on your card
- Earn up to 9 points total for Hyatt stays - 4 Bonus Points per $1 spent at Hyatt hotels & 5 Base Points per $1 from Hyatt as a World of Hyatt member
- Earn 2 Bonus Points per $1 spent at restaurants, on airline tickets purchased directly from the airlines, on local transit and commuting and on fitness club and gym memberships
- Member FDIC
- Up to 9X points total per $1 spent at Hyatt - 4X points per $1 when you use your card at Hyatt hotels & 5X points per $1 you can earn as a World of Hyatt member
- 2X points per $1 spent at restaurants, on airlines tickets purchased directly from the airlines, on local transit and commuting and on fitness club and gym memberships
- 1X point per $1 everywhere else
Another factor worth considering is that Hyatt elite status earned through a challenge is considered “light” status. This is because you won't receive any of the Milestone Rewards you'd normally receive for completing the standard elite-night requirements. These include Free-Night Awards, Suite Upgrade Awards, and Club Lounge Access Awards.
World of Hyatt-AAdvantage Elite Status Match-Challenge History
Hyatt and American have offered four rounds of elite status matches/challenges — one each year. The original status match/challenge ended on October 1, 2019. Hyatt and American offered another match from March through September 2020, another round from July to September 2021, and most recently from August to November 2022.
At first, these status match-challenge offers were reciprocal. Hyatt elites could fast-track to AAdvantage elite status and AAdvantage elites could fast-track to World of Hyatt elite status. However, starting in 2022, AAdvantage started getting stingy about offering status matches to World of Hyatt elites.
Like last year, this status match/challenge is only being offered one way. AAdvantage elite status members can match their status to World of Hyatt and then challenge to keep it through 2025.
However, World of Hyatt elites aren't guaranteed a shortcut to AAdvantage elite status. Instead, AAdvantage members who linked their World of Hyatt and AAdvantage accounts are directed to check the promotions tab of their AAdvantage account for “an exclusive offer.” This is likely going to take the form of an AAdvantage Instant Status Pass offer.
When this Hyatt-American Airlines partnership was first announced in 2019, we honestly didn't know how often to expect these “special status-match challenges”. It's great to see that it's turning out to be a once-per-year opportunity.
This promotion offered a generous window to register. However, we are almost at the deadline to take advantage. AAdvantage elites can register for this promotion through November 30, 2023. So, now's your last chance to take advantage of this Hyatt status match.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.